You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Bike Carriers
Date Posted: 10.48hrs on Tue 10 Mar 09
We are thinking about getting new bike carriers....we currently have Thule Roof Carriers but are considering getting a Tow Bar fitted and buying a carrier to fit to the tow bar.
Can anyone offer any advice? What should we buy? Do the bikes get filthy from road 'spray' if they are carried at this level?. Would we be better to just get a boot mounted carrier which would cost a lot less (not really an issue) or what.

Any advice/info appreciated.

Regards
Olderalan
Niall Thomson

Last Visited: 04:54
3rd Aug 2019
Re: Bike Carriers
Date Posted: 13.44hrs on Tue 10 Mar 09
Thule towball racks are very good but this piece of kit is really in a league of its own imo:

[www.roofbox.co.uk]

HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 14.49hrs on Tue 10 Mar 09
Have used roof carriers in past, and don't like the way the bikes cantilever on winding roads, or the extra height. - Should be much more stable on the rear, and you can get spray covers for them if it's a problem.

I've been using a Pendle Carrier mounted off rear-door spare wheel for Freelander, and it was fine for 2 MTBs. - But I believe the towbar mounted units are stronger, and I'll be interested in this thread, since my new motor requires a towbar carrier to be fitted.

Depends on car, but I think most boot-strapped bike carriers will eventually scratch your paint, or start to slide about if not strapped up tight. - If you have a towbar, go with it. IMHO
cratermaker

Last Visited: 14:58
15th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.30hrs on Tue 10 Mar 09

I'd second the Pendle type: used them for years, no issues other than they get rusty and loose the adjustablity when they seize up. Very stable and easy to use.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: