You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Disc brakes - worth it?
Date Posted: 14.18hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
I'm about to buy a new bike for my son. It looks like I'm going to buy him an 14" (xsmall)adult Giant MTB, but I have noticed that I can get the disc brake version (Tektro IOX mechanical disc) for about £15 less as its on sale.

Not knowing about disc brakes for bikes, I don't know whether this would be overkill. I was happy with the setup on the standard version but seeing the disc version cheaper, has made me wonder whether or not it is a bargain and also appropriate, which in affect will be a "youths" bike?

BTW: The bike will be used "off road".

Any advice appreciated.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: Disc brakes - worth it?
Date Posted: 20.02hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
Even cheap mechanical discs are more effective than the best rim "V" brakes.
They're both more powerful and more controllable than rim brakes.
Easy maintenance, pads last much longer and they don't wreck the rims by grinding them away. What's not to like?
Tektro kit is basic but perfectly functional.

That positive enough..?
moffatross

Date Posted: 20.08hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
Discs every time. Much easier maintenance and less prone to fade when wet and muddy. Hydraulics are even easier to maintain than cable versions but the pad can be accidentally pushed out too far by the caliper if you inadvertantly squeeze the brake lever whilst a wheel is off. That's easily rectified by pushing it back in with a small ring spanner though. smiling smiley
WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 21.55hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
Thanks guys.

Not knowing about disc brakes, I needed some re-assurance that I was making the right decision and not buying an unnessary bit of kit that would cause future problems like cost and hassle to service.

Decision made smiling smiley

Cheers

R
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.45hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
yep - defintely disc brakes,
the extra cost of them for me over the years has easily been offset by cost of replacing worn out rims, time and cost
and believe me, having a rim collapse in the middle of nowhere is a royal pain in the rear end, i had a long walk once....at least if a brake fails you can still ride the bike, a collapsed rim and blown out tyre is a different matter

and then there is the faff of balancing the brake arms to central over the rim, and the hassle of buckled wheels with rim brakes
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 20.08hrs on Sat 4 Apr 09
My bike has the Tektro IOX brakes and I like them. Only thing to watch is that only the outer pad moves when you squeeze the brakes so you have to make sure the clearance on the inner pad is pretty close to the disc. Easily done as there is an allen screw adjustment only takes seconds to adjust.
cratermaker

Last Visited: 14:58
15th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.51hrs on Sun 17 May 09

I use both discs and high quality Vees in conjunction with ceramic rims.

Only in very wet/muddy and steep/long downhills do I see an advantage in discs. Which is why I use them on some bikes. However, the Vees weigh a lot less and can be field maintained, and they feel nicer on the hand.

Most folk I see with discs don't really need them for what they ride: extra cost, running cost, weight.

But great if you do need them. I also use them on the off-road tandem, when thay are essentail!!¬
moffatross

Date Posted: 19.45hrs on Thu 28 May 09
Most folk I see with discs don't really need them for what they ride: extra cost, running cost, weight.

The Hayes discs on my old Schwinn 4-Banger can lock up the knobblies going downhill at 40 mph even on tarmac & bum behind the saddle on singletrack, a combination of front and back brake can pull me to a stop in no time at all. At 40 mph, the v-brakes on my road bike scare the wits out of me, especially when twisty and wet.

As for cost, unless you're replacing old brakes, I don't really see it being an issue as most new mountain bikes will be sold with discs anyway.

Regarding extra weight, if you're an elite athlete with a body fat % in the low single figures then yes, the extra few 100gms might be a worthy consideration but for most of us, there's better weight to shed of our arses that'll make a whole lotta difference to our climbing. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.46hrs Thu 28 May 09 by moffatross.
cratermaker

Last Visited: 14:58
15th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.54hrs on Sun 31 May 09
moffatross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Regarding extra weight, if you're an elite athlete
> with a body fat % in the low single figures then
> yes, the extra few 100gms might be a worthy
> consideration but for most of us, there's better
> weight to shed of our arses that'll make a whole
> lotta difference to our climbing.
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.46hrs Thu 28 May
> 09 by moffatross.

Damn it man, you have been looking at MY arse! I really must do something about it smiling smiley

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: