You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
nobbynoo

Last Visited: 14:03
6th Apr 2012
What's this?
puncture proof tyres
Date Posted: 22.02hrs on Fri 20 Nov 09
does any no of a good tyre/tube that helps prevent punctures from thorns etc.
Jamie

Re: puncture proof tyres
Date Posted: 03.57hrs on Sat 21 Nov 09
Best option is to use slime in your tubes.

http://www.slime.com/index.php?p=view_category&category_id=3

It's basically a self-sealing layer that will both prevent and repair - it'll close up punctures as the wheels turn, and usually without losing air pressure.

It really does work - I had 2 punctures in 2 days this time last year (without slime in my tubes). In the year that has followed (estimate about 800hours in the saddle), with slime in my tubes I have had no punctures at all - even though I've been over plenty of glass and other nasties that would otherwise be deserving of such a thing.

Definitely recommend it.
Jim

Last Visited: 20:24
27th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 09.38hrs on Sat 21 Nov 09
Jamie, that Slime looks really neat - thanks for pointing it out. Need to check it out - sounds like a really good idea

Years and years ago, I owned a Mini 1275GT - basically a poor replacement for the original Cooper. Anyway, this variety of the Mini came with Denovo tyres (by Dunlop) as standard In the event of a puncture, they stayed inflated. It was a revolutionary idea at the time, but never really caught on.

I dont know how they worked, but presumably had some sort of fluid inside which reacted to pressure drop and solidified over the hole, or something like that. No need for a spare!

Cheers

Jim

James Westland
Isle of Mull, Scotland
www.mullgeology.com
=======================================================================================
"The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."
Thomas Henry Huxley
nobbynoo

6th Apr 2012
What's this?
Date Posted: 14.52hrs on Sat 21 Nov 09
will give it a go thanks
Robertio

Last Visited: 18:24
22nd Jun 2011
Date Posted: 20.45hrs on Sat 21 Nov 09
I've been using slime inner tube protectors for the last 2-3years and not had a puncture since. Prior to that I got them all the time on canal paths. The final straw was a 12 mile walk home pushing my bike, I decided I would not be doing that again.
nobbynoo

6th Apr 2012
What's this?
Date Posted: 22.19hrs on Sat 21 Nov 09
canal path yes had to walk home will get some slime asap
WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 10.54hrs on Thu 25 Mar 10
Is this stuff OK on road bike tubes?
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 15.43hrs on Thu 25 Mar 10
Yes, slime works fine on road bikes too. You can get ready filled tubes in road bike sizes or buy it by the bottle and fill your existing tubes by taking out the valve core; tricky with Presta type road bike valves though, much easier with fat Schrader valves.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: