You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
dj_colinbell

Last Visited: 12:45
16th Jan 2020
Mountain Biking for beginners (Glencoe)
Date Posted: 11.09hrs on Fri 16 Jul 10
Ive never done proper mountain biking, closest Ive got it coming down the Gleniffer braes on a bike as a kid.

Infact Ive not been on a bike too much since.........

Is it possible to head up to glencoe and hire the equipment and give it a go as a novice or is this something you should have a bit of experience?
Stefan

Last Visited: 18:46
16th Apr 2015
Re: Mountain Biking for beginners (Glencoe)
Date Posted: 14.44hrs on Fri 16 Jul 10
They were talking about developing a XC course there, so I would suggest asking if that is open because I think the DH track will be too hard for you. The film I made of the SDA race held on the DH track is on their website if you want to check it out. I've raced at expert XC level and I wouldn't even attept to ride the DH course. If you can get a bike, head to Glenshee, as their track is graded 'Blue', which is suitable for novices.
lynseyf

Last Visited: 09:16
26th Jan 2019
What's this?
Date Posted: 20.37hrs on Sat 17 Jul 10
If you want to get into mountainbiking I would see if you can borrow a bike off someone and just go out for a ride on the streets or some easy paths. If you haven't been on a bike since you were a kid then things like being in the right gear and standing up all the time might take a bit of getting used to. A couple of hours on easy ground will make any trip to the hills more fun. Once you are comfortable on a bike again it will be much easier tackling harder off-road trails.
Niall Thomson

Last Visited: 04:54
3rd Aug 2019
Date Posted: 08.02hrs on Sun 18 Jul 10
In terms of what they have on the hill - GC were working on an easier line (the Weasal track) this weekend however, even that is likely to be challenging given your lack of experience.

Far better option is to head out on the West Highland Way from White Corries itself. There are two out and back options:

1. West via The Kingy. Starts out on road (which will give you 15 mins to familiarise yourself with the controls) and pops back on to the A82 at Altnafeadh. Stay on the road for approx 3km until you see the old military road again on the r'h hand side. Dont be tempted to take the Singletrack that is signposted before this - its still the military road underneath but it's always very wet and it's technical riding. The old road continues for another 2 or 3km and ends just above Jimmy Saville's cottage. Stunning views of the Three Sisters as you enter the Glen. After this, the road (and then path) continues for another 3km on the other side of the A82 until you reach the minor road down to the Clachaig. Pretty sure there is some new pathwork along the North side of the river down to Signal Rock which you could play around on. Then head back the way you came or back via the road if you are knackered. Keep well in though - the road is always busy at this time of year.

2. East to Bridge of Orchy. This is a longer route but pretty much all 'offroad' or on minor road. You may have to push a couple of sections coming up from White Corries but the surface is excellent after 2km. Watch out for the memorial cairn to Peter Fleming on the right - worth the 10 min detour on foot to gain cracking views over the Moor and The Buachaille. Once you reach the Inveroran hotel you've got the option of turning round or continuing to Bridge of Orhy on the minor road or better still over the Mam Carraigh. Again this is likely to be a push up for you but the reward comes in the shape of spectacular views over Loch Tulla and beyond and then 3km of really sweet singletrack down to B of O. Depending on how fit you are there is no reason why you cant continue on the WHW to Auch. Failing that simply retrace your steps or back via the minor road to Inveroran.

If the bikes are fitted with Quick Release seatposts it's a good idea to drop the saddle a few inches for the tecnical descents - for everything else you want the seat high enough so your leg is almost straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Another worthwhile tip is to look 20m ahead - not at you front wheeel:-) As I've said - absoutely no shame in pushing on anything you aren't sure of. We've all been there...

Oh - you'll note that both options have pubs at the half way point ;-)

Good luck!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: