You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Daryl

Last Visited: 09:57
20th May 2016
MTB touring
Date Posted: 19.55hrs on Sun 8 May 11
Hi, I am planining to do some mountain bike tours in July, and need advice on best, most comfortable way to carry kit.

The two tours I am planning are the four day cairngorm tour and seven day coast to coast tour, both taken from the Paul mckane Lynn Scotland book.

Iam planning to be lightweight staying in hostels or bunkhouses. I think taking a trailer would be overkill, and also not sure if rack and rear panniers is best option. I was think maybe of combination of oframe bag saddle bag and light weight rucksack might be best.option.

I would appreciate advice on best way to carry kit for lightweight mtb touring?

Thanks a lot
Daryl

Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: MTB touring
Date Posted: 22.12hrs on Sun 8 May 11
Hmm..
I guess it depends on how you plan to do the routes and how technical the terrain is that you want to be riding.
I've been using an Edinburgh Bikes' trailer a few times lately and it is a bit of overkill, if you can do your trip super light.
However, there is a distinct limit on how much kit you can comfortably carry in a trail pack and stil enjoy technical riding. With essentials in small bags on the bike, merino clothes and daily shopping for food and sensible packing, it should be possible to do a whole week from a 25L backpack. That would still be fun.
Panniers are a pain off-road, unbalance the bike much worse than a trailer (higher centre of gravity but no muscular control) and are cumbersome. It's really surprising what you can ride with a trailer, mine managed the Gaick pass singletrack without a moment's hesitation.

Get some practice in on your local trails and see what you can cope with and still enjoy the trails.
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 06.49hrs on Mon 9 May 11
I'd agree on the panniers. Tried out a seatpost mounted bracket the other week and it really puts the bike off balance.

Maybe having 7kg of climbing kit in one pannier wasn't so sensible but even with only 1/2 the load it still felt odd.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 12.22hrs on Mon 9 May 11
Meant to add, trailer is at its best if there are two or three of you per trailer. Plenty of room for sensible B&B style kit without overloading, and you can share the chore of towing it. It's also a lot easier to get over fences and locked gates than a pannier'd bike is.
steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 16.35hrs on Wed 11 May 11
If you're riding off-road and its overa technically medium to hard terrain don't ride with panniers. You'll get them caught on your feet, branches, heather, rocks and when they're not doing that they'll fall off or get busted.
The only way to travel off road is with a small pack (<30litres) or a trailer.
Been there, done all of the above. Riding with a big heavy pack is very unstable, panniers are great on-road and easy trails but avoid like the plague off-road.
Like Hustler you should try before you set off will let you know what you're in for!
You should be able to squeeze enough stuff in a small pack for a few days but you'll need to be disciplined.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.36hrs Wed 11 May 11 by steelytail.
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 19.22hrs on Wed 11 May 11
Alpkit.com make a nice lightweight waterproof rucksack in 20 25 and 30 litre size, Ideal for biking. Just be very frugal with what you take.
paulww

Last Visited: 21:17
17th Feb 2015
Date Posted: 19.59hrs on Wed 11 May 11
Three of us did a three day route around the Cairngorms last year. Aviemore - Braemar (via bynack more and fords of Avon)- Blair Atholl (Via Glen Tilt) - Aviemore (via Gaick).

Stayed in BandB and Braemar and in Struan the second night. We took minimal kit and kept packs light enough to enjoy some amazing technical riding.

A light change of clothes is all you really need (plus plenty of bike spares!).
stuartm555

Last Visited: 16:03
3rd Nov 2018
Date Posted: 18.45hrs on Sat 21 May 11
Did the cairngorm tour a few years ago and just stayed in hostels. I used a saddle bag for tools and spares, water bottle on the bike and a small backpack for food / change of clothes / toothbrush! Definitely seems the best way as you can really enjoy the riding
Daryl

Last Visited: 09:57
20th May 2016
Date Posted: 11.49hrs on Sun 22 May 11
Cheers, think will deff go for the light omm style rucksack opition for 2-4 day tours, but will look at hire of trailer for .longer camping tours
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: