You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
naefearjustbeer

Last Visited: 23:28
22nd Nov 2015
Cairngorm on a bike
Date Posted: 09.57hrs on Thu 19 May 11
Might be having a short family holiday in the area in the summer taking the bikes. Now wife and kids will most likely pedal around the flatter routes lower down I fancy taking a ride up cairngorm, a cake in the Ptarmigan and back down to Aviemore. Never having been on the mounatain without snow I was thinking that The home road, zig zags and traverse would be a good route up. Now there are paths marked on the OS maps but I wonder how bikable they are I would like a single track route back down if there is such a thing rather than retracing my tracks back down.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: Cairngorm on a bike
Date Posted: 13.07hrs on Thu 19 May 11
Do I hear the sound of the lid being pulled off a can of worms...?

Yes, your planned route up is fine and should be almost entirely rideable, fitness allowing. If you start right down at Glenmore, you'll get a big sense of achievement and a longer downhill to look forward to. There is an alternative climb on a trail but I'd be inclined to recommend riding the public road up to the junction with the old access road. Note, that's not the current traffic down route, I'm talking about the original, scruffy, partly overgrown tarmac road that leaves the modern main road just after the sugar bowl car park, say about 2-300m past and on the flat section of main road. Check it on the 1:25,000 maps.

Choice of route down is a thornier one though. There are several ways off, none of them easy apart from your upward route. They include a fairly epic one via the summit of Cairn Lochain and an even bigger one over the Ptarmigan to Ciste Mhieraid and back via Bynack Mor and Stables to Ryvoan. However, if you've plenty of confidence, you can come down the M2 line on a good trail, rideable for the majority of the way down but with a couple of short pitches that are fairly necky as you approach the base lodge.
I've heard of folk coming down beyond the Ciste side over Loaigh Mor way but can't comment on rideability there. The shape of the hill suggests that at least a good part of it should be fine.
All of these should be treated with respect.
Once in the car park, drop out the low side of the lower main car park on the built trail that heads down into Glen More. Beats being on tarmac.
Don't forget to bask in the glow of achievement afterwards...
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 15.34hrs on Thu 19 May 11
Thanks for the pointers, Not knowing the terrain without snow its difficult to know what is ridable what what is a nightmare. Been studying google maps and I can see various marks across the hillside but again difficult to gauge. As an aside whilst looking at google maps I spotted this.

[maps.google.co.uk]

I bet that is hard work!
motatapu

Last Visited: 01:49
25th Feb 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.18hrs on Fri 20 May 11
I've ridden up to the Ptarmigan restaurant from Glenmore using normal road to Cas car park, then home road / zigzags / 105 / traverse as suggested.

The uphill is certainly pretty brutal in places (particularly the top of the 105). I bumped into a ranger who asked me to be very careful on the trails particularly higher up and as a result I left the bike at the Ptarmigan and then walked up Marquis Well to the summit.

Downhill by same route was OK but regularly interrupted by drainage ditches. I've not tried Hustler's M2 suggestion on a bike but my experience of walking down there certainly makes me think a few of the steeper parts towards the bottom would be beyond me.

Agree this is a can of worms. On the whole I felt fairly uncomfortable being up there on a bike and as a result I've not repeated the experience. Unless your priority is to find a route with lots of grunty climbing I'd suggest there are probably better rides to aim for while you're in the area.
steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 11.41hrs on Fri 20 May 11
I can already hear the tutting and grunts from the 'Angry Corrie' brigade!

What about riding up Bynack More from Glenmore via Ryvoan Bothy. Much less rusty old ski lifts to look at and fewer grumpy walkers to get in your way.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.41hrs Fri 20 May 11 by steelytail.
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 12.40hrs on Fri 20 May 11
My logic was there would be a network of paths already there and that I would not be straying onto other areas and causing any erosion/environmental damage. I was asking for experience of the bike ability of these paths so that I didnt end up half way down and meet a nasty boulder fest that was beyond my biking skills requiring me to backtrack or stray onto "sensitive areas" to bypass. The attraction of Cairngorm was getting to where I snowboard under my own steam in the summer (and the food at the top).

As for the angry corrie brigade are they the ones who cause all the erosion by using walking boots to get up hills? And the cause of this £2 parking charge that CML are planning to take in because they are not paying anything towards the upkeep of the roads and carparks they use? I have as much right as any of them to exercise my right to roam (on my bike) in my own country.

Are there cakes available at the Ryvoan Bothy smiling smiley
I suppose living where I live any trips I make into the countryside on bike or foot It is exceptionally rare to see another human being, I am maybe not appreciating how busy Cairngorm might be in the summer.

Maybe I should pick another route for the bike and just walk up to the ptarmigan with the oldest daughter have a cake and take the train back down.

What I am looking for is a nice flowing downhill singletrack, I dont mind a slog to the top of it and if I can bike all the way back to Aviemore all the better.

Hustler

19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 12.40hrs on Fri 20 May 11
Time-trial style, fully enclosed aerodynamic 'disc' wheels might be sensible, so no grumpy Angry Corries can try to put a walking pole through your spokes!

I agree with Steelytail, that's a much better out and back route, just a shame about the lack of cake facilities.
naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 12.51hrs on Fri 20 May 11
Cakes can fit in the back pack if need be!

[www.walkhighlands.co.uk]

The route to the summit shown on this link and then back gain?

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 14.08hrs Fri 20 May 11 by naefearjustbeer.
Hustler

19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.52hrs on Sun 22 May 11
Yes, out to Bynack summit and back on the same route.
Enjoy.
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 18.56hrs on Mon 23 May 11
Maybe a can of worms and to fully take the lid off - CML does seem to get a lot more bashing than any of the other ski areas that want to MTB - a thread was praising the development at another areas and not one negative comment posted.

Totally agree with naefearjustbeer thoughts, as much rights as anyone else to utilise the mountain and understands the potential damage to the environment. Trail all the way down the M2 to the bottom of the ciste, nice cafe at the carpark and to save the tired legs a chair to take you half way back up (phase one anyway). Still all conjecture though
steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 08.29hrs on Tue 24 May 11
Daveski- bikers do have the same rights as walkers accessing the hills.
My issuse with riding up CG is that the area is already heavily used and badly erroded by feet, bike tyres and mechanical transport.

I just think that a ride to the top of Bynack More will be much better for someone wanting to enjoy the area without too many people, pylons and petrol.

The tracks on Bynack are already there i.e. eroded by countless boots and a few tyres. The tyre versus boot debate is a huge subject to cover but just by being there we have an impact on the environment no matter what mode of transport we choose.

Surley there's a nice cafe in Glenmore? ;o)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.30hrs Tue 24 May 11 by steelytail.
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 05.12hrs on Wed 25 May 11
steelytail - I dont disagree with you, and yes the cafe at Glenmore is worth a stop - when Walkers shut down the bakery side of the business to concentrate on Shortbread Glenmore found the supplier that continued making the Apple Strudel - to me that alone is worth making a trip.
Fozy

Last Visited: 12:48
28th May 2011
Date Posted: 13.24hrs on Sat 28 May 11

You could try this cycle route planning site - [grantown-on-spey.cyclestreets.net]

There's a fair few cycle routes marked and you can edit the map with new info, download the track do a GPS unit or print the directions. Have your cake and eat it too.

:-)

naefearjustbeer

22nd Nov 2015
Date Posted: 19.52hrs on Sat 23 Jul 11
Back from my short trip to Coylumbridge

I managed a wee cycle up to Loch an Eilan with my daughter.

[www.endomondo.com]

However the bike had to go into Bothy Bikes after that for some TLC as I bent the gear hanger and I must say they did a fine job of sorting the bike out whilst I had a clamber round treezone just across the road.

Then for my attempt at Bynac More

[www.endomondo.com]

Didnt manage to get near to the summit as I had miscalculated available time for going biking!! (ie wife told me when to be back) and I wasnt allowed to miss dinner for any reason. However I did give it a go! I think I collected 6 punctures in a very short space of time on the way back down until I learned to slow down a bit when approaching some of those drainage ditches and sticky up sharp edged rocks that I can only presume are designed to be anti mountain bike devices. A bit like the stingers the police use to burst car tyres. Or maybe they are for diverting water.

Met loads of friendly walkers who stopped to chat as I was sat patching my inner tubes at the side of the track. Only met one "Angry Corrie" type who made some smart arse comment about cyclists on footpaths!!!!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.59hrs Sat 23 Jul 11 by naefearjustbeer.
SiWS

Last Visited: 20:53
17th Mar 2013
Date Posted: 21.01hrs on Sun 17 Mar 13
"steelytail - I dont disagree with you, and yes the cafe at Glenmore is worth a stop - when Walkers shut down the bakery side of the business to concentrate on Shortbread Glenmore found the supplier that continued making the Apple Strudel - to me that alone is worth making a trip."

Is the cafe at Glenmore still doing the apple strudel??

I was totally bereft the day I stopped in, as usual, on the way back down south after visiting my mum's in Inversneck, only to discover that Walkers had stopped doing the apple strudel!!

It was utterly delicious!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.03hrs Sun 17 Mar 13 by SiWS.
Boatbiker

Last Visited: 22:06
5th Mar 2015
Date Posted: 23.40hrs on Thu 21 Mar 13
SiWS Wrote:

Is the cafe at Glenmore still doing the apple strudel??

I was totally bereft the day I stopped in, as usual, on the way back down south after visiting my mum's in Inversneck, only to discover that Walkers had stopped doing the apple strudel!!

It was utterly delicious!

They sure are!!

It is every bit as deliciously stodgy as it ever was.

Top marks to Bill (and whoever is now doing the baking) for keeping this recipe alive. History on a plate!
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: