You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
seocan

Last Visited: 12:35
12th Jun 2016
Question about Gaick
Date Posted: 14.21hrs on Tue 13 Mar 12
Anybody offer any advice on how far South you can drive on the road from Drumguish before you reach any locked gates.
I was just making some plans because my dog is getting on a bit and 30+ kms might be a bit much. (Aye, aye, i ken, i've told here she needs to learn to pace herself but she obviously knows better!). I thought if I could limit it to 25km or so she would be a lot less likely to peg it out of exhaustion.
Thanks
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: Question about Gaick
Date Posted: 13.34hrs on Wed 14 Mar 12
I've bike through the Gaick a few times, twice northbound to Glen Tromie during 2011 with a trailer on longer rides. I don't recall passing a locked gate at any point and I'm sure I'd have noticed a gate that the trailer would have had to be lifted over. Down at Drumguish, the initial stretch of estate road has been left as a rough dirt road before it soon improves to a worn tarmac surface. Presumably to help prevent too may folk from exploring very far!
cremrow

Last Visited: 07:58
20th Aug 2015
Date Posted: 10.30hrs on Thu 15 Mar 12
It is still a private road with no right to use a motor vehicle without the owners permission. There is no problem with pedestrian or cycle access. Details under access laws

Jim
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 23.13hrs on Thu 15 Mar 12
I got as far as here on streetview.

[maps.google.co.uk]

I've only ever been in from the south but cant remember the gate situation. Only been as far as Loch an Duin to go hillwalking but the path here has been partially washed away by the river.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
seocan

Last Visited: 12:35
12th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 14.38hrs on Fri 30 Mar 12
I cycled this with the dog last weekend and she didn't seem too fussed about the distance.
Hustler, there is a locked gate, or should i say a gate that gets locked. Coming South, there's a sign at - I think its called the gatehouse - 276345,789832, which says the gate gets locked every night, but it's just a standard farmgate so you'd still get over it if it were closed.
Mike_w, the path does get a bit sketchy but its an easy cycle through all the same. They must have had quite some spates through there to wash away the road as much as it has been.
onyywe, thanks both for your help.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: