You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
DaveE

Last Visited: 20:09
23rd Oct 2014
Electric mountain bikes
Date Posted: 20.23hrs on Tue 23 Jul 13
Hi all

Since getting lymes disease 2 years ago i've been chronically fatigued and unable to do any mountain biking, hill walking or snowboarding and have just returned to work all be it part time.

After a trip to Italy where i hired an electric city bike i realised that it could open doors back into the sport for me despite my illness.

I started researching electric mountain bikes and to my surprise realised that they do exist and i hired a Scott e-aspect 29er from Bothy bikes in Aviemore which has a pedal assist motor rather than a throttle. I was quite impressed with how much it aided your cycling on hills but still rode like a normal mountain bike.

Wondering if anyone else has any experience of using an electric mountain bike or knows anyone that has and could recommend a particular model.

Haibike, KTM, Scott all seem to do decent e bikes with decent kit.

Cheers
Sunshine

Last Visited: 18:41
3rd May 2019
Re: Electric mountain bikes
Date Posted: 21.33hrs on Tue 23 Jul 13
I have a Life Cycle Mountain Sports electric bike which I get about 34 miles range mostly on tracks, off road. I have had it for 2 years and covered 3000 miles

[www.electricbikeworld.co.uk]

I find it brilliant. However, technology is improving all the time. I met a guy with a Volt bike which he claimed could do 80 miles on flat terrain.

Go for it.
DaveE

23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 10.58hrs on Wed 24 Jul 13
Cheers for that Sunshine.

To be honest around 35 miles would be enough for me. Ive heard of Volt bikes but i don't think they do bikes capable of proper off road.

I've seen bikes from a company called "Stealth" that can do downhill bikes called the "Stealth bomber" which are throttle controlled and can do 50mph on the flat. Apart from the cost (£8000) i don't think i would actually be mountain biking more like an electric dirt bike plus i think road speeds are limited to 15mph for electric assisted bikes in the uk.

I like the look of Haibike's xduro 29er.

www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_en,68117,13045,detail.html
eurotele

Date Posted: 12.02hrs on Fri 26 Jul 13
Dave E

i saw the stealth bikes in escape bikes in ingleton
but clunky

have a look at Haibike , german co do a nice xc style full sus with a bosch motor

hth
D
DaveE

23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 02.29hrs on Sat 27 Jul 13
Cheers "eurotele" i'll look into that.

Yeah although the stealth look impressive it's too much bike for twisty trails and with the speed they go i think it would upset other trail users plus the cost.

I do like the look of Haibike. Unlike other companies they look like a mountain bike that has been electrified rather than an electric bike that they have tried to make into a mountain bike.
Niall Thomson

Last Visited: 04:54
3rd Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.15hrs on Tue 30 Jul 13
Cube are set to release something in a months time:

[www.cube.eu]
DaveE

23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 18.13hrs on Fri 2 Aug 13
Cheers for that Niall

Looks right up my street that bike. Looking forward to their release. I know square wheels in Strathpeffer stock Cube bikes as oppose to going all the way down to Edinburgh for Haibike. Good call.

Dave
Niall Thomson

Last Visited: 04:54
3rd Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.36hrs on Wed 7 Aug 13
Dave

Check this out:

[www.bikeradar.com]
DaveE

23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 16.00hrs on Wed 7 Aug 13
Here, now your talking.

Before i got ill i was on the verge of getting the lapierre zesty which seems similar to this bike. I've got a lapierre froggy for downhill biking and love it.

Cheers.
DaveE

23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 11.28hrs on Thu 8 Aug 13
Interested to know that lapierre are doing a hardtail version with 120 travel upfront and that both bike appear to be sporting 27.5" wheels which i think is a good call.

Looking forward to more info. Now i have a choice of Haibike, Cube and Lapierre which are all doing decent looking e-mountain bikes. Other makes by the looks of things may follow suit.

The advantage of Cube and Lapierre is that i live in Inverness and Square wheels and Monster bikes are both local and stock Cube and Lapierre respectively.
DaveE

23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 20.46hrs on Sun 7 Sep 14
Hi

Thought i'd give some feedback on what i decided to do.

I got a Haibike xduro full susser with 120mm front and back and 27.5" wheels.

It was £3700 from wiggle so very expensive but i have to say i absolutely love it.

With my condition i would not be able to do much at all on a normal bike. On this thing it allows me to tackle all my usual past routes and rides very much like a normal bike. Drop offs at Golspie took a bit of getting used to because of the weight but other than that there is little difference. I also think it may be helping aid my recovery.

Cheers
David
horacemannie

Last Visited: 19:09
7th Oct 2014
Date Posted: 01.47hrs on Tue 7 Oct 14
Hi Dave,

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new purchase. Just out of curiosity, how did you get the Lyme disease? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
DaveE

23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 12.34hrs on Wed 22 Oct 14
Hi

From a tick bite of course. When this happened i have no idea. I used to pick several ticks off me in the past and never thought anything of it at the time. I never received a bulls eye rash but not everyone does despite what some GP's may tell you.

My personal opinion is that i was infected by the bacterium that causes lyme disease some time ago but it lay dormant. It then became symptomatic when my body was stressed with another infection or a time of stress in my life. I tested positive with Coxachie b4 also so perhaps it lessened my immune system and the parasite that causes lyme kicked in.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: