You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Julian

Last Visited: 14:58
8th Sep 2013
Gaick Pass
Date Posted: 19.04hrs on Mon 12 Aug 13
Having a non skiing break in the Cairngorms for once and look tempted by the Gaick pass. I have a hard tail mountain bike but my wife has a hybrid - is this going to be suitable or do you really need a mountain bike? What's the surface like.

Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: Gaick Pass
Date Posted: 17.54hrs on Sun 18 Aug 13
The Gaick is mainly estate road and good to fair double track, apart from a few Km of singletrack, mainly alongside the loch at the top of the pass. This section is classic Highland singletrack, properly interesting and fun to ride, rocky, twisty, up and down:- definitely not hybrid territory. The OS map is pretty accurate in this area.
Julian

8th Sep 2013
Date Posted: 20.14hrs on Wed 21 Aug 13
Thanks
KW

Last Visited: 16:09
22nd Jan 2018
Date Posted: 17.24hrs on Wed 28 Aug 13
Totally get what Hustler is saying but if dry the ST on the route would be rideable on a hybrid with grippy treads and strong rider.

The outflow from L an Dun and the subsequent crossings will always be the major issues going through the pass.

Have you thought about a loop around Rothiemurchus or Inshriach?

Bangin' views and lots of nice riding on landy/doubletrack there.
Julian

8th Sep 2013
Date Posted: 18.42hrs on Sun 1 Sep 13
Did some riding in Rothiemurchus in the end KW which was great and also did a Carribridge - Ryvoan - Sluggan - Carribridge route which was stunning. Hybrid seemed to cope well for my wife although the route down from Sluggan to the road was a little steep and bumpy at the same time for her liking.

Will have to book another trip on my own to the look at the Gaick I think.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: