You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
bensplace

Last Visited: 16:26
21st Apr 2014
West Highland Way north to south
Date Posted: 13.15hrs on Sun 20 Apr 14
I did the WHW from the north to south a few years back with a few friends but because of the weather we had to abandon the first day and got a train to the Bridge of Orchy.
I would be very interested to hear from any one that has done the WHW in this direction , especially what it is like going over the Devils staircase as there doesn't seam to be much on the web about going in this direction.

We are trying again this August from north to south and was wondering what we are letting our selves in for ;-)
Biff

Re: West Highland Way north to south
Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Tue 22 Apr 14
Never done the WHW but went over the Devil's Staircase in both directions many years ago. From Kinlohleven the climb is continuous for an hour plus on good forestry paths until the last few hundred feet climb where it opens up to the summit on more rocky and uneven ground. The downhill from the summit to the roadside is quite rocky with a few water channels to jump/roll over and requires a dual suspension bike (went down twice on a solid frame and never made it down either time due to punctures). If you have any ability on a bike then the downhill to the roadside is very easy though there does need to be some care taken as you will probably go over the bars but just as you go over jump the handlebars and leave the bike to land where it lands.

In a few words...Long continuous slog up with a 5 - 10 minute downhill that has no real difficulty. Try the route first...carry the bike up from the roadside (45 minutes at most to summit) then come down, you will then know if this can be done with a full rucksack etc
Niall Thomson

Last Visited: 04:54
3rd Aug 2019
Date Posted: 05.42hrs on Sat 26 Apr 14
>I did the WHW from the north to south a few years back with a few friends but because of the weather we had to abandon the first day and got a train to the Bridge of Orchy. <

So I deduce from this, that your question relates to the F.W to B of O section only?

Depends on how fit you are, gear being carried, type of bike etc. Also, I dont mean to be flippant but this route isn't exactly out there. The worst that will happen to you is that things will take a little longer than planned and you will have to get off and push here and there.

F.W > Kinlochleven is all good and the descent into KLL is great. The climb out of KLL is pretty severe until you reach the wee cottage @ the pipehead then loose and technical in places (but all rideable if you have the skills / lungs) to the top of the DS. It's a fair old slog (up from sea level remember) in this direction. The switchback descent is straightforward and over in 10 mins as above. This section is far better the other way. From the bottom of the DS to the Kingy is straightforward as is the section from Black rock Cottage > Black Mount > Inveroran. First km of that is rough and again that entire stretch is far better in reverse. From Iveroran to the summit of Mam Carraigh is steep and loose in places. Rideable / cleanable but my guess is you'll be off pushing for 1/3 of it. The descent to B of O is nice / easy. On balance though I still believe the section you are asking about, and in fact the the entire WHW is best ridden as intended: S>N.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 05.49hrs Sat 26 Apr 14 by Niall Thomson.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.51hrs on Sun 27 Apr 14
Agree, do it S-N. Much better from a biking perspective for all sorts of reasons.
Early on is all fine, although some may find the descent west off Conic a bit too interesting on the way to Balmaha. It's all good anyway.
Balmaha to Inversnaid is great fun, with some excellent singletrack sections. Inversnaid to Beinn Glas Farm is (mainly) a pain, from there on to Bridge of Orchy is largely mellow wide footpath and broad tracks, although you may encounter some patchy coo poo in Glen Falloch. Do it, but do it the other way around as so many sections really do ride better that way.
killdill045

Last Visited: 07:23
17th Dec 2014
Date Posted: 09.05hrs on Mon 17 Nov 14
The switchback descent is straightforward and over in 10 mins as above. This section is far better the other way. From the bottom of the DS to the Kingy is straightforward as is the section from Black rock Cottage > Black Mount > Inveroran. First km of that is rough and again that entire stretch is far better in reverse...???

Save your time and get on time success in Braindumps and fmuniv.edu exams by using our latest Braindumps.com .
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: