You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
boarder

Last Visited: 05:25
29th Dec 2018
Where do you Bike?
Date Posted: 18.11hrs on Sun 15 May 05
Just wondering if anyone knows of any good tracks in Aberdeenshire for mountain bikes.
I stay near Stonehaven and used to go up to Durris alot which is good and also up Scolty hill at Banchory. Just wondering peoples personal favourites now summer is upon us. Finished uni for the summer , so i'm thinking about getting a new mountain bike grinning smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.11hrs Sun 15 May 05 by boarder.
Big Sly

Last Visited: 13:52
31st May 2008
Re: Where do you Bike?
Date Posted: 20.56hrs on Sun 15 May 05
I must admit, I was going to ask this question as well. Have only just recently (well last September) bought a MTB and all I've really used it for is just cycling to and from work so far. The only place I've cycled along is the roads along the coast to Cove etc. Anyone got any good routes, say around Lochnagar or Mount Keen or further into the 'Gorms?
Aviemore

Last Visited: 13:07
4th Jan 2012
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.18hrs on Sun 15 May 05

well, comin from this side, there's a great spin in through Rothiemurchus, and up through Glen Einich to Loch Einich, some of it is hard going on the way in (for me at least), but great craic on the way back out! You have to wade through a river but it's still a good day out if the weather is nice!

Been meaning to continue through the forest and up the Lairg Ghru path but havent done so yet (always take the easy way out and head down to Loch Morlich!). I have heard stories of loonies cycling to MacDui, Braeriach etc though!

Barry
dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 07.17hrs on Mon 16 May 05
Near Stonehaven I've generally cycled around Fetteresso forest, off to the left of the Slug Rd. My friend who lives in Stonehaven wants us to cycle to Banchory via the forest, and there looks to be plenty of choice of routes.
SussexSnow

Last Visited: 06:43
18th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 08.05hrs on Mon 16 May 05
perhaps a silly question....

At Cairngorm, can you ride down the road from the Ptarmigan? Down the zig-zags etc?

I know the summer conditions mean you can't get out the Ptarmigan but are you allowed to ride up?

And, a slightly less silly question. Does anyone know about how the great diversification into MTBing at Glencoe and Glenshee is going? New tracks?
Aviemore

Last Visited: 13:07
4th Jan 2012
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Mon 16 May 05

up and down to/from the top is certainly doable on Cairngorm via the home road, zig-zags, 105 etc (though not quite sure why you'd want to do it - not up anyways!!). There are a few sizeable cross-drains along the tracks but nothing too hazardous i think.

As to whether you're allowed or not, I dont see why you wouldnt be allowed - I think the Ranger Service have a policy of no mechanised vehicles etc. but not sure of MTBs. May be worth checking with the Rangers though.

(if you cycle up to Base Station you get a free ride on the train - well deserved it would be too!)

Barry
stuartm555

Last Visited: 16:03
3rd Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.50hrs on Mon 16 May 05

i've only been mtbing in aberdeen once - pitfichie and kirkhill - both really good. pitfichie is more downhill stuff but there's good XC too. and there's a mtb fun park at kirkhill - in other words a downhill bmx track - no chair or poma to take you up though!

good aberdeen routes here too:
[www.ecurieneep.co.uk]

there's some really good routes in the gorms on this website:
[www.offroadadventures-online.com]

telechic

Last Visited: 08:42
17th Apr 2016
Date Posted: 15.26hrs on Mon 16 May 05
If you're into long distance mountain biking along old droving roads then I'd recommend Ralph Storer's book, Exploring Scottish Hill tracks (or something like that). It's not specifically aimed at bikers but it's a good for getting some ideas.

On the other hand for a quiet Sunday afternoon ride I often nip up to Glen Tanar or Durris as previously mentioned for some easy riding under the trees, or Kirkhill Forest for a bit more interest!

If you haven't been to Glen Tress in the borders yet definitely give it a go, and there's others of a similar type springing up all over the place, I gather Forest Enterprise are finally waking up to the potential earnings they can make from biking in the Highlands....

(BTW I think there was another thread about this during the winter?)

TC
tom

Last Visited: 10:57
14th Nov 2013
Date Posted: 19.00hrs on Mon 16 May 05
hi boarder get a road bike instead much more fun a lot faster and more comfortable ,i am an ex mounatin biker i converted to a roadie during the foot and mouth crisis never regretted it but still go off road in the winter whatever you do enjoy it
Tom
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.08hrs on Tue 17 May 05
I was just about to paste in the 'neeps' link when I saw I was beaten to it..

that is probably the best reference for the 'good' Aberdeenshire mtb routes - with maps and descriptions

my favourites are the Glen tanar routes, e.g. fungle/firmounth,
Also the one near GlenFiddich

and
the Loch Muick circuit is a classic - one of great UK mountain rides,

Pitfichie and bennachie have good singletrack - as does fungle,

there is a good route from Braemar, up Glen callater, then back over to Glenshee road, then up and over Morven (naughty)

there are also good rides up Don valley - e.g. good singletrack by Loch Builg near Ben Avon

other man made trails include Keith/Ben Aigan - the ben agian trail is looking and riding well
these are built and maintained by the moray mountain bike club:

[www.moraymountainbikeclub.co.uk]

further afield - anywhere around Aviemore or Laggan Wolftrax

andy

whiteout

Last Visited: 20:23
23rd May 2006
Date Posted: 12.02hrs on Tue 17 May 05
A ride through thid feshie is good value
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.19hrs on Tue 17 May 05
Was up Stuchd an lochain walking on sunday. Looked like it had some MTB potential on the landrover tracks starting at pubil.

I'll stick a plug in for my poorly designed site with some pics of the area - [www.prog99.com]

Was at Innerleithen the other week and it made for a pleasant distraction away from Glentress. Much quieter and some interesting trails....
Chris H

Last Visited: 23:59
13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 17.48hrs on Wed 18 May 05
For all you guys over in the West there is a new website just been launched which focuses on the cycling available in and around Fort William. The trail information is still a little thin but will be improved in the coming months.

[www.ridefortwilliam.co.uk]

The Mountain Bike World Cup site has also been updated for the 2005 event. For anyone who hasn't been before this is unmissable and a great day out.

[www.fortwilliamworldcup.co.uk]
Jack

Date Posted: 12.15hrs on Mon 23 May 05
Anyone biked thru the Lairig Gru? Is it do-able? What are the practicalities?

The track at the Loch Morlich end is really nice but presumably this peters out...
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Mon 23 May 05
I took a book out of the library last week - The Cairngorm Glens - a guide for walkers and mountain bikers, by Peter D Koch-Osborne. Every section of track is graded according to "roughness". The routes have sketch maps, cross sections, and notes about natural features, hazards, and points of interest. The author gives his own recommendations obviously based on personal experience. All in all a really interesting read/guide.

Can I quote him " The Lairig Ghru is not in the authors opinion a cycle ride! "

Reckon it will be one of those books I'll be renewing the loan on frequently, as it has made me keen to attempt some of his routes. It also looks like he has also written books on the Atholl Glens and the Glens of Rannoch.

Helen

Ken Bowlt

Date Posted: 20.10hrs on Sat 25 Feb 06
Looking for trails to cycle in and around Elgin, Moray. Anyone know a good place to get info?
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.55hrs on Sat 25 Feb 06
yes loads!

[www.moraymountainbikeclub.co.uk]

Ben Aigan,
Fochabers
Whiteash

man made trails and natural
lots of trail building being going on

also Quarrel wood at Elgin - west side north of A96

see you out there!

they are just finishing Black on Ben Aigan
watch out for widow maker jump on baen aigan loop
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.09hrs on Sat 25 Feb 06
Reading around assorted reports suggests that Mount keen should be doable and you can bag a munro at the same time.

its certainly the method I'm intending on doing it....

Telemarker - do you have to be a member to use the moray clubs trails? I'm based down in Edinburgh so normally go to glentress but I'm often up north as my folks live in Forres and wouldnt mind giving the local trails a go.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.49hrs on Sat 25 Feb 06
No just got there and bike!
the trails are as much fun for me as GT or innerleithen
but are a lot closer, and great option when natural trails are bog

there are maps on the moray website for the trails - plenty of fun

also - my mountain bike has been on mt keen trig point
it threw me over bars on way down off summit
but ride down into glen tanar great
want to do the mt keen circuit oneday, but 40+ miler from aboyne
maddy

Last Visited: 12:21
25th Mar 2008
Date Posted: 18.39hrs on Sat 27 May 06
The lairig Ghru wouldnt be much fun on a bike,you would end up carrying the bike most of the way.
Either side of the cairngorms there are plenty trails-Rothiemurchus,ryvoan bothy,burma rd,glen einich,glen feshie
the bramar side i can recomend glen avon.glen tilt,glen taner/mt keen.
i would aslo 2nd what has been said about the book Scottish hill tracks

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: