You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
MTB to Carn a' Chlamain??
Date Posted: 21.48hrs on Wed 28 Feb 07
Investigating more combined MTB / munro bagging routes brought up some interesting info on this hill off Glen Tilt. I know you can cycle up the glen and then walk to the sumit.

Looking at this walk report (http://www.jbutler.org.uk/Scotland/Mounth/carnchlamain.shtml) shows what looks like a very good track that almost goes up to the summit thats not on the OS map. Certainly looks like it could be fun to descend...

I've emailed the Blair Atholl estate for info but has anyone here tried it out?

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Re: MTB to Carn a' Chlamain??
Date Posted: 08.45hrs on Thu 1 Mar 07
Yes did i a few yrs ago, just checked our website for photos, couldnt find them,
it was a nice trundle up glen tilt, then hard slog, with plenty of pushing up the landy track up the munro (not steep footpath further up valley), the descent - fantastic!, lots of nice loose techy landy track - definitely need suspension, preferably both ends of bike,
a mate with us had fully rigid bike, he survived and enjoyed it!

quite a few other munros bikeable,
Mike_w

12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.36hrs on Thu 1 Mar 07
Great smiling smiley Thats one for the summer then!

Both of us use hardtails but have never had issues (well except the black graded section of the innerleithen XC trail but thats another story!)

Mike in Edinburgh
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.51hrs on Fri 2 Mar 07
enjoy!

The 2 munros to East of Dalwhinnie also bikeable, in DRY weather
as are a couple of the Glen Feshie hills, Sgor Gaioth - fantastic descent off that to Achlean, climb via landy track further up the glen feshie, and do southern munro 1st - mullach a ?

there is another munro just NW of carn a chlamian, that you could push bike up and ride down, with some bits of ascent bikeable

and another one i havent biked, but probably do-able is Glas Tuliachan (spelling?)

And last summer did circuit of loch muick, and tagged the 4 munros there - see mountain bike reports on this site
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.41hrs on Fri 2 Mar 07
From Glen Isla:
Finalty Hill- Tom Buidhe- Carn a Claise- Glas Maol- return.
Or:
Go up the Monega path to Glas Maol, Carn a Claise, Carn an Tuirc, climb back up the main road and if you started at the Spittal Hotel, ride up Meal Odhar and ride the singletrack south back to the Devil's Elbow.

Driesh & Mayar from Prosen, descend the Kilbo south into Glen Doll.

Overnight:
Glen Clova to Braemar, via Bachnagairn, Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Carn an Sagairt Mor & Glen Callater.
Return via Ski area, Glas Maol, Claise, Tolmount, Bachnagairn. Not Jock's road.

The world is your lobster...
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.22hrs on Tue 6 Mar 07
will have to check them out hustler
you got any mapping software e.g. memory map, anquet, tracklogs?
if so can you trace route, screendump and post on here
heard about glas maol options a few times, but never tried

i love that singletrack over from callater to ski road though
Hustler

19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.46hrs on Tue 13 Mar 07
Apologies for the delay, was busy tele'ing around Ste Foy/ Les Arcs/ La Rosiere/ Tignes & Val D'Isere.
6 solid days and boy, do my legs know it. Had some good pow on a couple of days, did some of the well known easier off-piste routes in Tignes and val.

Anyway, biking:
Sorry, I don't have any of that new-fangled map stuff, just paper ones.
The routes are fairly easy to work out as the paths are well defined on the ground, except for the one down the West side of Tuirc at the old ski area. that's just a steep bit of MTB off-piste, bumpy, tussocky and super steep. real 'floss yer crack' stuff. The trail starts again at the ruined hut and is rideable most of the way back to the A93.
Meal Odhar to the Devil's Elbow is well worth a try, as is the descent above that, off the top of Glas Maol to Meal Odhar. If you can clear that zig-zag walkers' path you're doing well. I've done most of these routes with Dan Darwood over a period of years, most often in the autumn for some unknown reason.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 02.55hrs on Thu 15 Mar 07
glad you had a good ski trip! some freinds of mine where there last week. did you spot anyone with a garfield bag strapped to back!

bet Dan cleaned those zigzags, will check maps when back in UK

3 weeks to my 1st alps ski trip of season, cervinia, cant wait. offpiste course
Hustler

19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.20hrs on Thu 15 Mar 07
Funnily enough, I did see some strange adult with a Garfield stuck to his back; I thought what a pr...
Never mind, we're all individuals. Can't even remember which resort we were in that day. Can thoroughly recommend the rent a car and drive around option; apart from buying passes each morning, it's a doddle and meant we got more powder on a lean week.

You're right, he did clear the zig-zag off the west side of Glas Maol. He was grinning like a total loon at the bottom.
I tried it straight down just beside the path and eventually came unstuck on the steepest bit...

Hope the Snow Demons have been to Cervinia before you get there, leaving loads of freshies for you.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.08hrs on Fri 16 Mar 07
the Garfield character was in same group with my freinds, i spotted him & garfield on their photos,
and also he was at same uni as me for a time,

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.27hrs Mon 3 Sep 07 by telemarker.
Mike_w

12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.32hrs on Sun 26 Aug 07
Well did this today. Ashamed to admit we didn't take the bikes right to the top as it was getting tedious pushing so walked the last 20 minutes to the summit.

Cracking descent though but it did show we are getting rusty on the bikes as I nearly came off (just unclipped in time) and Fiona kind of abandoned bike in mid prang and just kept her footing!

And then a great blast back along Glen Tilt to the car. Good fun!

We biked to the foot of Beinn Dearg the previous day but it actually looks possible to get a bike to the summit as the walkers track was good and down to the bed rock most of the way so erosion shouldnt be a worry.

Mike in Edinburgh
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: