You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
RobC

MTB routes off A1/M1 ?
Date Posted: 19.51hrs on Thu 10 May 07
Will be travelling down the A1 & M1 from Edinburgh to Leicester soon and will be taking the bike. Looking to stop off about half way for 3 hours or so and get a good ride in to break the journey up. Have previously done Hamsterley which was ok but disappointing amount of single track (though I hear they are building more soon). Also done Newcastleton, but it's a bit tame and a bit off my route really.

Looking at some of the routes in Kielder. Can anybody suggest anything else?

Snowborders

Last Visited: 20:34
24th Feb 2013
Re: MTB routes off A1/M1 ?
Date Posted: 18.30hrs on Fri 11 May 07
The quickest way would be down the A68, depending on time of day, you can really hoon it down there if you know what your on. It is certainly the shortest if you are just taking your time. For a real rollercoaster ride go right down the A68 rather than heading for Newcastle. As for MTB routes I don't think there's much in the way on the east coast as it is gey flat.
snowplc

Last Visited: 12:40
16th Feb 2021
Re: MTB routes off A1/M1 ?
Date Posted: 20.20hrs on Fri 11 May 07
Rob,

i live in Hawick in the borders but work at Kielder in the North of England.

The new trails are just about ready at Kielder and they are going to be superb. About half of the red is complete with the rest scheduled to be finished at the start of July. I think the black section will be finished then as well. There is a pretty stiff climb up to the top of Deadwater fell at 2000feet, a good deal of which is on singletrack trail and then a huge descent down created trail and rough Landy track with fantastic views. www.kieldertrailreavers.com has some more info in their forum.

There is loads of "real" biking in the Cheviots and border hills and they are not far off the A1 or A68. Just grab a map and look for some good paths on the Scottish side. In Englandshire you have to be a bit more careful about the access.

Hope this helps

pete

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: