You are NOT Logged in.
All aspects of Mountain Biking at home and further afield.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Bike thief on hills
Date Posted: 08.54hrs on Mon 8 Oct 07
Most of you will sometimes use a bike for hill access, especially cairngorms. - Just did a 2-day trip to Corrour Bothy, leaving 2 bikes at Derry Lodge, to be collected on return from hills.

One of the bikes was missing when we got back to Derry. - Some low-life thinks it's ok to steal people's equipment off the hills!

On the hills, people depend on their equipment; bikes, tents, sleeping bags, ropes etc. - It has an impact on their trip, and in extreme cases could put life at risk.

We were stunned, that a fellow hill-goer would steal a bike, knowing that the consequence was a walk out at night for their victim. - Apart from the basic ethics of theft. - It's not the same as urban theft, it has bigger consequences.

Bike was later recovered from deep heather, near Linn of Dee. - Looks like they ran out-of-puff near the top of an incline.

So beware...there are sick people out there who are happy to steal equipment off the hill, which you may be depending upon.

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Re: Bike thief on hills
Date Posted: 09.42hrs on Mon 8 Oct 07
what a nasty experience, glad the bike was recovered,
was the bike locked?

guess derry lodge is accessible to a lot of non-proper hill goer's
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 10.09hrs on Mon 8 Oct 07
Will admit to not having made the bikes very secure. - It was night when we passed through on way into bothy, and I might have chosen a better place to stow the bikes, so as to be less easily noticed by walkers in daylight. - Will bear this in mind for future.

Generally knocks your confidence about leaving stuff on the hills, such as in a bothy, or at the foot of a gully in winter. - I'm not fit enough to carry it all about with me all day!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10.09hrs Mon 8 Oct 07 by HTH.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Mon 8 Oct 07
"Honest officer, I didn't intend to permanently deprive the poor man of his means of transport, I only borrowed it for a while with no thoughts as to the consequences. The fact that he's now food for the foxes and crows is not my fault.."
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Mon 8 Oct 07
It does look like some selfish lazy-ass, who ran out of puff near the last incline before Linn of Dee, and chucked the bike into the heather. - I was pretty mad about it, and thrashed down the drop to the carpark on the bike, thinking that I might have a chance to catch the saddle-sore git if he was now on foot.

Luibeg is maybe a better place to leave bikes in future, as it's more remote, if it fits the loop being walked (or skied smiling smiley )
Hustler

19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.33hrs on Mon 8 Oct 07
Think calm, happy thoughts...
Skiing in perfect conditions with a clear mind.
No guilt.
Just carry an ice-axe next time and interrogate every walker you see on the trail out.
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 09.45hrs on Wed 10 Oct 07
We're on the same track I think. - I had 2 walking poles with me, and was visualising a human fondue scenario !

Anyway, hols at Inverey (Mar Estate) are on the horizon, and a few good days out will cool the brain.
Hustler

19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 12.28hrs on Wed 10 Oct 07
Hope it's going to be soon, while the weather still thinks its September!
What's the plan, lots of walking without the bike..?

If you're bored one day, you could try riding up the Quoich track to check out the newly built trail from the southern foot of Ben a Bhuird round to the top of Glen Slugain. The start of the new trail is easy to find in the Scots Pine woods, just follow the main W side, existing landie track east from the first ford, to the second one where it re-crosses. Trail begins there.
The section of singletrack down past the ruined lodge and into the glen Slug there is a wee cracker. From there, return via Invercauld and the track along the north side of the glen back to Linn of Quoich.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.35hrs on Wed 10 Oct 07
agree - the singletrack into glen slugain is brilliant, a gem

was that yourself that texted me sunday hustler?
how was the trail?
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.21hrs on Wed 10 Oct 07
Have done the track from Clach a' Cleirich to Keiloch which is an absolute blast. Quite amusing seeing hillwalkers who obviously don't bike much struggling with the terrain...

We did see bike tracks from the sneck(col between Ben Avon & Ben a Bhuird) but its pretty boggy and not much fun on foot never mind bike.

Going back to the original topic, we always lock the bikes up on combined biking/bagging expeditions no matter how remote the location. Reason is the high chance of another walker deciding they have found a quick way back to the car.

Last time we were at Derry Lodge I was amazed at the number of unlocked bikes.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
Hustler

19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.19hrs on Wed 10 Oct 07
Aye Telemarker, we were up at Invercauld again on Sunday.
The strath Gairn trail was nearly as dry as April but not quite.
It could really use a couple of days' worth of trail maintenance to bring it up to a better "flowing" standard, putting in a few drainage improvements. I suspect that after the next rainfall, that'll be the route off-limits until a dry spring spell.
Still great fun though and it was a beautiful day to be out. How was the racing?
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.40hrs on Thu 11 Oct 07
get up there with the pick-axe and shovel!

we ended up marshalling and not running the race, but it was nice weather to sit on top of bennachie in a bright yellow top!

when we biked into beinn a bhuird to ski it, we took our bikes right off the track near the big ford, to some woodland, where there was a screen on trees, and locked bikes to a tree, this was in winter and with snow around, but still didnt risk it - the thought of walking our 5 miles in telemark boots made sure!
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: