You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:11 of 263
roga

Re: The Mother of all Snow Ramping Threads 2...
Date Posted: 08.16hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
So, this thread has gone awfully quiet - how are we looking now on the weather front all you experts?

I notice the WH forecast is now suggesting colder weather for the coming weekend with some wintry showers and snow Saturday/Sunday.
Johan

Last Visited: 23:54
4th Feb 2011
Date Posted: 09.33hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
I'm no expert but it looks a bit pish. I hope I'm wrong. I'm going to cairngorm tomorrow probably for the last time as i'm away most of april. looks like it could be T-shirt riding in the park! 7 degrees an low wind.
roga

Date Posted: 11.02hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
^ I'm no expert too but it doesn't look pish to me, could be better (is usually better) at this time of year! smiling smiley

So experts, what's the prognosis?
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 15.26hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
According to BBC forecast at lunch, it's set to cool down next week. should preserve what snow (if any?) is left after the heatwave!
CraigCam

Last Visited: 21:20
6th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 16.07hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
Hi guys, been away westhighland waying it for a few days hence the lack of updates from myself.... not much to update to be fair on the weather front..

its very benign at the mo, it does look like cooling down this weekend however the cool weather will be under the high pressure so there probably wont be much snowfall.

will have a more detailed look a bit later but the gfs charts do seem all over the place still, affraid it does look like the season is going out with a wimper.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.41hrs on Wed 1 Apr 09
might be snow easter weekend above 810m, depends on where temp sits, rain for whole weekend at sea level

second/third week in april looks wet at low levels - temps are the key to hill snow

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.52hrs Wed 1 Apr 09 by flugeryl.
CraigCam

Last Visited: 21:20
6th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 13.13hrs on Fri 3 Apr 09
Having looked at the gfs and ecm again today im affraid im in gloomy mode... think its time to stash the gear away for another season now.

Whilst there are one or 2 potential periods of cold in the next 3 weeks to my mind the air is not cold enough to make appreciable snow at this time of year, there certainly doesnt look to any snow in the run up to easter and the gfs ensembles are for once in alot of agreement for the long run with the 5000ft temp range being -3 to 3c.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.31hrs on Mon 6 Apr 09
Hmmmmm..... Shame its deep into FI lala land.

In the shorter term it does look like there will be some snow for higher runs at Glencoe, Nevis and the 'Gorm this week. 850hpa temps aren't impressive by any stretch, but with the low pressures tracking over we're getting some pretty low 850hpa heights, below 4000ft at times.

There also looks likely to be at least some rain to all levels, Thursday AM (late Wed into early hours onwards) looks like seeing a warm sector.

That said there is a shot at some not insignificant falls of heavy wet snow for the upper slopes which could see a net accumulation over the week with some freeze/thaw cycling consolidating any drifts.

The note of caution though is, the potential heavier falls of snow flagged up on this morning runs are highly marginal, a shunt Northwards of <100miles (nothing in terms of global warming) could bring rain to all levels of the ski areas, while a bit further south would bring lower FL and somewhat drier snow at the tops.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.36hrs Mon 6 Apr 09 by alan.
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 20.37hrs on Tue 7 Apr 09
There is a 10°c spread in the GFS ensembles as early as Friday for Aberdeen, the models are struggling to nail the detail, small changes to the synoptic setup having a huge difference in the outcome for the Highland mountains.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 22.55hrs on Tue 7 Apr 09
wk beginning 13th April...might be cold enough for snow...cross all those digits

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
Chionophile

Last Visited: 22:07
24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 18.44hrs on Wed 8 Apr 09
There has been a sudden heavy snowfall in the Cairngorms, last night and today. In Deeside today the weather was mild, 11-15C, but as soon as I came into Donside at Deskry the temperature fell quickly to 6C and then 5C, and sleety rain fell on a strong NNW wind at Corgarff for a couple of hours at midday before clearing to sun and the odd shower. Fresh snow with small drifts was lying down to 2500 ft in Deeside, but at 2 pm was lying at the Lecht cafe and whitening the sli runs and towlines. The Cromdale Hills had snow down to even lower levels. From the Ladder Hills I could see that there had been a heavy fall on the Cairngorms, and through binoculars I watched heavy drifting on all ground above 3000 ft, with continuous drifting on ridges and occasional big snow plumes. Cairn Gorm and the plateau and corries to the east and south were completely white apart from tors and boulders on exposed ridges, continuous snow across Ciste Mhearad, the slopes south of it, C Raibeirt, C Domhain and Cairn Lochan, and south by Garbh Uisge Beag to the Snowy Corrie and Ben Macdui. Beinn Mheadhoin carried a lot of snow, with continuous deep wide wreaths from the top down the north, east and southeast sides. Also a lot on Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird, Bynack More and A' Choinneach, less on Lochnagar but nevertheless a big increase on the extent of the previous day. I could see no old grey snow on amy of the hills, so the new powder seems to have covered all the old snow.
BarryFolan

Last Visited: 13:07
4th Jan 2012
Date Posted: 18.51hrs on Wed 8 Apr 09

nice report thumbs up. off work next week so planning a couple of wanders about the plateau

Barry
Chionophile

Last Visited: 22:07
24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 19.33hrs on Thu 9 Apr 09
After a cold night with a near frost in Deeside,a turnaround today, back to south wind and very strong at that, and temperature away up, 9C at the Lecht and all fresh snow gone, 10C at 1800 ft at 4 pm north of Crathie and a Fohn at Crathie with some blue sky and up to 14C, fresh snow gone up to 2900 ft at 5 pm, black rocks showing at 3500 ft, but yesterday's drifting will have added a fair amount of depth and extent to pre-existing wreaths. Quite a contrast from yesterday.
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 12.15hrs on Sat 11 Apr 09
This might be more appropriate in the Mother of all Thaw Ramping threads, but here goes.

The latest NWP model output suggests very mild air aloft getting blown across Highland Scotland on E to SE winds for at least a week from early next week. The GFS ensemble avg flat-lining at about +3 to +4°c above average.

The 925hpa RH% charts on the last couple of GFS runs suggest clear to part cloudy days, maybe a bit more cloud at times on Eastern ranges as might be expected in an East wind. However the killer is that the 925hpa RH% is indicative of the murk spreading at night to give warm sunny days, mild overcast nights, with East or SE gales (read hair drier) later in the week.

In short, if the most recent model output verifies for the period up to next weekend any debate about closing the ski areas due to lack of skiers will be academic, CairnGorm would be lucky to have anything but the Ptarmigan left for next weekend, and just clinging on at that for the Dawn of Shred Comp.

Of course there is a chance that the model output could be completely wrong, also a chance that we'll get the setup projected but with clear nights, drier air and low dew points that would negate the mildness and help preserve the snow.

Time for a anti-thaw dance for the coming week, hopefully high pressure if its going to be around will be over us for next weekend and it if it is the end we can go out like last May basking in sunshine with good spring snow on the tops.
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.13hrs on Sat 11 Apr 09
sorry snow tyres came off the subaru this afternoon...
Current Page:11 of 263
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: