You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
The Government, global warming and Scottish snow
Date Posted: 13.45hrs on Mon 24 Feb 03
The government today published its white paper on future energy production, with a much-increased commitment to renewable sources. And no more nuclear power stations.
Hopefully a bit of good news for cooling the planet.
Scottish snow seems to have become far less reliable in the past 25 years, with freezing levels significantly higher than I recall in the 1970s.
In anyone collecting scientific data on snow patterns in Scotland, and is anyone impressing on the government the costs to employment and the tourist industry of this global warming?
Alan Mackay

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: The Government, global warming and Scottish snow
Date Posted: 14.19hrs on Mon 24 Feb 03
In short yes! I'll try to look up the details when i have time, but you can try searching the Scottish Executives website for scottish skiing.

[%sig%]
John B

Re: The Government, global warming and Scottish snow
Date Posted: 17.02hrs on Mon 24 Feb 03
You'd better complain to Mr Bush. They produce a lot more greenhouse gases than we do. I do not think a unilateral approach by the UK will help much. Only trouble is Mr Bush isn't interested because he puts the US economy before anything else.

If the energy costs to UK industry is going to go up by 25-30% if the white paper is implemented, then we must consider taxing US imports because of unfair competition...
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: