You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
moffatross

Banana Skins
Date Posted: 20.13hrs on Fri 18 Sep 09
[news.bbc.co.uk]

What a load of pish from the John Muir Trust. They should use some of their nimby money to build some windmills up there to power a banana skin mulcher if they're really so worried about discarded fruit matter taking up to two years to rot away. winking smiley tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.14hrs Fri 18 Sep 09 by moffatross.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Banana Skins
Date Posted: 20.14hrs on Fri 18 Sep 09
thought this was the banana technology from lib techs board crossing over into skis

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
moffatross

Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Fri 18 Sep 09
LOL, as a two-planker, I had to go google that. smiling smiley ... found people talking like this and wasn't much the wiser afterwards tongue sticking out smiley

[snowboard-mag.com]

"This shit is bananas! This board is SICK! I visited the factory in PA, and managed to get a hold of my friend Dave's banana, and rode it for a day and a half..."

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.20hrs Fri 18 Sep 09 by moffatross.
Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 09.19hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Ross - it not 'a load of pish' at all...

John Muir Trust have done some excellent work in Scotland in recent years. In particular buying up wild areas of land so that they can be preserved & managed properly for future generations. They now own some very iconic areas of our country - including Sandwood Bay, parts of Skye and also the summit of Ben Nevis.

For sure one single bannana skin isn't a problem at all. However in summer time there are maybe 500 people going up Ben Nevis each and every day! Do the maths...
Orange Peels are even worse - and take as long as a styrofoam cup to degrade. Though apple cores aren't apparently so bad. (and yes, I have been guilty of disgarding both bannana peels & orange skins in the past...)

Was up Ben Nevis in August - and sadly the summit is sadly in a terrible state.
Not just bannana skins - but crisp packets, beers cans and other litter shoved into every nook & cranny. Once the place starts to look messy I think certain people are more inclined to add to any litter already there.

Quote:
Quite simply, if you carry something up, you should carry it back down.

Yup...

Edited 5 times. Last edit at 15.44hrs Sat 19 Sep 09 by Doug_Bryce.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 09.54hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Quote:
They now own some very iconic areas of our country - including Sandwood Bay

Where they blocked a public road on the basis that because it wasn't sealed they could do what they like, barred some local crofters from their historic rights to cut peat along said road and in effect more than doubled the distance that has to be walked to reach the bay, reducing the number of people who can enjoy it. The obsession with artificially re-engineering this bizarrely fabled long walk in principle in Scotland is a lot of crap.
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 10.01hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
I've just finished reading about this in the Press and Journal and totally agree with the media coverage ( although it looks to me like the P&J couldn't find a photo of the Ben as their photo looks rather Aonach Mor to me) [www.pressandjournal.co.uk]

Makes me wild to see someone's picnic waste discarded, particularly orange peel that is so obvious.

If the media can make folk aware that in the mountain environment food can take up to two years to biodegrade and encourage them to take their waste home, I'll be happy.

Helen
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 10.07hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
With respect to Sandwood, people are going to some lengths to avoid the lengthened walk in...

Remember, nose up on landing though! tongue sticking out smiley
moffatross

Date Posted: 10.12hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Doug, I struggle to make the logical connection between crisp packets, drinks cans, discarded pianos on the one side and discarded vegetable matter on the other.

The mantra, 'carry something up, carry it back down' is sound but loses the point when it comes to discretely abandoned apple cores, orange peelings and babana skins etc (certainly down here in the Southern Uplands). It's a long time since I walked up Ben Nevis though so maybe I've missed the point and there is really an unsightly and dangerously slippery multi coloured carpet of aromatic fruit peel lining the routes from bottom to top. If there is, then I understand the JMT point and if (although it's unlikely) I ever bother to tramp up that particular torist trap again, I will bring my banana skins back down.

In general though, I won't change my custom of offering my fruit peelings to the Earth wherever I go. Humanity is in danger of disappearing up its own backside if it needs to feel guilty about or believes it is possible to leave no trace of its own existence.
Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 10.17hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Quote:
Where they blocked a public road on the basis that because it wasn't sealed they could do what they like, and in effect more than doubled the distance that has to be walked to reach the bay, reducing the number of people who can enjoy it.

Alan - the walk into Sandwood Bay is only 4 miles. Everyone is allowed free & unrestricted access to Sandwood Bay at all times of year. Assuming your actually prepared to make the effort to walk, or perhaps cycle, in and out.

The narrow very bumpy landrover track (that only goes half way into Sandwood Bay anyway) is hardly suitbable for cars - it is of a similar standard to the Glen Einich or Derry Lodge landrover tracks !? Do you propose that people should also be allowed to drive in there ?

Compare the Sandwood Bay scenario to the nearby Cape Wrath - which is owned by the MOD - and is the only place in the entire northern hemisphere used for live aircraft & naval bombardment training. Perhaps ownership of sandwood bay by the JMT isnt so bad ?

We are very lucky in Scotland - where we have some of the most liberal access rights to the country side & mountains in the world.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 10.22hrs Sat 19 Sep 09 by Doug_Bryce.
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 10.52hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Quote:
The narrow very bumpy landrover track (that only goes half way into Sandwood Bay anyway) is hardly suitbable for cars - it is of a similar standard to the Glen Einich or Derry Lodge landrover tracks !? Do you propose that people should also be allowed to drive in there ?

Driven that track to the old parking area 2/3rds along it often enough in your average 2 wheel drive family car. The road used to be maintained by the Highland Council (there is still a road sign for Sandwood bay at the junction), though no doubting that since the JMT stopped this the condition of the road has deteriorated,

They are not accountable to anyone, yet seem to think they can do as they please. The point is, it is vehicular public right of way whatever condition it is in and it absolutely isn't in the power of the JMT to decide otherwise.

Quote:
it is of a similar standard to the Glen Einich or Derry Lodge landrover tracks !? Do you propose that people should also be allowed to drive in there ?

Just because a road isn't sealed doesn't mean it may not be a public road. Glen Einich was always an estate track, the Sandwood road was a council adopted and maintained public highway. Next stop stopping up the Linn of Dee Road?

With regards Derry Lodge there are many places in the Cairngorms that are artificially empty and used to be inhabited. The empty Highland Wilderness is often nothing of the sort and is by and large a product of mis-management of land and human brutality.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 10.58hrs Sat 19 Sep 09 by alan.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 12.53hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
"In general though, I won't change my custom of offering my fruit peelings to the Earth"

Not good in the Southern Uplands Ross; sheep are stupid and eat anything, but they have a problem digesting orange and banana peel, and it can be fatal ! Far better to put it in your compost heap where the bugs and worms break it down in the warmth.
moffatross

Date Posted: 13.48hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
Hipennine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "In general though, I won't change my custom of
> offering my fruit peelings to the Earth"
>
> Not good in the Southern Uplands Ross; sheep are
> stupid and eat anything, but they have a problem
> digesting orange and banana peel, and it can be
> fatal ! Far better to put it in your compost heap
> where the bugs and worms break it down in the
> warmth.
-------------------------------------------------------

I'd agree with that Ken. My skins or cores will never get left where farmed animals graze and never just dumped in the open. Usually they're tucked into some bracken or in the undergrowth along a forestry plantation ride where the only thing that'll find them is a slug or eventually, an earthworm.

I think the difference between the areas around where I live and those 'managed' by the JMT (and indeed much of the Highlands) is that you can mosey through the Moffat Hills for 20 miles and almost always not see another human being. The Highland Munros though are getting much like the English Lake District fells where people are queueing to pass each other on made paths, politely nodding but seething inside about the intrusion of others into their artificial idyll.

I'm glad few of my local tops exceed 2,750 and we've nothing over 3,000 as it means I don't ever have to share them nor worry about my peelings offending fellow hill users. smiling smiley

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 19.59hrs on Sat 19 Sep 09
i hate seeing other peoples mess in the hills...banana skins is one thing, but the top of the ben when i was up years ago (before JMT took it over) was disgusting- lots of shit and bog roll- even old sanitary towels behind every little wall- along with other rubbish. i vowed never to go to the top again (in summer at least).
Take your rubbish home with you...even your old fag ends and fruit left overs.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 07.36hrs on Sun 20 Sep 09
Ross, another problem with peelings is actually quite a simple one; the natural bacteria, fungi etc out in our environment are not accustomed to breaking down banana skins and orange peel, where an apple core is local and also has a high water content. Orange particularly can dry out and become almost wooden in texture and then it does take a very long time to degrade. Take it home and stuff it in a compost heap where it degrades quickly and usefully.
moffatross

Date Posted: 09.07hrs on Sun 20 Sep 09
As apple trees don't grow above around 1,000 foot or so, I don't really understand why the parasitic flora would be present higher up that are used to dealing with apple cores rather than banana skins. That aside, what honestly is the problem with small amounts of wind blown wooden natured detritus (old, dried banana skins) wedged between some peat and rock ? Can't I console myself a little with the thought that I'm eventually enriching the life off a bit of sphagnum, an earthworm or a clump of heather.

Anyway, If I stop leaving my banana skins behind, my next logical step would be not to drive or cycle along the strip of tarmac that tore through another natural habitat to actually get to the mountains. Let alone buying bananas that have been shipped half way around the world in the first place, or even apples that weren't grown in my own garden and have hopped back and forth by a thousand or so road miles in the supply chain to arrive at my local Tesco.

Nope, when it come to nana peel, this worm is not for turning.
Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: