You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Jamie

Mar Lodge Ski Centre - season 09/10
Date Posted: 00.42hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Don't know why all you folks are raving about the conditions on the 'gorm just now, when the conditions at Mar Lodge Ski Centre (near Braemar) are bangin' at the moment!

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/3/sc/09dec26/

2013 will see the 50th anniversary of the opening of what was then the Mar Lodge Ski Centre. The two T-Bar tows have long since been moved to Glenshee, and all the snowmaking equipment (then the most extensive in Europe) removed. The remnants of support anchors and foundations still lie on the hillside, and the hint of old piste lines can still be made out in the summertime. 44 years since the closure of the centre (i.e. this year), we carried out a summer site-visit to inspect what was left. Seeing the old piste lines - with one in particular, that was cut prominently through the 'Maple Leaf' forest - inspired me enough to know that I had to return in the winter to experience the area 'properly'.

Today, that opportunity arose. The snow was deep - up to my knees lower down, and to my upper thighs at times towards the top. This was bad news for the pooch, who ended up resembling a sheep! Since all the snow fell straight down the runs on the open hillside far exceeded my expectations, but unfortunately the lack of drifting meant that the main 'tree run' didn't have as much cover. Nevertheless, a combination of the deep snow and the fact that the centre closed in 1965 meant I had the luxury of first tracks and powder turns right across the hill!

What an introduction to Mar Lodge. But I can't help but wonder when the slopes of Creag Bhalg last saw skiers, or when they next will.

Got a pile of photos up here (across 2 pages):
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/misc/3/sc/09dec26/

Here's 2 of them:
Laying fresh tracks from the top of the old Red T-Bar (now the Cairnwell T-Bar at Glenshee). Heading for the tree run

About to exit the main tree run at Mar Lodge, heading back to the open hillside

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.00hrs Sun 27 Dec 09 by Jamie.
Lionel

Last Visited: 01:15
26th Nov 2017
Re: Mar Lodge Ski Centre - season 09/10
Date Posted: 00.56hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
That's a fantastic report Jamie ! For sure the best tree-skiing in Scotland so far. Bravo et félicitations.

Greetings from the Alps,

Lionel
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 08.47hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Fantastic set of photos Jamie. Looks far better than my imagination conjured up in the summer.

Great effort. Hope pooch has recovered.

Helen
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 09.44hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Who is Pooch ? I know I am curious. :-)
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 09.54hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
I'll answer here Lionel. He is the most adorable cocker spaniel dog. Melts my heart every time I meet him smiling smiley

Helen
Lionel

26th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 10.02hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Thanks Helen ! Have a nice day skiing (I hope).
Chionophile

Last Visited: 22:07
24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 11.18hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
What an excellent addition to our July ski-archaeology day, Jamie! On that day I remember standing beside you at the top of the run in the Maple Leaf Wood. We were looking down the run twisting steeply through the pine trees in warm sunshine. Your face had a steely yet longing look, so I surmised that you were thinking you would like to return one day and ski down that run! I think one of the July photos, maybe taken by your father, showed the two of us standing there, and if my memory is right the photo also shows that steely longing look!

I have never seen anybody skiing on these slopes except during the short period of the ill-fated ski development. I've often skied on the track, which is a good way over to Glen Quoich and the hills east of Glen Lui, but it doesn't take much snow to make the track skiable. But it's a different matter on the boulder-strewn slope. Paradoxically, since the deer fence erected in 1995 has excluded red deer and allowed the heather to become knee-high or even thigh-high in places, it now requires a much deeper snowfall to make the slope skiable than in the years before the fence, when the deer grazing was so hard that the grassy vegetation was short, almost like a lawn.

A coincidence is that a few evenings ago I had been sorting out CDs and found this one with no note on what it was, so I looked at it. It was a TV film on the Landward series, where I had been interviewed in spring 2000. The film showed me walking along the edge of the river Dee west of Inverey and pointing out deer faeces among the pine trees. But, and here's the interesting point, in the background was your Creag Bhalg slope and the Maple Leaf Wood, AND, the only snow visible on the entire slope was a curve around the western edge of the Maple Leaf Wood! The snow was quite deep and would have given a short run. Another part of the film showed Meall Odhar Beag at Glenshee ski centre, with large wreaths in certain hollows facing northwest, obviously following snowfalls on southeast winds. So I presume that this had been the case at the Maple Leaf Wood also. My guess is that the wind carrying the blowing snow would have been reduced in speed by the wood, sufficient for a concentration of snow to drop and collect on the west side of the wood. In other words, the wood would have been acting as a kind of snow-fence on a large scale. When I saw the wreath on Creag Bhalg on the TV film I immediately thought of Jamie Johnston, because I knew you were hoping to come over and ski there, now that there was deep snow lying even on low ground. Next time we meet I'll give you the CD for you to add to your archive.

Hae a guid 2010!
Adam
I think Mr Paul Panchaud, the son of Gerald who paid for the ski facilities, would be interested to see your photos. A good introduction for you to interview him for your archive!
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.05hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
brilliant Jamie - and no telemarking tracks there to spoil it for you
great tree skiing too
mtq1000

Last Visited: 18:19
15th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.20hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Jamie fantastic photos! Must have been a great day for you!
al

Last Visited: 09:34
23rd Jan 2019
Date Posted: 19.59hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Cool as. Your pooch seems to be pretty handy with the camera.

Jamie

Date Posted: 21.15hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Thanks for your messages all.

Adam I'll look forward to the CD. The trip was a nice way of bringing 'closure' to our ski-archaeology day in July, which definitely left me wanting more!

I was very aware that I could perhaps have got more powder turns on the higher tops, but to be honest I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else yesterday! I don't think I could have experienced Creag Bhalg in better conditions either.

Helen - the submarine (Bailey) definitely enjoyed returning to the fire in the evening!! The powder snow was melting to his coat before rapidly refreezing again, so he was looking decidedly sheep-like! He ended up standing on my skis whenever I stopped so he could stay afloat!

Most of the pictures are stills taken from video footage. Half of which I set up with a tripod - skiing down, then hiking back up to switch it off. My father came along for the ride and the fresh air, and was kind enough to sacrifice the feeling in several fingers to take the other half of the footage!

and tele - yep, I was relieved not to pass your vehicle coming the other way on the Mar Lodge road! Pleased to report that there was zero competition when it came to claiming the first tracks on Creag Bhalg! Ha ha. But maybe my report will inspire a few others to claim some historic turns at some point in the future?..
moffatross

Date Posted: 21.18hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09
Superb Jamie. They must be the 44 year old moguls in that first photo eh ? smiling smiley
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 22.45hrs on Sun 27 Dec 09

Congratulations on getting this run done, and still only 2009. - Still got the bulk of 2010 season ahead of you!

Did I misst the video somewhere, or is that being compiled? - "The Return of Panchaud Villa"...? grinning smiley
gunni

Last Visited: 16:46
28th Dec 2018
Date Posted: 22.31hrs on Tue 29 Dec 09
superb! you gonna try all from your "scottish ski history" section? that could be a good challenge for the season!
Jamie

Date Posted: 12.44hrs on Wed 30 Dec 09
Gunni - the thought had actually crossed my mind.. winking smiley

HTH - nope, you haven't missed a link to the video - it isn't online (yet).
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: