You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Re: Mar Lodge Ski Centre - season 09/10
Date Posted: 12.59hrs on Wed 30 Dec 09
What about adding the 'almost history' at the Drumochter ski centre to your season's targets? It's rare to hear any chat about that one.
There's a pretty good tour to be had out there with descents on what would have been their black runs. I used to have a copy of the draft map in a book somewhere, along with a description of the proposed development. I'll look it out one day for a bit of fun.
Jamie

Date Posted: 13.22hrs on Wed 30 Dec 09
Yep - Dalwhinnie Corries, as well as the other one in Drumochter area that was competing for development (at Jean's Gully) are both on my to-do list Hustler. Hopefully sometime this winter! Interested?

Though I have always fancied one or two choice descents on the other side (and in full view) of the A9 winking smiley so whenever I get to Drumochter it'll be a toss-up as to which side of the road I go. Though the snow should decide that for me, given the very different aspects.

When I passed through 2 days ago none of the Drumochter lines (that I'm eyeing up) seemed particularly well filled at the moment. However - with the high winds forecast it'll be interesting to see where the snow drifts to.
Scomuir

Date Posted: 13.39hrs on Wed 30 Dec 09
As a kid sitting in the car being driven along the A9, I always thought it would be cool to ski down the face of the Boar of Badenoch and the Sow of Atholl, which is what I am guessing you were referring to Jamie? Might just get round to skiing them sometime, maybe this year.

[www.scomuir.com]
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 13.54hrs on Wed 30 Dec 09
Yup, I'm in. We'll maybe want to wheel in Telemarker too, although it's a heck of a long drive for him. Unless he uses the Landcruiser and comes by a more direct and "interesting" route!
Getting a key and taking the 'Cruiser in up the estate road might be handy though and make a good base high in the corrie, with a stove in the back...

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.08hrs on Wed 30 Dec 09
let me fix the rear axle/differential lock acuator first.... £400 for a small metal box - motor/worm drive.... GRRRR
centre locker still working...

ive also often looked at those hills, and also often seen avalanche debris on them..

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.09hrs Wed 30 Dec 09 by telemarker.
Rob Crofts

Date Posted: 07.38hrs on Fri 23 Nov 18
Hello there, been a while since there's been activity on this thread.

I was intrigued by the story of this lost ski centre,that i had never heard of. And now that winter (18/19) is getting near, and time to dust off the touring skis, I thought it could be a nice little mission to ski these historic runs.

Seems that the links to photos are broken, does anyone have a working link, or a 'map' illustrating the pistes?

It's near 10 years since the trip noted in this thread was skied, so soon could be turn for another shot.

Cheers
Rob Crofts
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: