You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Ski waxing iron
Date Posted: 10.59hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10

I want to start hot waxing my owns skis and boards, so I'm after a waxing iron. Is a cheap(ish) domestic dry iron (i.e. no steam or water sprays) suitable? I'm just a bit worried about the possibility of burning the base if the temperature was too high or uncontrollable. Any idea what temperature would start to burn bases? Thanks.
mdearman

Last Visited: 07:28
11th Jan 2019
Re: Ski waxing iron
Date Posted: 11.03hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
I'm no expert but I've been using a travel iron and never burned anything. actually I did burn a hole in some laminate flooring once with molten petex, but that was unrelated to the iron...
Barney

Last Visited: 20:36
23rd Dec 2011
Date Posted: 11.04hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
I use a cheap domestic iron. You can tell if it's too hot cos the wax starts smoking! You can buy specific waxing irons, but they're a lot more expensive!
mdem

Last Visited: 14:26
27th Feb 2018
What's this?
Date Posted: 11.13hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
a cheap second hand travel iron off ebay does the trick - got one for about 4 quid!

has the advantage of being light and small so you can take it on trips with you.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.14hrs Wed 20 Jan 10 by mdem.
robpaterson

Last Visited: 08:50
24th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 11.14hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
I have a Tesco Value iron for waxing my board seems to do the job was about £8 i think
dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
I use a travel iron - works for me.

The one adavantage of a real waxing iron is if you are using a wide variety of waxes for different conditions, especially some of the colder and fluoro waxes which require higher temps to melt, then on a proper waxing iron you can set the correct temp for the wax.

For me, as I hardly ever use a really cold wax and can't afford more than LF wax for the race skis, a travel iron is fine and with a bit of experience soon found the settings to get the correct temps for the waxes I use.
ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 11.40hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
Who's gonna post up and idiots guide (with Pics) to home waxing, so see if it's worth not paying a shop to do it...?
gunni

Last Visited: 16:46
28th Dec 2018
Date Posted: 12.22hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
yup I use a cheap domestic dry iron I got for about a tenner.... if the wax smokes its too hot.... thats all I go by!
madbaddad

Date Posted: 12.28hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
ColinTheCop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who's gonna post up and idiots guide (with Pics)
> to home waxing, so see if it's worth not paying a
> shop to do it...?

Here are a couple of links to home waxing guides that I found when I started waxing my own boards last year:

[snowheads.com]

[www.snowgo.com]

Forgot this one - which has a video

[www.sierrasnowboard.com]

----------------------------------------------------
I prefer the term - Evil Genius

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 12.33hrs Wed 20 Jan 10 by madbaddad.
jurassic

Last Visited: 13:46
13th Nov 2023
Date Posted: 12.51hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
Colin the cop, doing your own hot waxing is easy and satisfying, the main danger is dripping wax on the floor and getting in trouble with SWMBO (easily avoided if you have a garage, I don't so it gets done in the kitchen winking smiley )
Another vote for the travel iron option from me, I did borrow a Bakoda waxing iron from a friend once which was excellent but a bit expensive.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.53hrs Wed 20 Jan 10 by jurassic.
DaveA

Last Visited: 00:06
19th Jan 2015
Date Posted: 13.02hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
I also use a travel iron - they are cheap, more easily maneuvered, and they don't tend to get too hot as they are cheaply made!

and yeah, once the wax is smoking then it's too hot - turn off the iron and open a window if this happens as those fumes can be toxic! the wax will burn well before your bases so you shouldn't have issues with damaging them.

i tend to wax my own but if the skis need serious attention there is a place on rodney street in edinburgh who just did mine and fixed them up proper. i had some deep gouges right through to the metal after hitting several rocks going down a wind scoured off piste bit in between val d'isere and tignes when i was on holiday a couple weeks ago. i nearly cried when i saw the bases after that - but now they are totally sorted. he fixed them with p-tex and glue wire, gave them an excellent waxing which apparently was finished with a horsehair brush - for 20 sheets.

the guy in the shop was a great bloke as well, very knowledgeable and tried to turn away my business as he said i could do it myself but i didn't trust myself to fix such serious damage with my first go at p-texing.

i don't think they have their own website but here is their entry on gumtree:

[edinburgh.gumtree.com]

BoardWorkin

Last Visited: 20:19
6th Mar 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.04hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
yeah agree, really satisfying zen-like thing waxing ur own board, easy and much cheaper. Carefull though if u have laminate flooring as the floor ends up really waxed and slippy too.. and when the iron I use is put to more 'domestic' purposes it waterproofs my shirts too smiling smiley
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 13.05hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10

Thanks guys,

Does it matter if the base of the travel iron is not completely smooth? Nearly all travel irons are steam irons (OK dont have to put water in, but they still have holes - does this cause a problem?)

Dunc
DaveA

Last Visited: 00:06
19th Jan 2015
Date Posted: 13.06hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
nope!

(not in my experience anyway)
malks

Last Visited: 16:49
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.17hrs on Wed 20 Jan 10
nope, the holes very quickly fill up with wax anyway. just watch out when your finished waxing though, as the hot wax still inside the holes will drip out, so dont go leaving it on a nice bit of carpet or something!
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: