You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:14 of 14
JimBob

Re: Southern Scotland, England and Wales - 2010 snow patches
Date Posted: 10.47hrs on Fri 18 Jun 10
Hi,

This is all fascinating stuff. So much so that I feel I need to join up!
I'm based in South Africa these days (and missing the Scottish hills). However, I'm originally from Dumfries and Galloway. In 1994 I recall the long-lying patch on Corserine's North-East-facing corrie lasting until 21st June. This hill (813m I think) is in the Rhins of Kells range, in case anyone doesn't know of it.

Can anyone tell me how this compares with historic records South of Loch Lomond?

Cheers,
Jim.
firefly

Date Posted: 06.01hrs on Sun 20 Jun 10
[www.llansadwrn-wx.co.uk]

"Now much reduced in size the last patch in view from Llansadwrn (on Carnedd Llewelyn) was still there on the 19th."
firefly

Date Posted: 05.49hrs on Thu 24 Jun 10
The west-facing Carnedd Llewelyn patch finally disappeared on the 22nd June, according to Donald Perkins. However, a fascinating note from him below. The place called Y Ffoes Ddyfn is known to Chionophile and I (see my post above), and it seems that there is still a sizeable bit left after all...

Good news. I have located Y Ffoes Ddyfn. It is not on any map and is unsighted from Anglesey and possibly from anywhere else and off the usual tracks. It is indeed a 'deep cut' as described in 1909!

Interestingly it is just over the crest of the Carneddau from the last patch visible from Llansadwrn. <...> on Sunday 20th my son Gordon located it and said it contained a largish patch of snow estimate 60 ft long, that should last a while longer. Surrounding state of the ground suggested much large recently, so must now be diminishing rather quickly. Hoping one of us will be able to visit again soon. I will make another attempt on Friday, but Gordon says he is able to go on the 30th weather permitting. So here's hoping for a July melt-date although it has been rather warm of
late, but no rain which helps!

firefly

Date Posted: 09.44hrs on Tue 29 Jun 10
Amazingly, snow still persisting at 25 June on Carnedd Llewelyn. The main patch had broken into three pieces, the largest of which was around 30ft x 12ft by 1.5ft deep. Probably won't persist into July, but you just never know... Thanks to Donald Perkins for the update.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09.45hrs Tue 29 Jun 10 by firefly.
aigle

Last Visited: 21:27
2nd Oct 2010
Date Posted: 15.01hrs on Tue 29 Jun 10
I was on Carnedd Llewellyn on Monday 28th and saw no snow despite taking my time and going 'off the beaten track' from Foel Grach. I think I came across the IFD feature.

Another very warm day.
firefly

Date Posted: 17.57hrs on Tue 29 Jun 10
Very interesting, aigle. You might save someone a trip! The Deep Cut is here. You might recognise it from Donald's picture, which can be found at the bottom of this page: [www.llansadwrn-wx.co.uk]
aigle

Last Visited: 21:27
2nd Oct 2010
Date Posted: 07.24hrs on Wed 30 Jun 10
I was at the right spot. It's possible I missed some very small 'bits' of snow but I don't think so. I also looked back to the area on my descent.

For those unfamiliar with the hill it's easy to see how snow gathers in the area.
There are large expanses of either flat or gently sloping ground in each direction which is often grass covered and generally lacks rocks or other features to trap drifting snow.

The col and Foel Grach are, of course, windswept.
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.27hrs on Fri 2 Jul 10
When I used to live in Snowdonia the most relaible skiing was usually just south of there down from the summit of Carnedd llewellyn to Ffynnon Lyfant, where the remains of the Canberra lie.

Current Page:14 of 14
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: