You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:12 of 14
firefly

Re: Southern Scotland/northern England - 2010 snow patches
Date Posted: 20.41hrs on Fri 4 Jun 10
Ben Lomond's last wreath on the south face melted yesterday. An extraordinary late date. I have known it to vanish in March before, so persistence until June is exceptional.

firefly

Date Posted: 21.07hrs on Fri 4 Jun 10
Close-up photographs of the Scafell snow from Monday (31st May). Also, apparently, a small patch on the western slopes of Helvellyn. This is off the beaten track of photographers, so that's why it hasn't been picked up. Good to know, though.

Still a toss-up between Scafell and Cross Fell by the looks of it. I'll plump for Scafell. I wonder if the Cheviot will outlast them?! jonathan, if you're going up this weekend be sure to take some photographs!

PaulC

Last Visited: 20:11
12th Aug 2010
Date Posted: 08.31hrs on Sat 5 Jun 10
Hi

From my vantage point in Alston, there is one small patch left on the NE Ridge of Crossfell. The wreath or strip of snow along the Western Ridge was visible from Ousby on the 3rd June but not visible by the 4th June.

If this link works, this photo was taken yesterday from the A686 nr Alston

[forum.bramptonweather.co.uk]

Also some photos from the 2nd June

[www.flickr.com]

The patch of snow shown where the photograher is stood on the snow is the same as the photo from the A686 but close up !!!!

Brief discussion here - [forum.bramptonweather.co.uk]

Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria
www.bramptonweather.co.uk

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.37hrs Sat 5 Jun 10 by PaulC.

firefly

Date Posted: 16.23hrs on Sat 5 Jun 10
Thanks, Paul. Good to see you registered and posting! Cross Fell's snow disappeared on the 13th May last year, as you know, so let's see how long the snow lasts this year. What date do you estimate the west facing snow lasted until? I am guessing the 3rd, based upon pictures and notes from elsewhere.

Stringy

Last Visited: 08:22
15th May 2020
Date Posted: 08.11hrs on Sun 6 Jun 10
Excellent! The patch in PaulC's pictures is the Cross Fell Well patch. You can follow it's progression if you look back at my posts from the 10th of May and the 25th of May. It still is quite impressive and as I thought this was the most likely to be the last remaining patch on Cross Fell because of it's extra depth.
Has anyone been into Kirkdale recently? I had a reliable sighting from Friday that the 3 patches were still there. I am also confident that 2 of the patches I found in the old workings above Rundale near Dufton will still be there as well as 1 on Green Fell. Unfortunately, I am away from Cumbria at the moment and cannot look for myself.
It was good to see the the pictures from the Lakes, I had a feeling that there would be a few patches left but hadn't had the chance to look myself.

jonathan

Last Visited: 12:34
7th Sep 2018
Date Posted: 12.50hrs on Mon 7 Jun 10
Unfortunately, I didn't make it up to see the Bizzle or Hen hole patches, due to the very poor weather on the Sunday. However did note whilst driving north on the Saturday, 5th June that the main snow patches on the south side of Cheviot had gone.

firefly

Date Posted: 15.08hrs on Mon 7 Jun 10
jonathan Wrote:
Unfortunately, I didn't make it up to see the Bizzle or Hen hole patches, due to the very poor weather on the Sunday. However did note whilst driving north on the Saturday, 5th June that the main snow patches on the south side of Cheviot had gone.

As I suspected, jonathan!

The snow was still there on the 28th, but the warm weather of the last few days has obviously put an end to it. I judge the snow would have melted around 3 June, would you agree? How clear was your view?

crouch_potato

Last Visited: 21:27
22nd Feb 2019
Date Posted: 19.38hrs on Tue 8 Jun 10
Firefly- I reckon you'd be about right on 3/4th for the melting of Cheviots southerly patches. I was away from Friday and visibility wasn't good on Thursday pm, but I think they were there still on Thursday am (before it got hazy later on). I haven't seen them since- and would have guessed (as jonathan suggests) that they have gone. The view hasn't been clear enough to see the remains of Cross Fell either, but I'm confident there's still a few patches on the North, maybe into Kirkdale and possibly even on the lesser seen/visited area on the northwest slopes amongst some of the old mine remains that nobody has mentioned yet but occasionally outlast the summit wreaths. Hope to get some June skiing in yet so may be out this week/weekend for a visit.

firefly

Date Posted: 19.54hrs on Tue 8 Jun 10
Bullseye!

The perseverance finally pays off... Who can spot the snow in this photograph? Nope? Look closely here.

A small but unmistakable patch of June snow in Wales! The trip report is here, and the date is unequivocal (2nd June). The location, so far as I can establish, is around here, at 820 metres, on Glyder Fach.

I don't know if Carnedd Llewelly is still clinging on to any snow. The last report I heard was that it was, but that was on the 23rd May. I suspect not, but I'll keep my ear to the ground. smiling smiley

AlTodd

Last Visited: 07:04
28th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 06.28hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
Firefly are you sure that's not a Tesco bag ...............? !!

firefly

Date Posted: 07.34hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
AlTodd Wrote:
Firefly are you sure that's not a Tesco bag ...............? !!

smiling smiley Definitely snow! You get to sniff these things out when you've been doing it for as long as I have.

Kirkland Gully snow on Cross Fell disappeared on 4 June. Also reports of snow still hanging on at Great Dun Fell, near Shake Hole.

Fairly sure Cross Fell's northern snow will still be there, but doubtless PaulC will fill us in on that one when it goes.

David Hosking

Last Visited: 11:13
29th Jun 2010
Date Posted: 08.48hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
Cross fell from 30th May, still plenty of the large wreath left.

Attachments: 20100530f.jpg (171kB)  
tim1mw

Date Posted: 18.58hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
firefly Wrote:
A small but unmistakable patch of June snow in Wales! The trip report is here, and the date is unequivocal (2nd June). The location, so far as I can establish, is around here, at 820 metres, on Glyder Fach.

I was up on Glyder Fach/Fawr 22nd May and Snowdon 23rd May and can confirm that there were a number of small snow patches, the ones I remember are:

1) Two too the north of the path which runs from Llyn y Cwm to the summit of Glyder Fawr.
2) One high up in Cwm Bochlwrd (probably the same one firefly saw)
3) Several patches visible on the distant mountainside looking towards Snowdon from Llyn y Cwm (Cwm Glas/Cwm Uchaf I think)
4) On the scree/cliffs to the south of the Miners/Pyg Track above Glaslyn.

I do have pictures, which i'll post if I have time to dig them out.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 19.30hrs Wed 9 Jun 10 by tim1mw.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 19.23hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
OK, these are my pictures.

Attachments: Cwm Bochlwyd.jpg (181kB)   Glyder_Fawr.jpg (134kB)   Glyder_Fawr_Zoom.jpg (187kB)  
Stringy

Last Visited: 08:22
15th May 2020
Date Posted: 19.30hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
I have been able to make a quick visit home this week and have been out on Cross Fell yesterday (8th June) and Rundale today (9th June) despite some pretty grim weather. I will post photos later in the week. As expected the Cross Fell Well patch is still there and looking quite good. It measures about 10m x 5m and up to 0.5m deep. This should last another week or so I reckon which will mean that that hollow will have been continuously snow covered for 6 months. Pretty good for an English hill! I then dropped down to Kirkdale and, sorry to condradict you Firefly, found snow in 2 of the hollows! These were completely invisible from below as the hollows are very deep. The middle hollow had a tiny patch about the size of an A3 piece of paper(!) and will be gone now. The left hollow had 2 small patches and that may last a couple of days. So the Kirkdale sites did outlast the summit wreath!
Today, I visited the sites above Great Rundale behind Dufton Pike. I found these patches 2 weeks ago and was quite impressed. One of the sites still has some - 2 patches measuring about 1m x 2m and 4m x 5m. So, unless any finds anything else.
I can't comment on the other sites mentioned but may get out again tomorrow if the weather improves.

Current Page:12 of 14
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: