You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:13 of 14
tim1mw

Re: Southern Scotland/northern England - 2010 snow patches
Date Posted: 19.30hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
The rest of the pictures (how do I attach more than three two a post?)

Attachments: Snowdon1.jpg (192kB)   Snowdon2.jpg (236kB)   Towards Snowdon from Llyn y Cwm.jpg (155kB)  
Stringy

Last Visited: 08:22
15th May 2020
Date Posted: 19.45hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
Pennine update: June the 9th.

I have been able to make a quick visit home this week and have been out on Cross Fell yesterday (8th June) and Rundale today (9th June) despite some pretty grim weather. I will post photos later in the week. As expected the Cross Fell Well patch is still there and looking quite good. It measures about 10m x 5m and up to 0.5m deep. This should last another week or so I reckon which will mean that that hollow will have been continuously snow covered for 6 months. Pretty good for an English hill! I then dropped down to Kirkdale and, sorry to condradict you Firefly, found snow in 2 of the hollows! These were completely invisible from below as the hollows are very deep. The middle hollow had a tiny patch about the size of an A3 piece of paper(!) and will be gone now. The left hollow had 2 small patches and that may last a couple of days. So the Kirkdale sites did outlast the summit wreath!
Today, I visited the sites above Great Rundale behind Dufton Pike. I found these patches 2 weeks ago and was quite impressed. One of the sites still has some - 2 patches measuring about 1m x 2m and 4m x 5m. So, unless any finds anything else.
I can't comment on the other sites mentioned but may get out again tomorrow if the weather improves.

firefly

Date Posted: 20.10hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
Excellent Stringy, and glad to be contradicted! The Kirkland gully patch sounds like the one on Aonach Mor protalus inasmuch as it becomes invisible from below due to being obscured by a ridge in front of it. My information came from a sighting below, so that explains that. Just goes to show, there's nothing to beat field work by dedicated amateur enthusiasts! smiling smiley

As for the main one on Cross Fell, it sounds well dug in, and the forecast of cooler weather makes me believe that it'll last into the weekend, at least.

firefly

Date Posted: 20.12hrs on Wed 9 Jun 10
tim1mw Wrote:
2) One high up in Cwm Bochlwrd (probably the same one firefly saw)

That's the one in the picture: no doubt about it. Excellent, Tim, good to have you back. There may yet be snow on Carnedd Llewelyn, but I doubt it.

Stringy

15th May 2020
Date Posted: 19.32hrs on Thu 10 Jun 10
A couple of other thoughts about the patches left on the Pennines. I drove up here to the Eden Valley on Monday afternoon (7th of June) and the hills were clear of cloud. I got quite excited because I spotted 2 patches - the Great Rundale patch that I visited on the 9th and a tiny one on Green Fell. I intended to visit this as well but since then the weather has not played ball. Strong easterlies have resulted in a Helm wind and thick cloud cover. I got very wet on Tuesday on Cross Fell wandering around in the cloud! It was drier yesterday but I did not go to Green Fell and I think that this has probably gone although I may get up there at the weekend.

There maybe some on Great Dun Fell in a large scoop above the Silver Bad mine - this area had a huge depth of snow earlier in the spring. Other sites on Great Dun Fell have probably melted by now as there was only minor patches on my last visit over 2 weeks ago.

I think the area of mine workings to the north of Cross fell mentioned by Crouch_Potato will also have lost it's snow - I walked about here a couple of weeks ago and observed on minor patches. Sorry no pictures yet - I will post them ASAP.

firefly

Date Posted: 20.36hrs on Thu 10 Jun 10
The wonderfully helpful Donald Perkins has updated his site. [www.llansadwrn-wx.co.uk]

"On the 2nd several large snow beds were present around 2850 ft on cliffs between Foel-grach and Carnedd Llewelyn, though becoming smaller these were persisting on the 7th."

Stringy

15th May 2020
Re: Southern Scotland, England and Wales - 2010 snow patches
Date Posted: 18.15hrs on Fri 11 Jun 10
The Cross Fell Well patch is still hanging in there. It is visible from Hartside Pass. No other patches are now visible from the valley although 1 or 2 may remain in hollows.

I'm impressed by the report from North Wales. It would be good to see some pictures.

Plus,how about those Scafell patches. Anybody been there in the last few days?

firefly

Date Posted: 21.02hrs on Sun 13 Jun 10
Donald Perkins reports the larger Carnedd Llewelyn patch still hanging in there as of 11 June.

Looks like a toss-up between that and Cross Fell for the longest-lasting snow south of Loch Lomond-side.

Stringy

15th May 2020
Date Posted: 07.57hrs on Mon 14 Jun 10
We had a lot of rain yesterday and it just about did for the Cross Fell Well patch. I nipped up there yesterday evening and whilst there was some snow it will be gone at some point today. The patch was very thin and small.

All traces had gone from Kirkdale so I will suggest the final melting dates as:

Kirkdale, probably the 10th of June.

Cross Fell Well: 14th of June.

Rundale: I presume that this will have gone possibly on the 12th or 13th of June.

I am 99% certain that there are not any more patches anywhere in the Pennines.

firefly

Date Posted: 08.51hrs on Mon 14 Jun 10
Thanks, Stringy: this is excellent information. When you say it was small, what sort of dimensions are we talking about?

firefly

Date Posted: 20.38hrs on Mon 14 Jun 10
England & Wales' last snow? Carnedd Llewellyn on Friday. Curiously, and signifying the direction of the storms this year, the snow is west-facing and not in the well-known (to some!) Y ffoes ddyfn (Welsh for The deep cut), which JRG Jones wrote about as being the point in England and Wales where snow lies longest. This photograph was taken from Anglesey, so there's no way it can be east-facing.

Stringy

15th May 2020
Date Posted: 22.17hrs on Tue 15 Jun 10
Here are some pictures at last!
1: Crossfell Well patch last Tuesday (8th of June).
2: Crossfell Well patch long view from Hartside last Friday (11th of June).
3: Crossfell Well patch on Sunday evening (13th June).

Attachments: 2 Crossfell Well 8-6-10.JPG (147kB)   7 Crossfell view 11-6-10.JPG (127kB)   8 Crossfell Well 13-6-10.JPG (237kB)  
Stringy

15th May 2020
Date Posted: 22.36hrs on Tue 15 Jun 10
Some more pictures from the past week.

1: The final Kirkdale patch in the left most hollow last Tuesday (8th of June).
2: Close up of Kirkdale patch.
3: The final patch in the mine working above Great Rundale last Wednesay (9th of June).

From my observations of these sites in the Pennines which have been roughly every 2 weeks since early April, I estimate the rate of melting to be about 1 to 1.5 metre of depth per fortnight and fairly similar at all of the sites. Earlier in the spring the rate of melting was slower and more dependant on aspect and altitude, but I would estimate that some of the sites had a maximum depth of 8 metres or more. The Kirkdale sollows in particular are about 8 - 10 metres deep and in January they formed a uniform slope.

Attachments: 4 Kirkdale 8-6-10.JPG (223kB)   3 Kirkddale 8-6-10.JPG (205kB)   5 Rundale 9-6-10.JPG (203kB)  
PaulC

Last Visited: 20:11
12th Aug 2010
Date Posted: 07.41hrs on Thu 17 Jun 10
From my vantage point in Alston, the main patch on Crossfell was last seen on the 12th June, heavy rain most of day on the 13th June would have finished it off. I cannot see anything else either on GDF or western side of Crossfell

( viewing via roads only )

So for my purposes 12th June 2010 will go down as the last day of snow on the North Pennines. Hope somebody can prove me wrong with a photo.

Paul C
www.bramptonweather.co.uk

firefly

Date Posted: 17.05hrs on Thu 17 Jun 10
Thanks, Paul. Check Stringy's post above. The picture below is Cross Fell, evening of the 13th June. I've got melt date as 14th.

Current Page:13 of 14
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: