You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:4 of 14
firefly

Re: Southern Scotland/northern England - 2010 snow patches
Date Posted: 19.17hrs on Sun 25 Apr 10
Excellent contributions, chaps! I'm surprised by the amount of snow still in Wales, and the patch in the photographs on Aran Fawddwy must be close to being Britain's most southerly. I'd be interested to know if there any on the Breacons.

Came across some good photographs from today that were taken on Carnedd Llewelyn.

Some more from that set are here. It seems like there's still a good amount there: enough to get into May quite comfortably.

As for Helvellyn, the photograph below from yesterday shows, I think, the head of Brown Cove from Lower Man. Still a very deep wreath here, as you can see from the people in the image. Again, enough here to see it well into May. If May is cool, possibly even June. Hopeful signs!

WelshWizard

Last Visited: 13:20
3rd May 2015
Date Posted: 19.42hrs on Sun 25 Apr 10
The other hill there could still be snow tucked in a gully is Cadair Idris.

Also from Arthurs Seat this afternoon you could see a line of snow on the fence line that runs up towards the top of Blackhope Scar in the Moorfoots.

edog2009

Last Visited: 08:15
24th Jul 2017
Date Posted: 21.52hrs on Sun 25 Apr 10
Cadair Idris still had some snowpatches in its northern corries on Saturday 17th April - pics below. I think the patch visible in the first pic, which is just east of the main summit, will still be around.

Attachments: 1955.jpg (204kB)   IMG_2328.jpg (125kB)  
aigle

Last Visited: 21:27
2nd Oct 2010
Date Posted: 06.46hrs on Mon 26 Apr 10
On Sunday tea time, and from a distance, I could still sea the snow patch in Wildboarclough (western Peak District).

This is almost certainly England's most southerly patch (and not very high).

I might be able to visit the spot on Tuesday but I fear that today, Monday, might be its last.

In the'seventies and 'eighties there was snow on the Berwyn in May on a number of occassions

WelshWizard

Last Visited: 13:20
3rd May 2015
Date Posted: 08.12hrs on Mon 26 Apr 10
aigle, although not old enough to remember the Seventies I can second the comment about hill snow in Mid Wales - but it tends to come from cold spells rather than lasting patches.

The patch on Tinto is smaller still this morning but still there! Other hills were covered in cloud.

oldagedpredator

Last Visited: 18:17
19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 16.50hrs on Mon 26 Apr 10
Spoke to some of the Peak Park rangers this morning, still snow on Bleaklow and Black Hill, small patches on the later. One of them said they've seen snow patches on Bleaklow in June before.

firefly

Date Posted: 17.20hrs on Mon 26 Apr 10
Ah, so there is! Looks to be around SK085939, judging from the description of the plane wreck. Taken on Saturday. Well done, oldagedpredator! Did they say which part of Bleaklow it was?

I wish there were more enthusiasts in the Peaks so that we could have a final melt date of the last patch. Perhaps I will make that my summer project... smiling smiley

oldagedpredator

19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 18.53hrs on Mon 26 Apr 10
If the patch is nr the superfortress on Shelf Moor I'll look out tomorrow as I'm up there checking snow damage to stock fences.

firefly

Date Posted: 19.57hrs on Mon 26 Apr 10
Cadair Idris on Saturday, showing a reasonable sized wreath on the ridge.

Photo courtesy of jp018 on flickr.

aigle

Last Visited: 21:27
2nd Oct 2010
Date Posted: 13.34hrs on Tue 27 Apr 10
The Wildboarclough patch is just about hanging on, but I failed to attach a photo. It's on its last legs, at about five feet across and only about six inches deep at max (with some ice). Height 490m GR 000706 - all approx; Map 24 1:25,000

I think it was after the famous '94 winter that there were small patches in early June between the two highest Carneddau summits. There were also patches in upper Glencoynedale (S. of Hartside) that year. The grassy slopes north east of C. Llewellyn can also hold snow well into spring.

I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned the western Lakes since there were patches out there last May and there certainly are right now.

trickydicky

Last Visited: 13:38
6th Jun 2013
Date Posted: 15.29hrs on Tue 27 Apr 10
There was still snow on the northen aspects of Pillar and Scoat Fell (Ennerdale Fells) visible from my parents house last weekend, I imagine it will be still there seen as the weather hasnt changed a great deal. I can remember a patch on the north face of Scoat Fell lasting into June one year in the 90's, must have been 94 or 96.

firefly

Date Posted: 16.49hrs on Tue 27 Apr 10
Thanks, aigle. Interesting aspect. Facing SW, with a big expanse of flattish ground behind, which N & NE storms would blow a lot of snow into.

When you say the western Lakes, which hills are you referring to? Helvellyn seems to be the hill where snow lies longest, unless you know differently.

trickydicky, perhaps these are the hills to which aigle refers? Pictures always welcome... smiling smiley

Burnsy

Last Visited: 14:25
10th Dec 2012
Date Posted: 18.33hrs on Tue 27 Apr 10
There's still some snow hanging on to the Kilsyth Hills just north of Glasgow, this has been there since at least the 8th April. The attached photo was taken yesterday from my living room window but the're still holding on today. The 2 patches in the gully's are just north of Lennoxtown.

Attachments: 002 - Copy.JPG (216kB)  
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.21hrs on Tue 27 Apr 10
Wicklow Moutains - short update, actual locations and poor camera pics to be added.

North of Baltinglass between 2 peaks general south facing at least 5 snow patches, further to the North east, south east facing more snow patches, Finally heading round to Sally gap single snow patch. Once I get a map sorted I will add more detail of locations

oldagedpredator

19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 19.24hrs on Tue 27 Apr 10
Had a trip round Shelf Moor this morning - the snow patch is the southern one of two. Now down to around 4 or 5 square m. The northern one is around 2 square m but has a large hat of peat sat on top of it - slumped in from the gully above.

About a month ago this part of the pennine way was banked out to 4 or 5m with snow filling the whole clough in places.

Grid Ref is: SK 09730 94811 (ish)

There also looked like a very small patch. again 2-3 sq m, on the opp. side of Holden Clough to the A57 Gr SK 082 925 (ish) at around 480m its prob the lowest bit of snow.

Common factor of all the patches in the Peak I have seen is they're in atleast semi circular steep sided hollows facing west.

From the looks of one of the damaged fence sections I've today there seems to have been a rather large avalanche at SK 088 934 into Crooked Clough. About 70m of 8-80-18 stock netting has been ripped out. 60mm diam posts either pulled or snapped at the base. Damage is far greater than just the usual wire pull from snow loading.

Current Page:4 of 14
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: