You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:13 of 29
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 19.27hrs on Sat 15 Jun 13
Pippin Wrote:
igloo4you Wrote:
I'm sure you will all be delighted to know that Frank McCusker the CEO of the SCGB was recently in Scotland to meet with representatives from all the ski areas and the club are now working to ensure that the information they broadcast in future is up to date and relevant. It may be a long slow process but I believe we are now moving in the right direction. Andy

That's good news. Just a shame about the overtly anti-English comments being made in here.

I don't see any anti-English comments. Can you give examples please?
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 05.11hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
I don't see any anti-English comments either, and I write as an Englishman (who has spent two winters working on Cairngorm and has skied all 5 Scottish ski areas).

This "Pippin" person, who doesn't want to give their first name (but says they represent (or used to represent) the Ski Club of Great Britain), perhaps has a first name of "Mary". I don't think "Pippin" is writing in good faith and should be ignored. Just another 'internet weevil' (is that a Scottish word for 'small vil'?).

As for igloo4you's revelation that SCGB CEO Frank McCusker has met with the Scottish ski areas ... perhaps we could know more about that meeting (since it was presumably funded by SCGB members). After a span of 51 years' membership of the Tea Cup I have reached the end of my tether with its administration. It has falsified Scottish snow data for too long now. Frank, as a Scottishperson, is to be commended for restoring some communication but the anti-Scottish-skiing prejudices of his 'Surrey set' are too powerful for him to achieve anything meaningful. They don't want representation in Scotland, or representation by Scottish skiers, and they don't ski in Scotland (more fool them - Glencoe (just as one example) is an utterly magnificent hill on a good day. Andy, as operator of Glencoe, is to be commended for his inspired management of that hill - and honest snow reports - but STV and others should be referencing Winterhighland. And the SCGB should be linking to Winterhighland, since the snow reports here are filed by paying punters.

Why the Ski Club of Great Britain should be dissolved

The SCGB 'media pack' - just published - is another disgraceful use of statistical data to misinform and mislead (in this case advertisers) ...

[www.skiclub.co.uk]
"1.9 million unique users". Yeah, right.

I believe the Ski Club of Great Britain should now be wound up. It's reached the end of any natural life or justification for existence, and simply operates as a gravy boat for expenses-paid reps and other jolly-funded staff who swan about the Alps and Rockies, plundering the members' funds. When it's not acting as a jet-fuelled gravy train, it's just a promoter of commercial interests in skiing (while it should be an independent club of skiers). Some of these promotions (e.g. for ski helmets) have used dishonest data, against the interests of skiers (who want to make informed decisions on important matters). These are just two examples - I've cited many many others over the years.

The SCGB of 2013 is far removed from the outstanding organisation which was founded in 1903 (largely on the Scottish hills) and developed through to the early 1960s. It now performs no significant benefit to British skiers. Membership of the core 25-34 age demographic appears to have collapsed - to 5% (instead of what should be 15%-20%). That's a rare case of an unmanipulated figure apparent in the 'media pack'.

Pack it in!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05.49hrs Sun 16 Jun 13 by David Goldsmith.
awaytouring

Last Visited: 16:06
25th Jan 2020
Date Posted: 08.27hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
David - thirteen pages of drivvel later and you are still banging on about the issues you have with the SKGB. Give it a rest. On 3rd May I wrote this message:

awaytouring Wrote:
David, whilst I agree with your sentiments about SCGB, if it bothers you so much why do you continue to pay your subscriptions? If you feel it is obsolete and unable to serve you why not save yourself £65 per year or better still give it to charity?

I trust that now you have cancelled your membership?
tupp

Date Posted: 10.21hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
David, move to Inverness. Inverness was described to me as the "perfect hub" by another poster on here. It's true. Inverness is the perfect hub for outdoors people. You can reach most of the good spots in about an hour.

Move north and forget about the politics of the SCGB. Spend your days roaming the hills and catching a slide or two.

Life is simply too short to get wound up about these things.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.26hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
And take your dog David. I'm sure Tupp's "pooch" will show it the way down the Ciste Gully !
tupp

Date Posted: 10.42hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
She was limping last night. Old age is setting in! She's ok this morning though and thought that me taking my skis out of the car meant another slide today!

An easy stroll along the beach might be better.
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 10.50hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
I visited Inverness a couple of years ago and found it a bit big, to be honest. I'm used to Newtonmore!

I once hitched a lift from Newtonmore to Inverness and was picked up by a travelling fruit machine engineer. As we made our way ... on the old A9 (this was 1975) ... he handed me some magazines showing women having sex with dogs. That was as far as that particular revelation went, thankfully, but I'd be delighted to have a slide down the Ciste Gully with a friendly pooch (and no apres-ski obligations).
awaytouring

25th Jan 2020
Date Posted: 14.55hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
David - have you or have you not cancelled your subscription to SCGB?

yes or no.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.55hrs Sun 16 Jun 13 by awaytouring.
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 15.17hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
No

[I said above that I'm a member]
awaytouring

25th Jan 2020
Date Posted: 17.01hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
We are all aware that you are a longstanding member of SCGB, however in recent months you have publicly stated that the club serves no purpose and that is should be wound up (among other negative comments).

If it bothers you that much then why do you continue to be a member?

If, for example, you were a member of a tennis club and decided that the club no longer benefited you would you continue to hand over your hard earned money to them? And - would you continue a campaign to publicly slate the club, telling others that it was rubbish - or - would you stop paying your subs and move on with your life?

So - based on your continuing negative comments, do you intend to continue to pay your subscription to SCGB (and publicly slate them) or will you end your membership and find something else to do - such as dog walking?

Just curious
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.18hrs on Sun 16 Jun 13
Well a motion of dissolution to the AGM can only come from within the club? winking smiley
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 08.17hrs on Mon 17 Jun 13
awaytouring Wrote:
... in recent months you have publicly stated that the club serves no purpose and that is should be wound up ...

I think you must be confusing me with someone else. Between the winter of 1962, when I first became a member of the SCGB, and 16 June 2013 (the above posting) I've never called for the Club to be wound up.

Re. Alan's point above, and the issue of the SCGB being a private members' club, and individuals such as myself paying subscriptions to it ...

... it's important to remember that the Ski Club of GB has asserted its role as the "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports" in 1995 and more recently 2008. In that sense, the SCGB isn't private at all, but is public by its own definition.

As for paying a subscription, one cannot attend an AGM or vote without one. One either decides to have a voice, or quit/remain silent. I've been raising serious concerns about the SCGB since the late 1980s, and these merely seem to escalate.

More in due course.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 09.32hrs on Mon 17 Jun 13
More what ? Rubbish, Drivel. You have done well so far. Has the wife not got some chores for you to do ? How about putting some Creosote on your shed and fence !
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 09.44hrs on Mon 17 Jun 13
Personally I'd like to see the Scottish Ski Club strengthened as it has huts and could really benefit from the upsurge in snowsports right now.
awaytouring

25th Jan 2020
Date Posted: 14.30hrs on Mon 17 Jun 13
David - only yesterday you wrote the following:
David Goldsmith Wrote:

Why the Ski Club of Great Britain should be dissolved

and

David Goldsmith Wrote:

I believe the Ski Club of Great Britain should now be wound up. It's reached the end of any natural life or justification for existence, and simply operates as a gravy boat for expenses-paid reps and other jolly-funded staff who swan about the Alps and Rockies, plundering the members' funds. When it's not acting as a jet-fuelled gravy train, it's just a promoter of commercial interests in skiing (while it should be an independent club of skiers). Some of these promotions (e.g. for ski helmets) have used dishonest data, against the interests of skiers (who want to make informed decisions on important matters). These are just two examples - I've cited many many others over the years.

Yet today you are claiming that you have "never called for the club to be wound up" Are you for real?

Whilst you continue on your one man crusade against a club that you are a member, most people would be wandering why you are still a member.

So -
1 - why are you a member if you continually slate them in public and
2 - do you intend to pay your subscriptions when they come up for renewal?
Current Page:13 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: