You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:16 of 29
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 21.05hrs on Sun 8 Dec 13
It's absurd to report Scottish snow (where action is concentrated at weekends) by shutting off the flow of information at 13.30 on a Friday ... and then not resuming for 3 days ... in the meanwhile giving the impression that there's nothing doing on the Saturday, when skiing was available.

If the above comment constitutes a "personal vendetta" - sorry DaveF, you're not obliged to open this thread! - so be it.

The SCGB report above shows that helpful links to Winterhighland and/or ski-Scotland are still not provided.
DaveF

Last Visited: 23:37
18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 21.18hrs on Sun 8 Dec 13
Agree not being open over the weekend is not ideal but the report was accurate at the time. Why not suggest increasing subs to SCGB so that they can afford to have weekend working? Or take your information from other sites.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.24hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
I take issue with the notion that SCGB is "our national skiers' club". It isn't for me and never will be. To my life as a skier it is a total irrelevance and they don't represent me or any other skier I have ever met.

It the Far South in the remote city of London, some may have convinced themselves that this is a national club but at the centre of the action in the British Isles, the Highlands, SCGB has no bearing at all. Long may it stay that way.
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.35hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
Donald, I should have made clear that I was simply abbreviating the SCGB's official position - as per mission/communication statements that it is "the spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports".
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.46hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
DonaldM Wrote:
I take issue with the notion that SCGB is "our national skiers' club". It isn't for me and never will be. To my life as a skier it is a total irrelevance and they don't represent me or any other skier I have ever met.

It the Far South in the remote city of London, some may have convinced themselves that this is a national club but at the centre of the action in the British Isles, the Highlands, SCGB has no bearing at all. Long may it stay that way.

The Ski Club of Great Britain is by far the largest and oldest snow sports club in the United Kingdom. Even in Scotland it has a membership that exceeds the Ski Club of Scotland. It is also doubtful if the Ski Club of Scotland has ever lobbied any member of government on anything. Also like it or not, at the moment Scotland is not a sovereign independent country so the statement by the SCGB is factual and accurate.

I would note that the vast majority of snow sports enthusiasts from whatever part of the United Kingdom you are from are not members of any club. The vast majority of walkers in the countryside are not members of the Ramblers Association for example, but does not stop them representing their interests. The same is true of mountaineering and rock climbing or for that matter any other pastime. I think you need to get over it and accept that the largest and oldest snow sports club does like it or not represent all snow sports users in the United Kingdom.

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 12.12hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
" Ski Club of Scotland "
there is no ski club of scotland...skiing here was pioneered by mountaineering clubs and the scottish ski club...it's a very different scene than the southern one.
The MCofS do the lobbying here for all mountain activities (many skiers are walkers and climbers here in scotia) ...the SCGB is concerned with southerners going to the alps for their annual weeks holiday IMO.
I don't actually see any need for it at all and have never looked at their page for any info.....why would anyone care what they report anyway?...yet another london centric organisation.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.13hrs Mon 9 Dec 13 by Andy.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.04hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
Andy Wrote:
" Ski Club of Scotland "
there is no ski club of scotland...skiing here was pioneered by mountaineering clubs and the scottish ski club...it's a very different scene than the southern one.
The MCofS do the lobbying here for all mountain activities (many skiers are walkers and climbers here in scotia)

My mistake I should have called it the Scottish Ski Club; same difference if you ask me however [www.scottishskiclub.org.uk] I would point out their web pages describe one of the major functions of the club as organizing an annual trip to the Alps. Not sure what that has got to do with skiing in Scotland. Bunch of unpatriotic turn coats if you ask me smiling smiley

Also are all climbers, skiers and users of Scottish Mountains members of the MCofS? Given I am not a member how dare they claim to represent my interests. Thoroughly despicable and they should stop at once smiling smiley

Like I said SCGB is by far the largest and oldest snow sports club in the U.K. As such whether you like it or not they are the de-facto representatives for snow sports in the U.K.
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.12hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
Yes here in northern England it has almost no relevance to any of the real ski clubs who tend to work together for mutual benefit or through Snow sport England for eg. insurance and access to grant aid.

Unlike the Ramblers Assocation, BMC, BCU etc I don't think it took any interest in the access to the countryside legislation and as far as i can tell it is not really interested in the UK scene at all. That is unsurprising because it is based in London and seems to exist predominantly to represent skiers in the Alps.
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 13.39hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
SSC used to organise some races, they have huts at glencoe and nevis for use and I think they organise training for kids etc....not sure how if SCGB do anything like that in the Uk.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 14.20hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
The SSC and various local clubs eg. Cairngorm Ski Club, Glencoe Ski Club and several functioning as the Glenshee Performance Squad all provide coaching and training. The SSC has members huts at CairnGorm, Glencoe and Nevis Range, the Glenshee hut is shared between various clubs and also the Perth and Dundee clubs have their own huts at Glenshee.

These clubs have along with some of the legendary climbing clubs particularly the Creah Dhu and Lomond clubs been directly involved in the development of Scottish Skiing, including the physical construction of the earliest lifts. The original top tow at Glencoe was built by the Scottish Ski Club, the Meall Odhar T-bar by the Dundee Ski Club. While CairnGorm started out formally through the CWSDB - formed by various local interests, the Cairngorm Chairlift Company drew it's early engineering staff and management largely from the Creag Dhu Mountaineering Club.

All the various snowsport clubs and their members are affiliate members of Snowsport Scotland - which took on a lot of the roles formally of the Scottish Ski Club, so Snowsport Scotland's club network as a whole would be a fairer comparison for numbers, than the SSC alone.

Whether Jabuzzard and the SCGB likes it or not, Scotland is and always has been an independent legal jurisdiction and the SSC IS the national ski club in Scotland and Snowsport Scotland IS the national governing body.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.24hrs Mon 9 Dec 13 by alan.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.24hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
alan Wrote:
Whether Jabuzzard and the SCGB likes it or not, Scotland is and always has been an independent legal jurisdiction and the SSC IS the national ski club in Scotland and Snowsport Scotland IS the national governing body.

Nope from a legal perspective the SCGB can claim to be a national ski club, and it is by far the largest snow sports club in the nation of the United Kingdom. You could similarly claim that the RYA was not the national water sports club because it too is based in England. You would similarly be just as wrong.

The indignation that some people have about it representing their views is just the same for any leading club come lobby group for any sport or recreational activity. In this case it is also fuelled by petty nationalist fever, and misplaced inverted snobbery.

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.14hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
My 2p worth.

Think of it like the teams for the Olympics and the Commonwealth games....

SCGB is the club for the whole of the UK when making a joint decision which affects Scotland/Wales/England.

SSC & SS make the decisions when they only affect Scotland....

Simples!..........or not if you disagree....in that case I'll get my coat.

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---
pinhead27

Last Visited: 10:03
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.35hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
In this case it is also fuelled by petty nationalist fever, and misplaced inverted snobbery.

Spot on!
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.44hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
You guys need to put your nationalism to one side. We aren't all rabid Britnats ;-)

More seriously, I was merely pointing out that the SCGB is a total irrelevance to my skiing and always has been. They don't represent me but if they want to think they do I am relaxed with that.

I have never been a member of the SSC but they aren't an irrelevance as they have done a lot for skiing in Scotland which I and many others have benefited from. That's the difference.

Given the relatively small issue of snow depth reporting isn't done to everyone's satisfaction then I think it unlikely much more can be done by a remote and centralised structure.

That's all.

Date Posted: 22.18hrs on Mon 9 Dec 13
It might also be worth pointing out here that on the SCGB's Monday snow overview today, they reported that Cairngorm was open on Saturday, and that they don't expect to reopen until next week, when colder weather is forecast - both of which are correct.
Current Page:16 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: