You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:18 of 29
SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 11.50hrs on Mon 30 Dec 13
David Goldsmith Wrote:

It's now after 11.00 on Monday, and the SCGB reports still state that Cairngorm and Glencoe are closed (3 days later). For the record, both ski centres (and the other 3 Scottish ski centres) were open all weekend, and all are open this morning. Glencoe has 4 out of 7 lifts open. Cairngorm has 8 out of 11 lifts open.

Never used the SCGB website as always used the website for each ski area......BUT that is shockingly bad info!!!...O-O.........

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.19hrs on Mon 30 Dec 13
DonaldM Wrote:
Out of interest, given that pretty much everyone appears to be unhappy with SCGB reporting, why on earth do you continue to use it. Please don't hit me with "national ski club" - it isn't.

The SCGB portrays itself as the 'National Club' and this contributes to it's ability to resell it's information with a result that this appears on various other websites and media outlets (online and traditional).

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.16hrs on Mon 30 Dec 13
Yes you have hit the nail on head their Alan. They believe that they are the national club but don't act like one.

Brozo

Date Posted: 19.23hrs on Mon 30 Dec 13
99.9% of SCGB members

Date Posted: 22.38hrs on Mon 30 Dec 13
David Goldsmith Wrote:
denfinella Wrote:
Yeah, we all know that the SCGB don't report at the weekend. All the snow reports are timestamped with "27 Dec 2013 13:30"... so they're accurate.

Friday's snow overview for Scotland was fairly detailed and pretty accurate too.

---

So, the reports were useful for a few people who might have chosen to ski (or not) last Friday afternoon, having made a decision after 13.30.

It's now after 11.00 on Monday, and the SCGB reports still state that Cairngorm and Glencoe are closed (3 days later). For the record, both ski centres (and the other 3 Scottish ski centres) were open all weekend, and all are open this morning. Glencoe has 4 out of 7 lifts open. Cairngorm has 8 out of 11 lifts open.

I don't think the SCGB aims to provide readers with such up-to-date info that they can go and visit the resort on the same day as the report. As others have said, other sites are more useful for conditions in a specific resort (e.g. Cairngorm). But I do find it useful for providing an overview on conditions across Europe / N. America.

For your second point... they don't update their reports until 1.30, so of course at 11am they're not going to be updated yet.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.15hrs on Mon 30 Dec 13
Brozo Wrote:
99.9% of SCGB members

After having been on some 20 Ski Freshtracks holidays now (for which you have to be a SCGB member) I can honestly say that you would be lucky if 1% of members I have met fitted that description. Not even the board member of Barclays I shared a room with in the 2* Hotel Aujon in Flaine could remotely be described as fitting that description.

But don't let your preconceived inverted snobbery get in the way of reality.

tim

Date Posted: 10.00hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
After having been the only 'brit' to place in the happy ending banked slalom in Flaine (Morillion) I can honestly say that the locals despise SCGB and the attitude it undoubtedly represents just as much as most of us here. That you attempt use a director of an institution famed for it's corruption, malpractice and general, well, banking (see also: financal terrorism) to somehow try and represent a good side of SCGB says it all really.

ty for the shot Brozo, made me chuckle

DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 11.33hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
I actually agree with Jabuzzard here. I was in Tignes two weeks ago and met a few SCGB members by chance. One of the party I was in was actually a member. They were all very personable people but utterly clueless about skiing in Scotland.

The clear mentality amongst SCGB members is indicative of a wider mentality. "Scotland" was referred to as a simple package. A word which can simply be used to describe the entire area. Much as one might refer to "Humberside".

This is not about people. Clearly, SCGB, no matter what they say, are not representative of snowsports in Scotland and speak for their members only. They don't have many members, proportionately, in Scotland and are dominated by people from England. There is no problem with that at all but it isn't representative.

My suggestion is that SCGB gives up on conditions reporting in Scotland and just refers people to this website and the ski centres.

Facebook is ten times more important than SCGB for the skier in Scotland.

Nude_Model

Last Visited: 09:39
26th Jan 2014
Date Posted: 12.42hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
Brozo Wrote:
99.9% of SCGB members

where do I get one of these jackets?

tim

Date Posted: 13.34hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
"SCGB members....utterly clueless about skiing in Scotland." (by and large) yes, and so as long as Scotland is part of GB the club (and by extension, its members) is misrepresenting Scottish snowsports (or rather skiing, as snobwoarding, the other primary snowsport, isn't catered for). I certainly agree that giving up on Scotish condition reporting would be a start. Perhaps changing the name to Ski Club of England would help too (although I guess that would have its own problems - namely the unionist Scots members, whatever small percentage that is).

The problem I have is the misrepresentation of UK/GB snowsports. Clearly (to me) this should centre on Scotland, it does not, and I have no problem opposing any and every organisation that imagines that UK snowsports are rooted anywhere other than the Scottish highlands (so at present that would be just about every UK snowsports institution/organisation going... SCGB leading the pack). To be fair to some of them they are probably trying to be inclusive - they don't want to call themselves English because they welcome the Scots (and Welsh, and N Irish), fair enough, but regardless they can never accurately represent the core of Scottish snowsports from London, Bath or Brighton.

Independence, regardless of other political issues, would certainly sort out this problem. For one thing any funding avaialble for Scottish snowsports would come direct from a Scottish governemnt, not via some convoluted route via London (my understanding is that this has impoved in recent years but the at it's core is still the same... handouts from London). At present, for many, there is no 'national team' to aspire to, plenty would not even consider representing Britain any more than many Scottish footballers would consider playing for England.

Just as I observed some wistful young snowboarders gazing with inspiration at the snowboard patrol in Glenshee on Sunday - just realising for the first time that they could be both snowboarders and patrollers - having role models that you really identify with is but one factor.

Lesley McKenna would, I suspect, rather have represented Scotland than GB given the choice (going by the distain for 'Team GB' expressed on her blog). Ben Kilner who will be in Sochi in a few weeks time, well I'm not sure what if any stance he would take (not that he would be allowed to express it given the contractual obligations that come with the privelidge of donning a union jack tracksuit) but they would both certainly provide more inspiration to the rather large % of scots (old and young) who like Andy Murray but were never fans of Tim Henman, were they riding for Scotland rather than Team GB. How do you get involved with GB team snowboarding at present? You go to the alps and enter 'the brits' (check the results which are categorised by nation to see how under-represented Scotland is)... Scottish events/results/riders who don't/won't/can't travel to the alps don't get so much as a passing glance. Going by 'the brits' alone one would assume that UK snowsports is English-centric, which clearly it is not, at a grassroots and fundemantal level.

True, the failure of the Scottish scene to have it's own distinct identity, magazines etc cannot be blamed on England or GB, but the rejection of 'UK' snowsports institutions like SCGB is no coincidence, it comes from the deeply rooted inequality that Scotland faces as part of the UK snowsports scene, a perverse situation given that (almost) all the real-snow UK-based snowsports are in Scotland alone.

Rant over smiling smiley

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 13.51hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
As a Londoner who's spent as much time on Scottish slopes as those of Europe and America, I'd stress that there's a sizeable number of Englanders who take Scottish mountains and Scottish skiing very seriously, who love the unique nature of skiing in the Highlands and the communities of skiers on the hills.

WTF Ski Club - founded in Aviemore by Alan Mackenzie - is Facebook-based and 400+ strong. A good mix of Scottish, English, Welsh and overseas members ...

[www.facebook.com]

Click 'Photos'.

moffatross

Date Posted: 17.42hrs on Tue 31 Dec 13
No point kidding ourselves. Skiing in Scotland is pretty irrelevant to the average Brit skier so it's barely on their radar. I think the SCGB forum is members only and I've no idea if they have similar posts there but if you look at the annual read count for the snow reports threads on snowheads at the end of each season, the 'Scotland' one which covers all our ski centres and backcountry attracts less than a quarter of the attention the Val D'Isere one does by itself, let alone all the other Alpine resort threads.

[snowheads.com]?

There're also a whole load of people in Scotland and the north of England who are within easy day tripping distance but will never be interested because they're also average Brit skiers who want Alpine resort convenience and all the trimmings that Scotland obviously can't deliver. Most plan their trips weeks or months ahead and have as much or maybe even more interest in the apres ski and the mountain restaurants than snow depths.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 21.12hrs Tue 31 Dec 13 by moffatross.

DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.13hrs on Thu 2 Jan 14
Post of the year so far Tim. +1

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 22.56hrs on Wed 29 Jan 14
So what snow depths are they reporting for Scotland for this week.

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 09.49hrs on Thu 30 Jan 14
This is the SCGB report for Scotland this morning:

Reports for the 5 ski areas are here, clickable through to individual reports ... but it should be made clearer in the summary that the info. is from yesterday ...
[www.skiclub.co.uk]

A click through to ski-scotland is now given.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 09.55hrs Thu 30 Jan 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Scotland 30 Jan.JPG (60kB)  
Current Page:18 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: