You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:19 of 29
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 16.39hrs on Thu 30 Jan 14
One other passing matter, which I posted to WTF Ski Club (Aviemore-London etc.) earlier today.

Given that the SCGB has been in the business of publishing yearbooks and magazines since 1905 (with 'Ski+Board' under the same editorial direction for 12 years) ... this is quite a significant bit of news ...

More news: [www.facebook.com]

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 16.42hrs Thu 30 Jan 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: Ski board 30 Jan.JPG (34kB)  
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.02hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

The Ski Club of Great Britain expelled me from membership (for telling the truth) last September, so ... a big fat kiss to them. My membership originates from 1962, so it's been a long affair.

This morning the SCGB once again demonstrates its love of Scottish (i.e. British native) skiing by reporting 3 out of 5 Scottish ski centres closed. In fact, they're all open. It's now 11am. You'd think the SCGB staff (28 strong at the last count) could have spent 5 minutes updating their information in the morning, for the benefit of those heading for the hills ... but no.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.04hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
The SCGB data this morning, with no links to accurate information on the Ski Visit Scotland site or this site ...

Click on the attachment below for the full data.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 11.12hrs Sun 23 Feb 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Scotland 14 Feb.JPG (62kB)  
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.35hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
SCGB in it's remote outpost miles from the skiing can't get much right on this front. Thanks for bring this to my attention.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 00.21hrs on Fri 21 Feb 14
The SAIS dug their test pit on the area between the natural bowl of the Flypaper and the Spring Run on Meall a' Bhuiridh today - the total measured snow depth at the site was 1040cm.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 10.57hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
SCGB Scottish data this morning at 11am - "the best snow reports online" - reporting Glencoe and Nevis Range "closed". But they're both open, with 6 and 8 lifts running respectively.
Reporting Cairngorm with one lift running - 6 lifts are, in fact, running.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 10.59hrs Mon 10 Mar 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB data 10 Mar.JPG (165kB)  
pinhead27

Last Visited: 10:03
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.03hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
Give it a rest!

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.03hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
David Goldsmith Wrote:
SCGB Scottish data this morning at 11am - "the best snow reports online" - reporting Glencoe and Nevis Range "closed". But they're both open, with 6 and 8 lifts running respectively.

Which bit of weekday updates at around 13:00 hours do you not understand?

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 15.37hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
This is the latest from SCGB news on snow-forecast...seems fairly accurate to me.
"SCOTLAND Most of our featured Scottish resorts were open for skiing on Monday 10th March, offering spring conditions on all but the highest runs. Cairngorm (150/300cm) received a few centimetres of fresh snow overnight on Sunday 9th March but Monday 10th was a dry and cloudy day on the whole. There's still plenty of snow across the mountain but certain areas of off piste have less of a base than others. It's a similar story at Glencoe (205/490cm). They've still got loads of snow, particularly higher up and you can still ski virtually anywhere. Lower slopes were a bit soft and wet on Monday but fresh snow higher up means the runs are skiing very well.A mild but generally sunny and dry week is expected, which should finally allow people to enjoy all the snow properly for a period of time."

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 16.34hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
Clearly "the best snow reports online" ...

... cannot simply shut down for 3 days out of 7 ... only to declare Scottish ski resorts "closed" all Monday morning when they're actually open (but more importantly, be potentially equally inaccurate all weekend) ... based on information which may have been correct on the previous Friday at 1pm. [Of course, the situation on Friday at 1pm might by chance be the same on Saturday morning, Sunday morning and Monday morning - and pigs might fly daily (especially at weekends) over Scottish summits]

It is utter nonsense ... and to answer your perfectly fair question, jabuzzard ... "I don't understand any of it".

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 16.43hrs Mon 10 Mar 14 by David Goldsmith.

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 17.24hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
pinhead27 Wrote:
Give it a rest!

I am pretty sure when you see an update from David G its not going to be an update that the website is now being updated real time smiling smiley but more examples of how inadequate it is sad smiley

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.40hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
This Pish is almost as painful as the after effects of getting a broken Tooth out at the Dentist today !!!!

Has your Dog been taken into care Mr Goldsmith ?

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.46hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
David Goldsmith Wrote:
Clearly "the best snow reports online" ...

... cannot simply shut down for 3 days out of 7

Why not? Few sites on the internet have such a wide ranging set of reports. Given the limitations of a weekday updated at around 13:00 they are very good. It is just unfortunate that in Scotland the conditions change so fast so frequently that reporting in this format does not work as well.

However yes clearly you are utterly incapable of understanding that the SCGB website is updated on set times and is a snapshot of conditions at that point in time. As such you spend a great deal of time railing against it's alleged inaccuracies as you perceive it.

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 22.01hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
how often are the non Scotland areas updated?

GlensheeMike

Last Visited: 19:13
15th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 22.36hrs on Mon 10 Mar 14
Well, I follow this thread with interest as it has certainly put me off any thought of joining SCGB. What would the point of that be?
However, I am surprised to see they were reporting Nevis and Glencoe closed at 1 pm on Friday. Was that really the case? It's not very helpful if that's what was shown for those two from then until Monday afternoon. In fact, I think I'm with David G on this.

Current Page:19 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: