You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:23 of 29
DonnieC

Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 22.30hrs on Sun 14 Dec 14
David, you're getting as bit obsessed with this. Time to walk away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.

benim83n

Last Visited: 12:13
17th Jul 2017
Date Posted: 23.19hrs on Sun 14 Dec 14
I can see your point donniec, but as David says this sort of thing, 'actively damages the economic interests of Scottish skiing'.
I know nothing about the GB Ski Club but it is outrageous that the only skiing it seems to care about lies outside of the British isles...

Lets hope they listen to you david....

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.29hrs on Mon 15 Dec 14
And so ... Monday morning ... another day of action on the Scottish slopes. 3 ski areas - Cairngorm, Lecht, Glenshee - open, with lifts running or about to run.

What is the SCGB saying today?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.30hrs Mon 15 Dec 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Scotland 15 Dec.JPG (75kB)  
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.01hrs on Mon 15 Dec 14
They still appear to have no idea and even less interest in home based snowsports. The rigid sticking to the fixed format for all reports also completely fails to grasp the difference in information required for day trips vs overseas holiday planning.

This issue has now been going on for 13 (YES THIRTEEN) seasons since the ski areas first raised serious concerns about the SCGB's inability to convey accurate and timely information about Scottish Snowspnorts areas.

Unfortunately they rank well for snow report related searches, which means their mis-information is potentially damaging.

paraffin

Date Posted: 19.11hrs on Mon 15 Dec 14
Hi David,
I agree with the issues your raise regarding underrepresentation with both BASI and SCGB. Your persistence is to be admired.

As Donnie C. suggests, You might want to consider changing your approach and put down the keyboard and stand back.
A lot of people have voted with their feet regards BASI & SCGB, Ski England etc.

Similar issues can be found whether it is the IOC, UCI, FIS, USADA, UEFA, BCU, SCA etc. etc. Only when threaten with being outed for some of their potentially unconstitutional (and in the worst cases criminal) activities do the blazer brigade feel complelled to spring into action. Yes you got it - self interest!

You can keep shaking the tree, but it will not stop the monkeys stealing the best fruit first.

Yours repectfully
Paraffin

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.17hrs Mon 15 Dec 14 by paraffin.

Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 11.20hrs on Tue 16 Dec 14
FWIW it doesn't even enter my head to look at SCGB for snow conditions at any resort, Scottish or otherwise, nor does it any of my friends.

Dunwerkin

Last Visited: 11:01
9th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 12.15hrs on Tue 16 Dec 14
David

A coupla posters on here have suggested you quit posting on this matter.

Please, I implore you, do NOT heed their "advice."

It is only through the likes of your postings that I, and, I suspect, many others, get to be aware of what is going on out there.

The Scottish media, i.e. the press or BBC, being the utter waste of space which they are, will definitely NOT enlighten us poor souls as to the truth of the matter!

paraffin

Date Posted: 19.52hrs on Tue 16 Dec 14
Hi dunwerkin, not suggesting DG stops posting to keep us all informed. What information DG provides is valuable.
It is time to perhaps consider trying a different approach when facing up to the self serving officals.
DGs approach reminds me of the persistent TV reporter armed with a only a microphone going door stepping some rogue businessman. You know it is only going to end up with the door being slammed in their face or more entertainly the reporter getting banjoed.
Like I say, the approach you adopt determines your outcome.

handyman

Date Posted: 10.22hrs on Mon 22 Dec 14
SCGB not doing a very good job on European snow reporting too. Today 22nd December and their last snow report update on "France Overview" is 18 December, This at a time when those going off to ski over Christmas want as much up todate info as possible given the lack of snow there.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.42hrs on Mon 22 Dec 14
David, Ski Scotland continues to have really positive communication with SCGB and we are moving towards having the level of reporting that we would like to see. In the interim there are some new graphics for people to click on to get the very latest snow condition information direct from the Ski Scotland website.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.48hrs on Mon 22 Dec 14
Thanks for that update, igloo4you, and developments are awaited.

For the record, this is the Scottish ski situation this Monday morning (for direct comparison with the chart a week ago, above) ... according to the SCGB. Again, this information actually appears to have been filed last Friday at 13.00 ... and, once again, one wonders why it is beyond the resources of the national (in the UK sense) skiers' organisation to do any updates for Saturday, Sunday or Monday mornings ...

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 11.51hrs Mon 22 Dec 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Scotland 22 Dec.JPG (72kB)  
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 12.20hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
And so ... into 2015 ... what has the Ski Club of Great Britain resolved to do about its Scottish snow reporting?
This is the picture, according to the SCGB, today Saturday 3 Jan at 12 noon ...

And this is the current picture according to Winterhighland ...

Cairngorm: 4 lifts open
Glencoe: 5 lifts open
Glenshee: Closed
The Lecht: 6 lifts open
Nevis Range: 6 lifts open

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 12.27hrs Sat 3 Jan 15 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Scotland 3 Jan.JPG (55kB)  
Dunwerkin

Last Visited: 11:01
9th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 14.20hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
Its just an utter utter farce!

Only in Scotland would they get away with it.....

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 14.26hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
Also, where The Lecht "piste quality" is recorded by the SCGB (perhaps as noted by them yesterday at 13.00, perhaps not) as "rocky" ...

... the description given by The Lecht this morning on Facebook was "Some fresh snow on runs, very thin at the top hard packed underneath icy in places. tows operating. Robin, Wren, Chair and Kestrel".

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.26hrs Sat 3 Jan 15 by David Goldsmith.

WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.27hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
I think you are right Dunwerkin - A European ski area's publicity department would be all over this if consistently false information was being published.

What are the operators of the Highland ski areas doing about this...?

It cannot be right that an organization is allowed to put in public, what are falsehoods* - essentially saying that a business is closed.

* I would call it a lie, but lying generally means a deliberate attempt. Is this deliberate? If the ski-club does not know about the state of the slopes, and prints that they are closed, that IS a lie. They have invented information. They should print "no information available, see WinterHighland (or some such site) insted. If they have false information that they are closed - where is that information coming from?

Current Page:23 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: