You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:24 of 29
Dunwerkin

Last Visited: 11:01
9th Nov 2018
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 14.58hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
Youve got a point, Weesam. What ARE the local ski areas doing about this misinformation being spread about them, if ANYTHING???

Prob nowt, as usual!

Thats where we, as a nation, ALWAYS fall down- we are so supine and timid, we let all and sundry p##s all over us, and meekly accept it! Another example being the bbc weather forecast charts showing our country as being 50% of its true size,sublimely asserting our insignificance, and yet we apoarently can do nowt to stop it!

Only in Scotland.....
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 15.19hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
I've heard that there was no updates to European reports either following the big snow falls pre-Christmas either as the SCGB had a Christmas shutdown for around a week - is anyone able to confirm this?

As for the Ski Areas pursuing the matter, CML first raised the issue of the SCGB's reports as far back as winter 2002 when they were also feed to the ITV teletext service and weeks after the season had started the Scottish Resorts were all listed as not yet open for the season.

We actually got in touch directly with ITV Teletext offering to provide alternative source of Scottish Reports - this was followed up by a series of extremely rude and aggressive phone calls from the SCGB. When we got back in touch with ITV Teletext as to why communications had ceased, we were told this was a matter for the SCGB and following Teletext's discussion with the SCGB there would be no further communications with ourselves as the SCGB were the definitive information source in the UK for skiing!!

Neither their behaviour nor their reporting have improved any over the past 13 years.

PS. Hi Pippin, Happy New Year to everyone at Club HQ.
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 15.20hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
I'd stress that I'm a Londoner (and one-time Cairngorm ski instructor 1974-6) ...

... but I'm as sick and tired of this as anyone north of the border. The fact that the SCGB is run by a well-paid Scotsman (Frank McCusker), who has apparently made a journey to Scotland supposedly to sort out the Club's arrogant attitude to Scottish skiing, makes this situation all the more incredible.

How much SCGB staff time is required, per weekend, to compile accurate Scottish skiing updates on a daily basis? We know by now that skiers simply want daily information at - say - 7am, with a later update for those thinking of making a dash for the later morning or afternoon skiing.

It should be stressed that the Ski Club of Great Britain was - understandably - founded largely on the Scottish mountains from 1903. They were the mountains most readily accessible to the Edwardian skier, since the railways were well-established and international air travel didn't exist.

Frank McCusker has had 2.5 years to respond to this thread but has remained entirely silent. No response is really needed, apart from action.
Dunwerkin

9th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 17.28hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
David
Do theScottish clubs pay monies into the coffers of the scgb?
Peter Thorn

Last Visited: 09:17
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.26hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
Alan,

I would suggest that Snowsport Scotland should take this up on behalf of Scottish skiers. Whatever people might think about the value of Snowsport Scotland they are the governing body of competitive skiing in Scotland.

However as a Nordic skier I rarely use the downhill centres but if I need to find out about conditions I know where to go to get reliable reports. I certainly wouldn't go to SCGB.

Peter
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.52hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
Dunwerkin Wrote:
David
Do theScottish clubs pay monies into the coffers of the scgb?

Nope. Scottish Clubs tend to affiliate to Snowsport Scotland or have connections with the SSC.
Dunwerkin

9th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 22.39hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
Nope. Scottish Clubs tend to affiliate to Snowsport Scotland or have connections with the SSC"

So, by what right do this tinpot (dis) organisation have in styling themselves "ski club of GREAT BRITAIN" when 95% of the ski clubs in these islands, clearly wish to have no truck with them??
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.46hrs on Mon 5 Jan 15
Dunwerkin Wrote:
So, by what right do this tinpot (dis) organisation have in styling themselves "ski club of GREAT BRITAIN" when 95% of the ski clubs in these islands, clearly wish to have no truck with them??

Because they existed before these other clubs, their membership is open to anyone in Great Britain, they have more members in the U.K. than any other snowsports club, they even have more members in Scotland than the Scottish Ski Club does on the figures I can find. There are also other historical reasons.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of petty racist anti-English sentiment or a prejudiced and incorrect view that all the members of the SCGB are London dwelling toffs.

The reality is that all the Ski Club of Great Britain's snow reporting for all resorts around the world is only updated Monday to Friday at around 13:00-14:00. It's a consistent methodology, the staff are not paid to make updates during the weekend. There is no rabid anti-Scottish ski centre plot as David would have you believe. That conditions change faster in Scotland than other places is unfortunate. One imagines that where the SCGB to offer preferential treatment to Scottish Ski Centres then other resorts around the world would demand weekend updates and the SCGB is simply not resourced to do that.

I would also point out that more people in Scotland ski abroad than ski in Scotland in an average year on the figures I can find.

Oh and finally the last time I looked a large part of the Scottish Ski Club seemed to be around ski racing which is irrelevant to 99% of skiers and boarders, and organizing an annual holiday to the Alps; so much for supporting Scottish skiing.

I live in Scotland and I ski in Scotland as well as abroad and frankly the SCGB has far more relevance than the Scottish Ski Club to me.

Dunwerkin

9th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 22.18hrs on Mon 5 Jan 15
jabuzzard wrote

I ski in Scotland as well as abroad and frankly the SCGB has far more relevance than the Scottish Ski Club to me."

So Jabby-a tinpot organisation which constantly reports Scottish resorts as being closed when , in fact, they are actually open, is…… "relevant??????

Words fail me……...

Hahahahaha!

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 00.01hrs on Tue 6 Jan 15
jabuzzard Wrote:

The reality is that all the Ski Club of Great Britain's snow reporting for all resorts around the world is only updated Monday to Friday at around 13:00-14:00.

If that's the case, how come I found 23 reports yesterday from SCGB reps, each filed at 17.00 on Sunday? They file info. daily, once the ski day is over, don't they?
Admittedly 10 of those 23 reports yesterday said exactly the same thing for 10 different resorts ...
"The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
... which is always extremely helpful to know.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.41hrs on Tue 6 Jan 15
jabuzzard Wrote:
Dunwerkin Wrote:

Because they existed before these other clubs, their membership is open to anyone in Great Britain, they have more members in the U.K. than any other snowsports club, they even have more members in Scotland than the Scottish Ski Club does on the figures I can find. There are also other historical reasons.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of petty racist anti-English sentiment or a prejudiced and incorrect view that all the members of the SCGB are London dwelling toffs.

The reality is that all the Ski Club of Great Britain's snow reporting for all resorts around the world is only updated Monday to Friday at around 13:00-14:00. It's a consistent methodology, the staff are not paid to make updates during the weekend. There is no rabid anti-Scottish ski centre plot as David would have you believe. That conditions change faster in Scotland than other places is unfortunate. One imagines that where the SCGB to offer preferential treatment to Scottish Ski Centres then other resorts around the world would demand weekend updates and the SCGB is simply not resourced to do that.

I would also point out that more people in Scotland ski abroad than ski in Scotland in an average year on the figures I can find.

Oh and finally the last time I looked a large part of the Scottish Ski Club seemed to be around ski racing which is irrelevant to 99% of skiers and boarders, and organizing an annual holiday to the Alps; so much for supporting Scottish skiing.

I live in Scotland and I ski in Scotland as well as abroad and frankly the SCGB has far more relevance than the Scottish Ski Club to me.

What drivel. Don't allow facts to cloud your judgment though.

I don't disagree with you re racing and the SSC and they are facing a timebomb with old membership and less relevance but they aren't attempting to report on ski conditions.

Whilst you might imagine this is about racism, with zero evidence, it's actually about one organisation getting things wrong, all of the time nearly.

Both are irrelevant to me but the SSC has more relevance as I can use their hut.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.07hrs on Tue 6 Jan 15
DonaldM Wrote:

So the fact that the SCGB where founded first is drivel? The fact that they are the largest snowsports club in the U.K. is drivel? The fact that they are the largest snowsports club in Scotland is drivel?

jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.12hrs on Tue 6 Jan 15
Dunwerkin Wrote:
So Jabby-a tinpot organisation which constantly reports Scottish resorts as being closed when , in fact, they are actually open, is…… "relevant??????

Nothing like using pejorative language to make your point. On what basis are the SCGB tinpot? Actual facts required to backup that position.

Yes they are more relevant because like the vast majority of snowsports enthusiasts in Scotland I also partake in snowsports outside the U.K. as well, where they are wildly more relevant than any other snowsports club in the U.K.

I have never used the SCGB snow reporting for Scotland in decades, what is says is of no consequence really.
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 16.09hrs on Tue 6 Jan 15
jabuzzard Wrote:
DonaldM Wrote:

So the fact that the SCGB where founded first is drivel? The fact that they are the largest snowsports club in the U.K. is drivel? The fact that they are the largest snowsports club in Scotland is drivel?

No, the drivel I was referring to was you idea of racism being a factor against SCGB. That is pure drivel.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 17.53hrs on Tue 6 Jan 15
Having a large number of members does not necessarily mean relevance or being "definitive".

Many are members just to get the magazine and discounts. I would suggest that most do not regard the SCGB as their representative organisation. The proportion of members that take advantage of SCGB trips, go to London based social events, or utilise their reps is a very small proportion of this vast membership.
Current Page:24 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: