You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:26 of 29
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 17.41hrs on Sun 11 Jan 15
Such true words...but don't worry NR are going to change things round at Cairngorm !! Errr it's not happening ?

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 20.31hrs on Sun 11 Jan 15
WeeSam Wrote:
If the ski club are not interested in providing this, then the least they could do is to stop providing innacurate information, and instead provide no information at all, and forward enquiries to a site like this, that is run by people who "love" skiing at home and WANT to provide a decent service.

Yes, that point's been made repeatedly over the 2.5 years of this thread. But the SCGB appears to have no aspirations for improved snow reporting. A week ago, 10 out of 23 ski resorts served by SCGB reps ('leaders' or 'ambassadors') had identical one-line snow reports for the general public:

"The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes"
[snowheads.com]

Maybe that wording would also work for Scottish ski areas ... every day of the winter.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 22.26hrs on Mon 12 Jan 15
Maybe that wording would also work for Scottish ski areas ... every day of the winter.

Not everyday, it's not that unusual to have the best conditions on the lower slopes here! tongue sticking out smiley

tim

Date Posted: 03.29hrs on Tue 13 Jan 15
Quote:
tim Wrote:
get a grip (LOL) it was you who brought up nationalism :roll eyes:

WeeSam Wrote:

How? by quoting and replying to a previous post?

Right enough you weren't the first to bring it up, your partner in ermine Jabuzzard seems to have that accolade (at least on that page!) but you did abusively post:

WeeSam Wrote:
"Is there no depth to the pettyness one can sink? How is it possible to shoehorn nationalism into every crevice?

Get a grip for fcks sake."

I'd say that's bringing up 'nationalism'.

WeeSam Wrote:
Bringing the BNP and EDL into this (which is just bizarre) suggests that you are a insecure in your own indentity

BNP, EDL, UKIP and their ilk are what nationalism looks like in the UK. Sure, the term 'civic nationalism' has been getting bandied about a lot with regard to Scotland, (although largely not by the likes of you who seek to smear and abuse those advocating for Scottish independence) but the reality of the Scottish government (and the bulk of the independence-istas) is a rather more INTERnationalist position than that offered by the 4 colours of the tory party in Westminster.

Clearly growwild was making a light hearted comment. You chose to jump in with smear and abuse. I'm setting you straight, but please do feel free to tell us how you figure i'm insecure in my "indentity", i'm all ears.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 13.08hrs on Sat 17 Jan 15
SATURDAY 17 JANUARY ... 13.00 ... ALL SCOTTISH SKI AREAS OPEN

The Ski Club of Great Britain - which claims "The Ski Club’s snow reports are the best online" - is currently reporting 4 Scottish areas "Closed".

THEY ARE ALL OPEN, with big new snow ... operations crews having worked for days to get these ski areas open after this week's storms. Ski conditions are brilliant, with runs at Glencoe (for instance) including the rare opportunity to ski to the base station at 1200ft.

This is the current information from Winterhighland:

CAIRNGORM 5 lifts open, 3 opening
GLENCOE 4 lifts open, 1 opening
GLENSHEE 9 lifts open, 3 opening
THE LECHT 10 lifts open, 1 opening
NEVIS RANGE 7 lifts open

THE WRONG INFORMATION:

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 13.12hrs Sat 17 Jan 15 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Scotland 17 Jan.JPG (92kB)  
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 12.34hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
MONDAY 19 JANUARY ... 12.30 ...ALL SCOTTISH SKI AREAS OPEN

The ski areas' words for today's conditions: "excellent" (Cairngorm), "fantastic" (Glencoe), "lovely" (Nevis), "powder" (Lecht), "near perfect" (Glenshee).

SCGB Friday information continues [4 out of 5 areas "closed", with "limited" off piste]. Incorrect for 3rd day running.

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 16.08hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15

Winterhighlanders should bombard the SCGB with phone calls demanding that this issue should be resolved. They are a disgrace.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.10hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
Dunc Wrote:

Winterhighlanders should bombard the SCGB with phone calls demanding that this issue should be resolved. They are a disgrace.

Abusive telephone language from Scottish skiers to the SCGB is actually one of the problems. In January 2008 for example the SCGB put out an article on their website about great skiing conditions at Glencoe, with the proviso that there was a lot of queuing and best to take your own skies/board if at all possible. It was a weekend rather like the one just gone. The SCGB staff where verbally abused by members of the public for the report because it was not a 100% rosy picture.

I can attest firstly the queuing that Saturday was appalling and ski hire had notices up about lack of kit, I know I was their I even have the photographic evidence to prove it. Basically the report of the SCGB was wholly accurate. The abuse of SCGB staff members I got from Gerry Aitken who was at the time a SCGB director (a voluntary position within the club) and was leading a Ski Freshtracks holiday that I was on.

Oh and for the record just to burst the bubble of some of the members of this forum who have preconceived ideas about SCGB membership profiles. Gerry when not skiing is a tiler.

David Goldsmith seems to have some sort of vendetta against the SCGB and I note that at the moment (aka Monday afternoon) the snow reports for Scotland are entirely accurate.

Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.40hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
jabuzzard Wrote:
Dunc Wrote:

Abusive telephone language from Scottish skiers to the SCGB is actually one of the problems. In January 2008 for example the SCGB put out an article on their website about great skiing conditions at Glencoe, with the proviso that there was a lot of queuing and best to take your own skies/board if at all possible. It was a weekend rather like the one just gone. The SCGB staff where verbally abused by members of the public for the report because it was not a 100% rosy picture.

I can attest firstly the queuing that Saturday was appalling and ski hire had notices up about lack of kit, I know I was their I even have the photographic evidence to prove it. Basically the report of the SCGB was wholly accurate. The abuse of SCGB staff members I got from Gerry Aitken who was at the time a SCGB director (a voluntary position within the club) and was leading a Ski Freshtracks holiday that I was on.

Oh and for the record just to burst the bubble of some of the members of this forum who have preconceived ideas about SCGB membership profiles. Gerry when not skiing is a tiler.

David Goldsmith seems to have some sort of vendetta against the SCGB and I note that at the moment (aka Monday afternoon) the snow reports for Scotland are entirely accurate.

I didn't say anything about being abusive. That would clearly be counter-productive. Demanding something doesn't have to be abusive.

jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.22hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Dunc Wrote:

I didn't say anything about being abusive. That would clearly be counter-productive. Demanding something doesn't have to be abusive.

The problem is that certain people have done so in the past which has created a climate of hostility. I would suggest that random members of the public ringing up and demanding changes be made would be entirely counter productive at this stage. In addition there is a high probability that those ringing up would indeed be abusive, especially given the negative and inaccurate stereo types some members of this forum seem to have about the SCGB membership.

Further more the only people who can "demand" something be changed in a private members club are the members themselves. If you ain't a member shut up and put up. As I recall you are not a member so it's time to put up and shut up, or join.

Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.29hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
You have no idea whether I am a member or not. Anyway I'm not getting involved in a discussion with you. I just want, like many on here, SCGB to publish accurate information.

growwild

Date Posted: 20.28hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Lord Dredd Wrote:

The problem is that certain people have done so in the past which has created a climate of hostility.

So that's why yer clubs information can be said to be bollocks a lot of the time, cause yer aw in a wee cream puff over folk who were probably pretty posh phoning up to complain?

How many memberships would be needed to have an influence over decisions?

Life wont be same now that I know who tiles the queens bogs, my quest is over...

Hipennine

Date Posted: 21.20hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
jabuzzard Wrote:
Dunc Wrote:

The problem is that certain people have done so in the past which has created a climate of hostility. I would suggest that random members of the public ringing up and demanding changes be made would be entirely counter productive at this stage. In addition there is a high probability that those ringing up would indeed be abusive, especially given the negative and inaccurate stereo types some members of this forum seem to have about the SCGB membership.

Further more the only people who can "demand" something be changed in a private members club are the members themselves. If you ain't a member shut up and put up. As I recall you are not a member so it's time to put up and shut up, or join.

This would not be a problem if the SCGB info was confined to members, but it is fed to other orgs and websites with all of the fanfares that DG has previously alluded to.

jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.49hrs on Wed 21 Jan 15
Dunc Wrote:
You have no idea whether I am a member or not.

You have previously said they are irrelevant to you, so it would be entirely reasonable to presume you where not a member.

Anyway I'm not getting involved in a discussion with you. I just want, like many on here, SCGB to publish accurate information.

They do publish accurate information. The problem is that at some point later in time things change and it becomes inaccurate.

Like I said; want a private members club to change you need to join it first.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 12.30hrs on Wed 21 Jan 15
jabuzzard Wrote:
They do publish accurate information. The problem is that at some point later in time things change and it becomes inaccurate.

Like I said; want a private members club to change you need to join it first.

Two points (I write as a SCGB member who first joined in 1962, served on its Council, and was equipment/associate editor of its magazine for 10+ years) ...

1. Every time I copy/paste the SCGB Scottish snow information panel onto the Winterhighland page it speaks for itself. There is no time-dating or other indication that the information was only accurate at 13.00 on a Friday. Your point is made in good faith, but you're an expert in deciphering SCGB 'information'. I call it 'misinformation', because it carries no qualifying explanation.
The central question is why an organisation employing 25+ staff can't spend a few minutes on Saturdays and Sundays doing updates?

2. The SCGB is a private members club, but projects itself as "spokesbody of British skiers" and "voice of UK snowsports", so it has a public role. It's perfectly reasonable to subject the Skeeb to public scrutiny, on that basis.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.31hrs Wed 21 Jan 15 by David Goldsmith.

Current Page:26 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: