You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:28 of 29
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 15.02hrs on Thu 22 Jan 15
alan Wrote:
Just the other week a French court ruled that the SCGB wasn't a club but an 'English corporate structure'. The implication of that ruling is that the SCGB is a commercial interest masquerading behind the facade of a private members club.

Anything backed by the FSF is pure protectionism for the most part. I am sure if I was leading a bunch of friends around the ESF would want to prosecute me.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.21hrs Thu 22 Jan 15 by jabuzzard.
growwild

Date Posted: 16.00hrs on Fri 23 Jan 15
That was a fine uppercut by master Alan!
walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 09.36hrs on Sun 25 Jan 15
I find that jabuzzard's posts reinforce the idea that the SCGB is in a self important bubble.
steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.30hrs on Sun 25 Jan 15
A reasonable article about British skiing on the SCGB website.
[www.skiclub.co.uk]
shona

Last Visited: 20:25
26th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 16.42hrs on Mon 26 Jan 15
steelytail Wrote:
A reasronable article about British skiing on the SCGB website.

Interesring article indeed. When they mentioned the air port two hours from glen shee why did they not mention the international airport 50 mins from cairngorm and the sleeper from London to Aviemore. Met a young couple the other day that had taken the train after work on the Friday evening, skied Saturday, Sunday, Monday and took it back down againg ready for work Tuesday morning. They used the train as two nights accommodation and maximised their time on the slopes.

Anyways back to beer and watching the snow falling out of hotel window. Fresh tracks tomorrow smiling smiley

Graeme

Oops just noticed logged in as shona on her tablet, ill get a smack.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.44hrs Mon 26 Jan 15 by shona.
Freeheel

Last Visited: 12:20
22nd Dec 2016
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.13hrs on Mon 26 Jan 15
Yes Cally Sleeper is good and easy enough for Nevis Range too as I can testify. LoL......

A few beers at Euston, hunker down for the night and next thing you know you're getting served breakfast in The Highlands.grinning smiley

That's a wee bit off topic I know but I'm loving the debate on this thread, some brilliant and informative contributions and just keeps going and going! smiling smiley
walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 12.22hrs on Tue 27 Jan 15
Glencoe is 9 miles closer to Glasgow airport than glenshee is to Edinburgh. Th sleeper could get you to Nevis or cairngorm. The article is a good try, good to see, and I learned about English ski centres. If they'd got somebody with some familiarity with Scottish skiing to review it it could have been much better.
tim

Date Posted: 13.17hrs on Tue 27 Jan 15
WeeSam Blethered:
that exact post rambling about "Tories...Westminster...The BNP" (which has NOTHING to do with this subject, so why keep moaning about it?);

It was you who mentioned nationalism, remember? I wrote "the reality of the Scottish government (and the bulk of the independence-istas) is a rather more INTERnationalist position than that offered by the 4 colours of the tory party in Westminster." THat's the only mention of tories and westminster I made, if that sounds like moaning to you, you really should read some of the other threads on here!

describing people you have never met as "the likes of you" in a thread about snowpsorts says it all.... It's called in inferiority complex, you got it in spades.

I call bollocks. Still waiting for you to explain why I'm insecure in my "indentity", you can add explaining how calling out your abusive post, and setting you straight on what nationalism is brings you to the conclusion that I have an inferiority complex (inferior to what/whom, out of interest?).

You felt abused

No, I didn't.
Rockhopper

Last Visited: 17:07
27th Jul 2016
Date Posted: 14.23hrs on Tue 27 Jan 15
shona Wrote:
steelytail Wrote:
"A reasronable article about British skiing on the SCGB website.

Interesring article indeed. When they mentioned the air port two hours from glen shee why did they not mention the international airport 50 mins from cairngorm"

Also why didn't they mention Dundee Airport which is just over 1 hour from Glenshee? They have flights to/from Stansted and much less time spent hanging around for bags etc.

The article doesn't read like there was much in-depth research undertaken, surprisingly.
what...snow

Last Visited: 11:21
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.30hrs on Tue 27 Jan 15
The article doesn't read like there was much in-depth research undertaken, unsurprisingly.

FIFY
angry smileyangry smileyangry smiley

Neil
MartinT

Last Visited: 22:51
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.10hrs on Sun 29 Mar 15
Headline in today's Independent on Sunday snow report by the ski club is 'Hop to west Scotland or the Pyrenees for Easter skiing'..
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.07hrs on Wed 23 Mar 16
[another open letter]

Frank McCusker
Chief Executive
Ski Club of Great Britain

Dear Frank McCusker

News is reported this morning - apparently from a SCGB press release - that the Ski Club has "secured" 15,000 new members via a deal with a students' ski tour operator:

[www.travelmole.com]
[www.facebook.com]

A couple of obvious questions arise:

1. Are these 15,000 students paying the SCGB's standard subscription of £24 for under 24-year-olds?

2. Do these students obtain normal voting rights in controlling the Club?

3. Do these students gain a proportionate share of the Club's assets? [It's understood that the SCGB HQ building in Wimbledon, London, is to be sold or is on the market]\

Yours skicerely

David Goldsmith

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 11.35hrs Wed 23 Mar 16 by David Goldsmith.
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 07.57hrs on Thu 16 Jun 16
[another open letter!]

Frank McCusker
Chief Executive
Ski Club of Great Britain

Dear Frank McCusker

As we're approaching the 4th anniversary of your first day as Chief Executive of the Ski Club of GB, and given the recent news that the Club is selling its HQ building, I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to ask you about that ... and the 15,000 new student members of the SCGB (above) ... and any other aspects of the Club's development and future.

Concerning the clubhouse, it was reported on 1 June that "the Club has now accepted an offer in excess of the sale price" [£4 million] ... and "The Club is currently looking for more suitable premises in the local area [Wimbledon] but expects to remain at the White House until mid-2017."

[www.skiclub.co.uk]

As of this morning, the property continues to be advertised by agents TSP ...
[propertylink.estatesgazette.com]

One concern for many long-term British skiers will be the SCGB's library and archive. Will this be fully curated and managed in the new building?

If you'd care to comment on that point, the membership expansion, and other points raised in the letter of 2 July 2012, any response would be most welcome.

Regards

David Goldsmith

growwild

Date Posted: 13.33hrs on Thu 16 Jun 16
What a horrible looking building, only good thing going for it is that undercroft(posh twats) grow room....

I'll give them 50 euros for it after little Britain votes out of Europe, that should work out at around 4.5 million brit pounds if ya'll leave smiling smiley
paraffin

Date Posted: 21.46hrs on Thu 16 Jun 16
Loving this thread! 28 pages telling us all what we already know. One look at their current headquarters, especially image #6

[propertylink.estatesgazette.com]#

A display of more money than sense? Glad its not my money.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 21.51hrs Thu 16 Jun 16 by paraffin.
Current Page:28 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: