You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:3 of 29
STFU

Last Visited: 22:47
13th Jan 2013
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 00.25hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
I agree with you

The arrival of twitter and Facebook has made organised clubs redundant these days, many people just don't need them anymore

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 00.29hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
STFU Wrote:You've had three attempts at editing this and still you keep saying December instead of November!!!

Thanks very much for pointing that out. I'll edit it a fourth time!

STFU

Last Visited: 22:47
13th Jan 2013
Date Posted: 00.43hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
David Goldsmith Wrote:
STFU Wrote:You've had three attempts at editing this and still you keep saying December instead of November!!!

Thanks very much for pointing that out. I'll edit it a fourth time!

LOL, sorry if I came across a bit rude just then

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.31hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
IanF Wrote:
It looks more like general all-round sluggishness on the part of SCBG (rather than any anti-Scottish bias), as several (open) resorts in France are also showing 0cm snow and closed.

It is a fairly stupid letter, as David is quite well aware (or should be) that snow reporting has not started for the season. The same reason Cairngorm was not reported as being open at the end of last season because the clubs snow reporting had stopped.

I join because it is a condition of booking a Ski Freshtracks holiday.

dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 10.39hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
jabuzzard Wrote:
IanF Wrote:
It looks more like general all-round sluggishness on the part of SCBG (rather than any anti-Scottish bias), as several (open) resorts in France are also showing 0cm snow and closed.

It is a fairly stupid letter, as David is quite well aware (or should be) that snow reporting has not started for the season. The same reason Cairngorm was not reported as being open at the end of last season because the clubs snow reporting had stopped.

I join because it is a condition of booking a Ski Freshtracks holiday.

I disagree strongly - I've just been and looked and nowhere can i see does it say that the snow reports are not current or that they haven't started for the season. The cairngorm report still says that they are not open and that 0 of 12 lifts are running. So david (and you) may be well aware that snow reporting hasn't started, but the general visitor to the site won't be!

jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.47hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
dhorsley Wrote:
I disagree strongly - I've just been and looked and nowhere can i see does it say that the snow reports are not current or that they haven't started for the season. The cairngorm report still says that they are not open and that 0 of 12 lifts are running. So david (and you) may be well aware that snow reporting hasn't started, but the general visitor to the site won't be!

Snow reporting does not start till December and is only updated on weekdays. So this year 3rd of December would be the start date. Moaning about it on the 2nd which is a Sunday is worse that pointless it is counter productive as it will only go to reinforce the notion that reporting anything about Scottish skiing will unleash complaints from certain quarters, that sometimes involve abuse of SCGB staff members.

Anyway guess what checking today, the first weekday in December shows vaguely accurate stuff for Scottish resorts and the Scotland overview says that Cairngorm and Lecht are open. Snow depth reporting has the usual caveats however.

I took the opportunity when filling in this years feedback to ask for better reporting of Scottish snow depths winking smiley

I do however concede that it would be better if the SCGB snow conditions section of the website made it clear when reporting starts/stops. Though as pointed out elsewhere in this thread lots of European resorts where "allegedly" shut as well.

dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 16.00hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
jabuzzard Wrote:

Anyway guess what checking today, the first weekday in December shows vaguely accurate stuff for Scottish resorts and the Scotland overview says that Cairngorm and Lecht are open. Snow depth reporting has the usual caveats however.

I took the opportunity when filling in this years feedback to ask for better reporting of Scottish snow depths

I do however concede that it would be better if the SCGB snow conditions section of the website made it clear when reporting starts/stops. Though as pointed out elsewhere in this thread lots of European resorts where "allegedly" shut as well.

I checked today and it and it said cairngorm was closed and 0-12 lifts were running, the later isn't even true for the summer as the train would be running. I still say they should clear say when the reports run from otherwise they are feeding the public false information.

DaveA

Last Visited: 00:06
19th Jan 2015
Date Posted: 16.12hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
its weird that they seem to have more interest in the big european resorts just because most of their members ski there rather then up here.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 18.08hrs on Mon 3 Dec 12
As of 13.30, the SCGB is reporting these snow depths for the 5 resorts (lower/upper slopes):

Cairngorm 30cm/60cm
Glencoe 25cm/50cm
Glenshee 10cm/20cm
Lecht 20cm/40cm
Nevis 15cm/60cm

And these amounts of snowfall over the past 7 days:

Cairngorm 5cm
Glencoe 10cm
Glenshee 5cm
Lecht 10cm
Nevis 15cm

As before, it would appear that the first set of figures has not been obtained from the mountains. The second set of figures don't seem to be correct - they're much too low - the great bulk of the snow (particularly on the eastern ski areas) has fallen in the past 7 days. It's for those who've actually been on the hills to suggest what they think has fallen over the past week. The SAIS avalanche service will start measuring snow depths for next weekend, which will be interesting.

Is anyone else measuring snow depths at present?

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.53hrs on Tue 4 Dec 12
having hiked up at glenshee on sunday, 10cm as an average might be about right, but it's distributed more like 1cm - 50cm depending on where you are. I've long since decided that snow depth as a measure of snowsports quality is about as relevant as the SCGB......

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 12.52hrs on Tue 4 Dec 12
remote_patrol Wrote:
having hiked up at glenshee on sunday, 10cm as an average might be about right, but it's distributed more like 1cm - 50cm depending on where you are. I've long since decided that snow depth as a measure of snowsports quality is about as relevant as the SCGB......

+ 1

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 12.31hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Dear Frank McCusker

The Scottish ski season is well underway. 8 lifts are running on Cairngorm today, and the mountain apparently enjoyed a great weekend.
Here's the current SCGB report. See the panel bottom right - it's complete rubbish.

Skiers on Scottish mountains need daily early morning reports - ideally around 7am - which give up-to-the-minute prospects for the day ahead. These are available on Winterhighland, or from the resorts direct (and now via Facebook, Twitter etc), or on Ski-Scotland - which obtains its data direct from the mountains.

The SCGB continues to publish hopelessly out-of-date info, or snow depth info which is clearly 'made up' in the office. As a Ski Club member I take very strong objection to this - all the Club has to do is hyperlink from its website to the accurate sources and photo/video/observational reports from the mountains.

Please take this action. This well help restore the Club's reputation in Scotland!

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 12.42hrs Mon 17 Dec 12 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Cairngorm report 17.12.12.JPG (42kB)  
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
It's only updated Monday to Friday and the resort was indeed closed on the 14th. An hour later and it is saying "Good skiing/boarding throughout the area" with eight out of 12 lifts open.

Clearly there is a tension between the fact that the reports are updated sometime around lunch Monday to Friday which means they are always going to be "out of date" to a varying extent over the weekend and Monday morning.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Why not just abandon them and use the other sources of information? Winterhighland and the ski centres' sites are the best so no need for Team GB to help out.

-----------------------------------------------------------
For campervan hire in Scotland visit [www.albacampervans.com] - Bhanaichean Campachaidh ann an Alba

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.11hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Donald,

I wish it was simple as that but many of the other online reporting services pull there data from SCGB so if there information isn't correct it has a knock on affect. You are correct that most of our regular customers get there information from ski-scotland or winterhighland but people who normally ski abroad will often use these other reporting services. Under reporting of snow depths and erroneous information about whether the resorts are open or not could be affecting this important part of our market that we are trying to develop. At Glencoe we rarely see queues and our biggest challenge from one year to the next is attracting enough customers.

Current Page:3 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: