You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:4 of 29
alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: An open letter to the new CEO of the Ski Club of GB
Date Posted: 14.43hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
It's only updated Monday to Friday

Given the majority of snowsports participants do their sliding on Saturdays and Sundays, that makes the reports irrelevant and also unhelpful when resort closed info from one day is visible over four days (Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday morning).

The report format and update pattern is not suitable for home based skiers riding at home, this is old ground it's been gone over and over, again and again, but the SCGB wont budge from the single report format. The official reports from the Scottish Areas can be made available as XML - there should be a recognition by the club that a home based market requires a different information flow from those going overseas for a week or longer on holiday.

dj_colinbell

Last Visited: 12:45
16th Jan 2020
Date Posted: 15.10hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Could the ski resorts hold SCGB liable for lost earning due to their inacurate information?

Im taking that they reported Cairngorm to be closed all weekend when infact it was open.

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 15.43hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Yes, Cairngorm was reported "closed" due to "strong winds" on Friday p.m, Saturday all day, Sunday all day, and Monday a.m.

I doubt if the SCGB has any contractual obligation to the 5 ski areas concerning accuracy of information. However, I pay a £65 subscription to the Club and am not willing to put up with this rubbish and nonsense any longer. The Ski Club of Great Britain was largely created on Scottish mountains in its formative years from 1903, and this situation is absolutely ridiculous. As Alan says, the Club simply has to incorporate an automatic feed of data - or provide a few hyperlinks.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.58hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
How many SCGB members are there actually on WH? All we need to do is get enough together and we can "force" changes, it is a club after all.

Even just the threat of "organized action" might be sufficient to get change.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.01hrs Mon 17 Dec 12 by jabuzzard.

alan

10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 16.24hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Snow overview for Scotland
Monday 17 December 2012
Glenshee was hoping to open over the weekend but were unable to, due to unfavourable snow conditions. There are patches of good snow on the mountain but no complete runs at the moment. They await further snowfall.

The Nevis Range (15/60cm) opened over the weekend once again. The higher runs were quite windblown but there are plenty of areas of good snow. They were closed between Monday 17th December and Wednesday 19th December but from Thursday onwards they’ll be open for the season, snow permitting.

Firstly Glenshee did open on Saturday, though admittedly it was very limited compared to the other four areas (not sure what Glenshee has done to upset the snow gods).

They only mention the two areas that are not yet into daily operation, but do not mention the three areas that are open daily, with good early season riding and a fine forecast for Tuesday. Bizzare.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.25hrs Mon 17 Dec 12 by alan.

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.09hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
David, did you get a letter back from the CEO?

Just shows how dis/interested the Club is !

I will remember to display a similar quantity of interest when the "snowfields" of Kent and the centre of the metropolis of central "Londinium" experience their first life-changing flakes this winter !!!

davidt

Last Visited: 12:41
19th Apr 2020
Date Posted: 19.24hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Perhaps they could be sued for libel... or at least threatened with it.

David

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 19.51hrs on Mon 17 Dec 12
Gorminator, I've had numerous emails from the Club concerning the Scottish snow reports, which I won't bore you with ... but no response to the simple suggestion that skiclub.co.uk should link to this site and the other sites that give Scotland's skiers useful up-to-the-minute info.

The Club is at liberty to represent itself directly to this thread when specific points are raised.

I don't think the Club's location has any bearing on this. It's a question of attitude. With present-day electronics it would be possible to host a Scottish snow information site in Timbuktu. What matters is that the information flowing in, and being published, is correct ... or is just clickable to sites which can do a superior job.

jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.45hrs on Tue 18 Dec 12
Like I said before how many SCGB members are there on WH? A motion signed by a good number of members at the next AGM for starters is not unreasonable, if they won't play ball.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 14.23hrs on Sat 26 Jan 13
A little spot check on the SCGB's Scottish reports for today reveals - for Cairngorm ...

[www.skiclub.co.uk]

Cairngorm Mountain reports "great top to bottom snowsports. White Lady and M1 awesome ... blue skies overhead and breezy - wrap up warm. All uplift open apart from WWP and Day Lodge." 9 lifts are open today, according to the CML website.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 14.31hrs Sat 26 Jan 13 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: SCGB Cairngorm 26 Jan.JPG (13kB)  
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 16.14hrs on Sun 27 Jan 13

I know this is something you care about Dave and well done to you for your staying power. However, SCGB is of so little importance to me that I never think about it.

I think the SSC should be the national club for Scotland, equal to the SCGB.

-----------------------------------------------------------
For campervan hire in Scotland visit [www.albacampervans.com] - Bhanaichean Campachaidh ann an Alba

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 18.44hrs on Sun 27 Jan 13
I am guessing that most people based in Scotland get their condition updates from either the individual area websites or here. I think in the old Ceefax days I was more aware of the SCGB as they put up the info on the ski pages, but since the internet arrived and I moved to Scotland I can't say they cross my radar much either.

Is the ski industry up here interested in encouraging more people up from the southern half of this island to spend their moolah here? If they are, and I would have thought they would be, then surely they should be putting the pressure on the the SCGB to get it right. Still, these are not faceless multinationals. We all have an interest in keeping the ski areas up and running and income does that. Wherever it is from.

KW

Last Visited: 16:09
22nd Jan 2018
Date Posted: 21.54hrs on Sun 27 Jan 13
1 I am A Scot and as patriotic as most.

2 I ski (albeit badly)

3 My understanding is that the majority of skiers in the UK have the daft notion that they should spend their hard earned cash and even more precious time off going where each will deliver the best chance of guaranteed results.

4. Add up all the piste here and it doesn't amount to the total in huge percentage of single venues abroad.

5. Like the rest of us I have turned up at Scottish resorts to find lifts shut because of wind etc and to discover that the reporting on the conditions might be a bit of poetic licence.

That's why, one week a year, I ski abroad. The fantastic nosebag I get on the hill there helps a bit when it's not bluebird and is an absolute joy when it is. Friendly hotels which are a better standard and generally friendlier than those here are another bonus as are the buses, the lifts.....the list is just about endless.

But I still love skiing here.

On good days it's fantastic. But no matter how much I love it I would never book a week here.

The Ski Club caters for the majority.

In reality, to ski here, you have to love it as much as we do to keep the faith. Let's just make sure we continue to ski the Sottish hills and resorts.

alan

10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.07hrs on Sun 27 Jan 13
4. Add up all the piste here and it doesn't amount to the total in huge percentage of single venues abroad.

This is a huge misconception widely held as fact across the UK, because people are comparing here to only a small number of well known international mega resorts - they are the exception not the rule in the snowsports world.

Many a US ski resort, would kill for the vertical the Lecht has! tongue sticking out smiley

The point regarding the SCGB reports is that someone considering a day, weekend, few days, week or whatever skiing in Scotland that goes to Google to find ski reports, will likely find the SCGB ranked high up the list.

jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.08hrs on Sun 27 Jan 13
DonaldM Wrote:
I know this is something you care about Dave and well done to you for your staying
power. However, SCGB is of so little importance to me that I never think about it.

And as David knows the reports are not updated on a Saturday or Sunday. Cairngorm was indeed shut on Friday due to the wind. Expect the report to be updated sometime on Monday.

I think the SSC should be the national club for Scotland, equal to the SCGB.

Thing is firstly the SCGB came into existence *before* the SSC, and second by all accounts it actually has more members resident in Scotland than the SSC. Consequently it is de-facto the national club for Scotland as voted for by the people of Scotland who actually care enough to join a club.

I am not actually sure what the SSC does. I know there are some huts about at the various centres but I have never seen anyone in them. I have seen more effort in Scotland from the SCGB than SSC.

Current Page:4 of 29
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: