You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345
Current Page:5 of 5
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Re: Chairlift derails
Date Posted: 13.39hrs on Wed 20 Feb 13
geeo Wrote:
why dont you just wait 5 mins and let the relevant people do their jobs then we will get those answers, or do you prefer to stoke idle internet speculation based on a couple of webcam pics and hearsay.

I strongly disagree. It's in the best tradition of the internet - not least the Winterhighland community - that people form independent views on things, based on their own standards of evidence. We don't necessarily have to bow down to authorities and are at liberty to find our own answers.

There's a suggestion above that the lift will run again before there's a public explanation of what caused the incident. And other speculation. I think we can jointly agree that what matters is a clear analysis of what happened. We ride these lifts.

Skiing isn't unique, and this is a relatively minor matter in the general scope of things. Here's an example of internet rumour, speculation, information and gossip about the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which has been globally grounded for over a month ... at enormous cost ...

... 46 pages on the Professional Pilots Rumour Network (PRUNE) ...

[www.pprune.org]

It's not necessarily about "waiting 5 mins".

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.39hrs Wed 20 Feb 13 by David Goldsmith.

geeo

Last Visited: 20:04
7th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 15.44hrs on Wed 20 Feb 13
i dont think your standards are very high though so i wont listen to you

Alan can we have an ignore button please

HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.26hrs on Wed 20 Feb 13
I recall the waiting on inspection associated with the GS Baddoch Chair new installation. This tells me that the authorities will not allow a repair & restart of the chair without due process. If anything they will hinder progress rather than permit any shortcuts.

So I'm happy like Geeo let the people do their jobs. I would only be bothered if it restarted without public explanation of the cause.

That hasn't happened. So I'm not worried. Sure I'd like to know, but I can't just yet.

Re Dreamliner. It's like the Comet airliner. It was new & no service history. - These chairs are not such a case. They have long history. So it's not an intrinsically unsafe design. This much we do know. Whatever else may be learned.

daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 21.47hrs on Wed 20 Feb 13
I agree with Geo and HTH, apart from I would be happy to use the chair, even if i didnt know the cause of the accident. It wil be fixed, inspected and tested.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 12.13hrs on Thu 21 Feb 13
It won't come as huge surprise that this comes up on a Google search this morning. The story is behind a registration wall, but I've registered to try and find out what's reported.

I imagine that most people want to see the lift roll again - least of all The Lecht themselves - when the cause of the incident is fully understood. And not before.

I'd only add that I've been a paying customer at The Lecht, hugely enjoyed skiing there and view it as a brilliant set-up for bread-and-butter skiers. The owner Tosh struck me as a great guy, and all the staff I met were committed and really friendly.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.14hrs Thu 21 Feb 13 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: Lecht legal.JPG (21kB)  
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 11.24hrs on Sat 9 Mar 13
Looks like Tosh has removed the chairs.

Hope it only a temporary measure to help in the process of getting the lift running again.

alan

Last Visited: 22:07
16th Apr 2024
Date Posted: 11.55hrs on Sat 9 Mar 13
The cross arms are off the damaged tower as well, was lifted down a couple of days ago.

[edit] Actually just looked on the webcam and it's back up.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.57hrs Sat 9 Mar 13 by alan.

teleshred

Last Visited: 13:22
10th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 17.52hrs on Sat 9 Mar 13
The top section of the tower has now been replaced. The rope has been checked and some new bits (wheels etc) are coming from poma. It wont spin til its been checked and given the ok by the health and safety experts. Obviously want everything to be done properly but fingers crossed the whole process doesnt take forever

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 19.39hrs on Sat 9 Mar 13
A bit more context to this incident, via an article published today in The New York Times ...

[www.nytimes.com]

Quote:
Through early March, Vermont had three other chairlift deropements this season, according to the state’s Workers’ Compensation and Safety Division, and six in the past four seasons. No injuries were reported. In Colorado, the Department of Regulatory Agencies reported five deropements in the past five years, with no one hurt.

Not everyone is so fortunate. According to the National Ski Areas Association, a trade group, chairlift malfunctions in the United States have resulted in 12 deaths and 62 injuries since it began tracking those statistics in 1973.

The most recent deropement to cause injuries occurred two seasons ago, when eight people were hurt at Sugarloaf Mountain in Maine, the association said.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 15.43hrs on Mon 1 Jul 13
Four months later ... no news on the Lecht chairlift, except that the centre just posted this on Facebook ...

Quote:
Due to unforseen circumstances there is still no chairlift uplift for the Mountain biking and deval karts

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 09.21hrs on Sat 17 Aug 13
Going by the webcam it looks like Tosh has got the Chair up and running. Good Man.

EMCD11

Date Posted: 09.29hrs on Thu 28 Aug 14
Noticed BBC twitter states this morning "The HSE says it does not intend to recommend further action to the crown office over 2013 lecht ski lift accident that injured six people"

paulo

Last Visited: 21:31
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.43hrs on Thu 28 Aug 14
EMCD11 Wrote:
Noticed BBC twitter states this morning "The HSE says it does not intend to recommend further action to the crown office over 2013 lecht ski lift accident that injured six people"

More here :
[www.bbc.co.uk]

alan

Last Visited: 22:07
16th Apr 2024
Date Posted: 13.18hrs on Thu 28 Aug 14
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021