You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
smugmcsmugface

Last Visited: 13:43
29th Jan 2019
HSE to inspect all Scottish Ski Areas ?
Date Posted: 13.52hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
It's reassuring to know that Cairngorm has been now been inspected by HSE.

We should now be pushing for all Scottish ski areas to be inspected.

The public deserves to know that they are choosing a safe ski area wherever they go. Workers need to know that their work conditions meet the latest regulations and guidelines.

Alan has tirelessly taken on the quest to ensure standards at Cairngorm, we should follow his lead and push for industry-wide inspections.

ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Re: HSE to inspect all Scottish Ski Areas ?
Date Posted: 15.01hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
Hasn't glenshee closed some lifts in the past instead of running them in to the ground? I can remember that they said a few times "sorry we are not operating this lift, we could but it's unsafe".

paraffin

Date Posted: 16.46hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
smugmcsmugface Wrote:

“We should now be pushing for all Scottish ski areas to be inspected.
The public deserves to know that they are choosing a safe ski area wherever they go. Workers need to know that their work conditions meet the latest regulations and guidelines.”

Suggest you write to the HSE expressing your specific concerns. Based on your premise “that the public have a right to know” - If you get a response let us all know will you?
Otherwise keep your ill informed hysteria to yourself.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 16.51hrs Mon 21 Jan 19 by paraffin.
smugmcsmugface

29th Jan 2019
Date Posted: 16.53hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
paraffin,
please explain "ill-informed"?
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 16.55hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
Why stop at ski areas? heck lets investigate every company listed and operating in Scotland. After all the public deserves to know that they are choosing a safe *enter business sector here* wherever they go.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.13hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
smugmcsmugface Wrote: I was hoping for some discussion about the value of inspecting all the ski areas, please see original post...

Is there any evidence that the other ski areas are not carrying out the essential maintenance work that the independent engineer in their yearly inspections? In the absence of any such evidence there is no value in wasting the HSE's time on inspecting other ski areas.

Remember the HSE where notified because Cairngorm had over a period of several years failed to do the maintenance work highlighted as required by the independent inspector.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 17.14hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
It would be interesting to know (in the interests of public transparency) to know what CML's insurer's inspection reports have had to say on this matter in the years leading up to the HSE action. It would be normal for all of the ski ares to be subject to annual inspections by insurers.
paraffin

Date Posted: 17.57hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
smugmcsmugface Wrote:
paraffin,
please explain "ill-informed"?

If you read the posts coming through i.e. Jabuzzard’s you’ll get the idea about how ill-informed you are about the current role of HSE and Operators’ respective duties.
Hope that clears it up for you.

Edited 4 times. Last edit at 18.27hrs Mon 21 Jan 19 by paraffin.
smugmcsmugface

29th Jan 2019
Date Posted: 19.07hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
nope, you've not really answered my question.

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.18hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
You not doing Nightshift Smegface ?
tupp

Date Posted: 19.32hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
smugmcsmugface Wrote:
It's reassuring to know that Cairngorm has been now been inspected by HSE.

We should now be pushing for all Scottish ski areas to be inspected.

The public deserves to know that they are choosing a safe ski area wherever they go. Workers need to know that their work conditions meet the latest regulations and guidelines.

Alan has tirelessly taken on the quest to ensure standards at Cairngorm, we should follow his lead and push for industry-wide inspections.

You don't talk for me or anyone I know.........
smugmcsmugface

29th Jan 2019
Date Posted: 19.50hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
ah no Germinator, night off from tescos shelves tonight, what's on yourself?
growwild

Date Posted: 20.05hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
It's not reassuring tae know folk at cairngorm haven't being doing their job or really giving a shit..

I used tae think the both Alans here were on a wage fae cairngorm for the amount of folk they used tae try and send there via here , also thought they were blind tae what was happening up there and took 'fan boy to another level when they should have been getting torn in long before they took notice of what was going on...

For cairngorms tae turn some of their largest supporters against them says it all really..
ian kellet

Date Posted: 20.31hrs on Mon 21 Jan 19
I assume the regulations that operators of cairngorm have to comply with is the european ropeways directive
Geridiver

Last Visited: 23:02
6th Jan 2021
Date Posted: 12.06hrs on Tue 22 Jan 19
smugmcsmugface, or should it be snowymcsnowface, while as you say CM(S)L has been inspected by HSE the fact remains that if maintenance had been carried out as per the ADAC Structures reports and after it was then queried with HIE, then there would have been no problem with the operation of the tows, which are still out of action until 08/02/19, when according to HIE the improvement notices should be removed by HSE.
I am passing on your suggestion re the other Scottish ski areas to those concerned, however if you have specific concerns about any particular resort I suggest you contact HSE yourself.
As to the safety of skiers/ boarders, staff and the general public, I have to agree with you they do deserve to know that the area they go to is safe and no doubt Cairngorm will be giving that assurance when the improvement notices are lifted.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: