You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
DaveF

Last Visited: 23:37
18th Dec 2015
Cairngorm moguls
Date Posted: 19.55hrs on Tue 5 Mar 13
Not familiar enough with other Scottish resorts, but there was a time when moguls were a regular feature at Cairngorm particularly on the white lady, ciste and gun barrel. The superb pisting regime at Cairngorm means every lump and bump is now flattened out. While there is a lot of fun to be had blasting down well pisted runs, I miss the challenge and variety that skiing moguls brings. If moguls were to be reintroduced to Cairngorm where would be the best place? (Whole, part or side piste?) Could they be ‘manufactured’ or should they be allowed to form naturally? Any thoughts?
cammyammy

Last Visited: 21:43
8th Dec 2014
Re: Cairngorm moguls
Date Posted: 20.24hrs on Tue 5 Mar 13
There were some nice and fairly sizeable moguls on the tiger at glenshee on Sunday afternoon due to it being left unpisted and having been open so much this season.

Perhaps an unpisted line down the lady would achieve desired results. In my limited knowledge it would be the best place for it with the traffic it gets.
Jack

Date Posted: 20.30hrs on Tue 5 Mar 13
Would be great for a bumps line down the WL...Some guys put a big zip line down the west wall 2 or 3 yrs back during one of the big winters...
jelly2

Last Visited: 15:15
18th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.18hrs on Tue 5 Mar 13
Pre-funicular I remember a couple of chaps patiently generating a bump line from scratch on the lower section of the WL. Not very long or mega steep but by the time they'd finished they were very good, regular bumps. Rather than looping on the tow or chair they'd just walk back up to the start. Other places that used to be good for bumps are the lower section of the Tiger as it cuts back towards the chair, Glas Maol black next the tow all the way down, and Coire Fionn but I'm not sure how much the pisting/carving these days is stopping them building up.
glenogle

Last Visited: 23:25
1st Jun 2018
Date Posted: 00.31hrs on Wed 6 Mar 13
Always thought spring run at Glencoe was best for moguls, remember being stranded on top of one a few moons ago
WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 11.39hrs on Wed 6 Mar 13
I brought this up at the last season ticket holders meeting at the start of the season suggesting a machine width of the WL being left to its own devices or at least controlled when they get too large / misshaped. It gives a good run out on to a safe flat area when things get a bit too exciting! Some American resorts have a similar approach. Maybe if more voices are heard at the next meeting they might give it a go.

As for remembering the gun barrel moguls, the horrible massive ice fishtails that used to form there before machines, could you imagine the carnage there would be these days with a mixture of skiers and boarders? The new Cas web cam would most definitely be used for YBF.

WM
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 11.25hrs on Thu 7 Mar 13
And what about the bumps that used to form in the Ciste Gully ?

Truly awesome some years.As you "skied !" nearer the bottom the bigger they got. You could have hidden a Mini-bus in between them.

West Wall got a lot of bumps too - either on the Wall itself or a line most of the way under the Chair.

I remember one season in the early 2000's Alladins Couloir was being skied so much that bumps were forming in the lower chute !

Memories

PS And don't forget....These runs were being skied on any thing between 200 - 210's ! and maybe some of the BASI guys were taking longer "toys" down them !
Hipennine

Date Posted: 12.44hrs on Thu 7 Mar 13
Gorminator Wrote:
And what about the bumps that used to form in the Ciste Gully ?

Truly awesome some years.As you "skied !" nearer the bottom the bigger they got. You could have hidden a Mini-bus in between them.

West Wall got a lot of bumps too - either on the Wall itself or a line most of the way under the Chair.

I remember one season in the early 2000's Alladins Couloir was being skied so much that bumps were forming in the lower chute !

Memories

PS And don't forget....These runs were being skied on any thing between 200 - 210's ! and maybe some of the BASI guys were taking longer "toys" down them !

Aye, I remember a line of BASI course participants blasting past me in the lower Ciste on a warm spring day - long skis and turn perfect on mega bumps. Don't know where they got the strength from in that heat - but at least you got a rest riding up the chairlift back then !
DaveF

18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 22.59hrs on Sat 9 Mar 13
Could the snowcats at scottish resorts do this?

[wiki.fis-ski.com]

[www.youtube.com]

WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 10.29hrs on Sun 10 Mar 13
DaveF Wrote:
Could the snowcats at scottish resorts do this?

[wiki.fis-ski.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Come on Colin/Adam, now you have become masters the parks, your next challenge? A line of these down the WL? Give the chance of some of us old timers a chance to show the kids what we can do smiling smiley

WM
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.59hrs on Sun 10 Mar 13
Or can't do anymore !!!
DaveF

18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 20.39hrs on Tue 12 Mar 13
[www.youtube.com]

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.56hrs Tue 12 Mar 13 by DaveF.
actionslax

Last Visited: 06:34
7th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.13hrs on Tue 12 Mar 13
Moguls - Brings back horrific memories of thursday evening short swing practice at Hillend for one thing and the WL or Tiger after weeks of no new snow.... ohhh... shivers.

One thing I always failed to understand when I was younger was the mogul. I couldn't get to grips why all these skiers would continue to do these small little turns which would end up creating these horrendous bumps and ruin the slope for us all smiling smiley

Wide open fast bit of corduroy (or powder of course) please.. any day. Thank goodnees they got these new pisten machines.
DaveF

18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 21.57hrs on Tue 12 Mar 13
Personally I loved the moguls on the WL, Gunbarrel and Ciste. WL could be tricky when big and icy. Remember when I was learning to ski in the late 80’s we found ourselves on the top of the lady on the last day of instruction with some monster bumps. Our instructor (can’t recall name but sported a large walrus moustache) had complained of a hangover all day and asked if we’d mind free skiing for the rest of the afternoon. We agreed and off he went straight down the fall line skiing them like a hero. Ever since I’ve aspired to ski them nearly as well minus hangover. Still a work in progress!
pfairbrother

Last Visited: 12:11
27th Nov 2017
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 08.53hrs on Fri 15 Mar 13
It's looking like there's an opportunity for some bumps on the M1 sidetrack as long as the guys keep the machines away!!
For those of you not aware of where this is it's the continuation of the approach to the white lady from the top of the M1 poma. Instead of cutting right under the funi track the sidetrack continues straight down between the poma and the rail track.
Needs some skier traffic performing consistent short turns to form the bumps winking smiley

Come with TREKnTRAIL for a memorable and enjoyable outdoor experience walking or mountain biking in the wonderful Cairngorms National Park near Aviemore.

www.trekntrail.co.uk

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: