You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
roscoeh

Last Visited: 23:23
24th Mar 2018
buying and storing of winter tyres
Date Posted: 09.55hrs on Mon 4 Nov 13
Hi,

So I am looking at buying winter tyres this year had a wee skid on black ice on the way up to cairngorm ast year last year but need some advice about the buying storing of them.

I havea VW polo so can get 4 winter tyres fitted @ £412.80 for a set of bridgestones fitted. (Blackcircles)

- is there anyone doing better deals?
- What cost will a garage give for removing/fitting these in the future.
- is it safe to store tyres in my garden shed - should they be deflated to a certain pressure?

Thanks.
andytb

Last Visited: 10:36
4th May 2018
Re: buying and storing of winter tyres
Date Posted: 10.05hrs on Mon 4 Nov 13
Without knowing your tyre size, I suspect mytyres will be able to sell you a set of slightly cheaper tyres fitted to steel wheels for a very similar cost. This means for point (2) your only cost in the future is the time of changing over wheels spring and autumn. It takes me about 45 mins to work round the four wheels on my car.

Regards (3) I've actually read that tyres stored on rims should be over-inflated compared to installation values to make sure moisture doesn't penetrate the bead.

Mine get stored in an old (draughty) garage on a stand that keeps them physically separated and off the floor, seems to work fine.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.03hrs on Mon 4 Nov 13
I would definitely go for getting the tires on extra rims. For tyre storage try something like this to hang them on the garage wall/ceiling.

[www2.westfalia.net]

To make light work of the jacking, see this.

[lifehacker.com]

Also a drill socket adaptor speeds things up. What I do is loosen all the nuts, then change the tyres using a cordless drill to jack the car up, take of the nuts, replace them, and then lower the car. Finally I go around the car giving the nuts a final tightening.

cammyammy

Last Visited: 21:43
8th Dec 2014
Date Posted: 12.09hrs on Mon 4 Nov 13
I didn't have the cash for it this year for one reason or another. However I've recently picked up some decent used winter tyres from Knockhill for £80 for all 4 corners inc fitting. Decent brands too; they have a lot of Pirelli and Bridgestone (as well as others) with plenty life left in them. Apparently with a new law in Germany where all used cars must come with new tyres there are a lot of very reasonable tyres on the second hand market. The ones I got have 3/4 life left in them and already showing their money's worth. Certainly can't complain for £&0. Would definitely recommend this to anyone considering it but put off by the price.

As for storage, a lot of people tell you their theory's but I have previously just run with them all year and encountered no problems at all. Certainly is a benefit when it's wet. I store some spare tyres on top of some shelves away from sun light in the garage and again no problems to report.
roscoeh

Last Visited: 23:23
24th Mar 2018
Date Posted: 13.16hrs on Mon 4 Nov 13
Thanks all,

Cammy that interests me -

[www.knockhill.com]
paisleyboarder

Last Visited: 19:44
15th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 15.42hrs on Mon 4 Nov 13
I've mentioned on another thread about using camskill.co.uk as they have a large selection of brands and sizes although there are a few that have no stock, 2.99 delivery per tyre as for storing them as others have said on rims inflated checking the pressures regularly, I store mine in the loft but don't store them near paints or solvents and if you store them in a stack without rims then rotate them once a month to prevent them from crushing on top of one another.
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.24hrs on Mon 4 Nov 13
I just decided to go for winter tyres for the first time - likewise had a skid or two last year and planning to be up north skiing as much as my work and wife will allow me! Cheapest I found was Kwik Fit Online service, cheaper than mytyres and tyreshopper.co.uk and their mobile service will fit at my home at no charge (since I am getting a full set). I'm not going to get extra rims (asked at Kwik Fit and they said not necessary) but that does mean I need to pay to get them refitted every 6 months when I change over. Local garages will do at a reasonable price I've heard.

I was surprised how the prices have came down - to a price not that much more than normal tyres so I thought "why not" - let's face it you're going to wear out normal tyres anyway. If you have a garden may be cheaper to get a storage box than pay someone for storage, or clear out the junk in a shed if you have one (which is what I will do)
ESD1711

Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 08.35hrs on Tue 5 Nov 13
My car runs on different wheels in the summer / winter months anyway - so it makes sense for me just to get winter tyres on my 'winter' wheels.

Knockhill did this last year, but I never got around to going up for a look - probably well worth a shout.

Failing that - loadsa bargains on eBay to be had, lots of which are already mounted on steelies etc - certainly worth a look.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.37hrs on Tue 5 Nov 13
Here is a nice video comparing the same car in two wheel and all wheel drive in snow in winter and summer tyres

[www.autoexpress.co.uk]

paraffin

Date Posted: 15.13hrs on Tue 5 Nov 13
Thanks Jabuzzard, very informative.

I have front wheel drive with winter tyres. PLUS chains.

AWD & winter tyres might just do it - but do not be fooled. Chains (mandatory on some Alpine passes) will need to be carried to beat sump deep conditions / tracks polished by 1st gear revvers.

As for storing tyres & steel rims - my summer set sit vertical in the shed inflated Oct - May & winter set vice versa. I wonder why special storage is needed, when otherwise they would be on a vehicle 12 mths/yr?

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 15.20hrs on Tue 5 Nov 13
I have winter tyres on all wheels, all year round (have done for the last 7 years). Just about to replace the front ones as they're getting low. I also carry chains which have got me out of a few situations in the last 3 years or so...(mainly of my own doing!)
Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 16.01hrs on Tue 5 Nov 13
^ Good Year Vectors 4 seasons tyres winking smiley
These have M&S snowflake symbol - but are specifically designed for use all year round. I think they are imported from Germany, where they recently changed the legislation on winter tyres.

Big thumbs up from me - ideal for year round Scottish motoring thumbs up

[www.goodyear.eu]

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]
WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 17.00hrs on Tue 5 Nov 13
Kleber Quadraxer 4 season tyres at ATS Euromaster, M&S rated symbol

Paid £68 a tyre for 185x55R15H, fitted & inc VAT

Cashback via Quidco web site

Book fitting time to suit online or mobile fitting service for £1 (yes £1)

[shop.atseuromaster.co.uk]

I think Kleber are made by Michellin.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.01hrs Tue 5 Nov 13 by WebCT_Guru.
nicko

Last Visited: 22:37
6th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 23.55hrs on Tue 5 Nov 13
Bought winters a couple of years ago via WH (thanks Raymond!), put them on the front wheels, fitted by these guys:

pronto-tyres.co.uk

They are in based in Edinburgh and do house/office visits - very convenient, friendly and not expensive.

I leave mine on all year - but rack up most miles in winter - going skiing! Once they are worn, I'll shift them to the back and get a new pair from Pronto for the front. (And yes, I have seen the video of 2 vs 4 winter tyres but ££!! etc)

AlanA

Last Visited: 15:33
24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 15.27hrs on Wed 6 Nov 13
From last year's big long winter tyre thread i remember there being issues with insurance companies if you put your winter tyres on steel rims instead of the alloys issued as spec.

My insurance is up this week, can anyone remind me please which insurance companies didn't hassle to much over this?
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: