You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:13 of 13
JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Re: Nevis Range Snow 2014
Date Posted: 21.18hrs on Sun 20 Apr 14
Braveheart:

Attachments: bh.jpg (371kB)  
Freeheel

Last Visited: 12:20
22nd Dec 2016
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 09.14hrs on Mon 21 Apr 14
JC, great comment and I’d just like to second that; fantastic conditions, BH a huge cherry on the cake and a big thanks to Nevis Range and staff. You cannae beat it in terms of variety and scale + views and ambience, great in the sunshine.smiling smiley thumbs up

It was also great to meet some fellow WH’landers though was at Summit Gully wrong time for you JC. Thanks to Sredna for some tips on EG which I’ve wanted to do for a while and the run down to the loch was one of the days many highlights.

Enough said and have embed a Bheart pic as seeing is believing and I’ve put some more on Flickr should be in date order so newest & fewest at the end. [www.flickr.com].

I was the first lucky Easter Bunny up making the Special One even more special grinning smiley

Free the heel, free the spirit and all that shtuff!

sredna100

Date Posted: 20.23hrs on Mon 21 Apr 14
Fantastic day on Sunday, only 2 runs on the front till we hit the real stuff and the legend that became a myth became a reality and Bravheart opened (HONEST).

A quickie on Backtrack was followed by a drop in Easy Gully via the back door and a simply scorching descent at warp factor nine to the valley floor, cheers to Dave for retreiving my hat ripped of at that pace !

Back up on Braveheart with skis scraping the snow on occasion, there was THAT much snow there !!

3 more lifts saw us on the summit for a long skate over to summit gully for another fine drop back to the chair where the day was finished on dropping down the side of Braveheart in blazing sun. Traverse back round the hill with Freeheel around close of play along with many other happy and tired punters.

A day for memories !

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.45hrs on Mon 21 Apr 14
Amazing what two days can do. It was good today but getting very heavy at times and sudden decelerations are not easy on tele. Summit Gully was again good fun and well done to PM for skiing Hidden Gully.

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 11.41hrs on Tue 22 Apr 14
I'm hoping to get up at the weekend to finally get summit gully done...only managed in the backs once in my 25 years of skiing!..hope the weather plays ball!

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 14.52hrs on Tue 22 Apr 14
I am sure it will still be in condition then.

Freeheel

22nd Dec 2016
Date Posted: 20.54hrs on Sat 31 May 14
Blue Skies, Sunshine, Back Corries (where else?) 25th May

[youtu.be]

.......................................................................2013 eye popping smiley

Freeheel

22nd Dec 2016
Date Posted: 20.02hrs on Wed 18 Jun 14
It's going fast but still plenty left for a midsummer ski if anyone has the notion. Without doubt the most snow and biggest vertical available in Scotland.smiling smiley
Options maybe

The Goose - easy to get to consistent and a nice surface (ski down to cT5)

Summit Gully - really nice with a wee twist in the middle eye popping smiley

An Cul Coire - for the more adventurous maybe, and watch the avy debris as you approach the loch

All pics from yesterday which is nearest to midsummer I could do and hope some find this of use.

The beer and cake on offer back at the bar isn't bad to round off the day either! thumbs up Thanks for the good times NR.

Cheers

Freeheel

Mountainaddict

Last Visited: 19:38
6th Jan 2021
Date Posted: 12.05hrs on Thu 19 Jun 14
Cheers Freeheel! Nice pics.

Ta for the pointer re. the Nevis Range vertical - could well fancy a bit of a slide on Midsummer's Day!

Some queries:

- Where's An Cul Choire? Is it easily accessible?
- And is there much vertical in it?

Freeheel

22nd Dec 2016
Date Posted: 16.55hrs on Thu 19 Jun 14
Mountainaddict.

Vertical - I'd say c250m but its on a decent scale i.e. reasonable distance to the loch while it's corrie skiing rather than just being in a gully. I think I posted a video of skiing it last year a bit further up the page which will give more of a general idea what to expect.

Location - If you're familiar with Summit Gully then its about 15 mins from the top of that, heading for the Aonach Beag col with An Cul Choire on the left when you reach the col. On the return journey there is about 150m uphill to get you back to the top of Aonach Mor though, but there's a nice path and an easy gradient.

Enjoy if you decide to go for it! smiling smiley

Mountainaddict

Last Visited: 19:38
6th Jan 2021
Date Posted: 11.48hrs on Fri 20 Jun 14
Cheers Freeheel - still undecided re. the weekend. Very tempted but we're 300 miles away and have already had June ski touring trips to Cairngorm and Glencoe. Would be nice to make it a hat trick of ski areas but the forecast looks pretty decent for some big mountain bike rides on the North York Moors...

Hmmm....Weekends just aren't long enough!

alan

Last Visited: 22:07
16th Apr 2024
Date Posted: 11.56hrs on Fri 20 Jun 14
There's all summer and autumn for mountain bike trips! tongue sticking out smiley

Current Page:13 of 13
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: