You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:2 of 7
crouch_potato

Last Visited: 21:27
22nd Feb 2019
Re: 3 pistes cycle sportive
Date Posted: 11.58hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
Nice one Alan, hope the event is a success. IMO the route is pretty good (I hate the A93 over the Cairnwell because of the heavy traffic and the speed differential - esp. up to the climb proper) but the rest is all good fun. As an organiser, sorting the logistics between start to finish is the real art I guess - and coordinating with a broom wagon etc to ensure everybody and their kit ends up in the right place at the end of the day, but otherwise it should be a success.

But, cheeky pedant that I am, I'm just wondering where these roads rank on the highest in the UK lists. Devout road climbers might have done the access road to Great Dun Fell (highest tarmac in the UK?) and Green Lowther (highest tarmac in Scotland?). Add a couple of the road passes in the Pennines (local skiers may be familiar with these) which are higher than anything in Scotland apart from the Lecht and Cairnwell, the Bealach na Ba (and maybe others I've forgotten) and I'm fairly sure the Ciste carpark doesn't make number 4 in the highest roads lists. Not that it matters beyond pedantry, I'm certain I've read (and heard) the Bealach Na Ba sportive billed as covering the highest pass/ the biggest/ longest road climb in the UK. None of which is true (though the climb is certainly a contender for the best) and that kind of billing certainly seems to attracts the crowds as much as the ride itself. You've got another maybe from me in any case - though riding a mtb or cross bike (either fixed or geared) probably wouldn't be my first choice setup for the whole thing.
AlanA

Last Visited: 15:33
24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 11.58hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
Hi Daveski - your support will be most welcome.

We'll be looking for marshals for the event. The most fun (hic) spot to be a marshal will be at the Well of the Lecht corner. Riders will be getting close to 60mph before clamping on their brakes for dear life to get round the corner. You will experience the smell of burning rubber and recently dirtied bib shorts in equal measure.

Shall I put your name down to be a marshal there? ;-)
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.07hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
Any chance of straw bales & chevrons on that bend? smiling smiley

And it's probably worth reminding riders who fancy some speed downhill, that there area a few good bends between Crathie & Lecht, which are prone to loose gravel on the apex. Can cause a nasty rash. - So it's possible to enjoy the downhill speed, but a sharp eye on the road surface is needed.
AlanA

24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 13.49hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
Entry details and prices are now available at [3pistescycle.wordpress.com]

@Crouch_P

You are correct that the tarmac on Great Dunn and Lowther are higher up, however they are not the Queen's Highway ;-)

Bealach is the 3rd highest road in UK and has the highest vertical gain. The Pennine passes are close in height to Glenshee etc, but according to the online sources I checked and Simon Warren's 2 100 Greatest climbs books the Scottish ones just pip them.
somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 14.00hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
daveski Wrote:the downhill section where speeds in excess of 60mph must be worth a look
there are many non-trunk roads in scotland where 60mph downhill is readily achievable on two wheels, though not as readily advisable.
the descent through glen docherty to kinlochewe on the A832 is a particular favourite.
AlanA

24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 14.06hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
somnambulant_sasquatch Wrote:
daveski Wrote:the downhill section where speeds in excess of 60mph must be worth a lookthere are many non-trunk roads in scotland where 60mph downhill is readily achievable on two wheels, though not as readily advisable.
the descent through glen docherty to kinlochewe on the A832 is a particular favourite.

Fastest I have ever done in UK is 98kph on The String in Arran. I hold the Strava KOM for it ;-)

Fastest I've been able to get down CairnGorm before slamming on the brakes for Ciste turn is 85kph.

Never been able to do anything meaningful down the Lecht because it's always wet or windy when I am there.

In the 2010 Etape I hit 110kph going down the Col Du Soulor - oarrrsommmmmeeeeeee

However last week I went down Honister Pass with brakes on all the way.
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 14.48hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
AlanA Wrote:
Hi Daveski - your support will be most welcome.

We'll be looking for marshals for the event. The most fun (hic) spot to be a marshal will be at the Well of the Lecht corner. Riders will be getting close to 60mph before clamping on their brakes for dear life to get round the corner. You will experience the smell of burning rubber and recently dirtied bib shorts in equal measure.

Shall I put your name down to be a marshal there? ;-)

AlanA - as much as I would love to do it I can't commit so far ahead.
crouch_potato

Last Visited: 21:27
22nd Feb 2019
Date Posted: 15.08hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
@ AlanA - Good as the Bealach Na Ba (at 626m high and starting almost at sea level) is, Killhope Cross (between Weardale/ South Tynedale) and Harthope Head (Weardale/ Teesdale) reach 627m. Which means of the tarmac roads only the Lecht and Cairnwell summits are higher. I think.

Incidentally, Pennine skiers familiar with the area might know that Great Dun Fell tops out at 848m, but, starting from the junction at Knock also gives a vertical climb of 640m in ~ 7.6k. So both the highest summit, and the biggest vertical in the UK, and to my mind a higher average (and maximum) gradient than the illustrious BnB. And if you start from 10km away you can make it longer and higher (but then the first 3km are a bit flat). It's a bugger with skis on a trailer in any case.

To get vaguely back to the topic (road biking between various ski areas) I only know the above as I used to make various arbitrary challenges while bored at work, like how much climbing/descending can you realistically get in a single loop of the North Pennines ski areas without doubling up on any roads (~4700m climbing and descending in ~200km) or how many laps to the radar station to equal summiting Everest from sea level (answer = 14). The roads around the ski areas (Pennine, Lake District, or Highlands) are fantastic for biking - thinking about it now I might have to get some slicks on the cross bike and sign up. Lower gears and decent brakes could be a winner.
AlanA

24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 15.35hrs on Mon 25 Nov 13
I bow to your superior knowledge. But I am dubious.

I'll do you a deal. Get your garmin out and ride up Killhope Cross, Harthope Head and Great Dunn Fell. We'll compare the data with mine for A93, A939 & Cairngorm and if you are correct I'll give you free entry and coach.

deal?

Yes cross with lower gears & better brakes would be a good choice.
ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 11.25hrs on Tue 26 Nov 13
What about a medal...?
AlanA

24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 11.33hrs on Tue 26 Nov 13
ColinTheCop Wrote:
What about a medal...?

Really?

Would you not prefer your money spent on a bigger bowl of stories at the finish?

All my crappy old sportive & half marathon medal are gathering dust in a box in the attic.
Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.01hrs on Tue 26 Nov 13
AlanA Wrote:
ColinTheCop Wrote:
What about a medal...?

Really?

Would you not prefer your money spent on a bigger bowl of stories at the finish?

All my crappy old sportive & half marathon medal are gathering dust in a box in the attic.

Agree. Anyway, the goody bag can only be an improvement on the Etape C one....

OT: spotting Colin there makes me wonder... many BR/WH crossbenchers here? Is being into skiing and cycling the norm?
AlanA

24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 16.04hrs on Tue 26 Nov 13
Bomp Wrote:
AlanA Wrote:
ColinTheCop Wrote:
What about a medal...?

Really?

Agree. Anyway, the goody bag can only be an improvement on the Etape C one....

OT: spotting Colin there makes me wonder... many BR/WH crossbenchers here? Is being into skiing and cycling the norm?

Aha… You own a long haired collie!

Who is Colin on BR?
AlanA

24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 16.21hrs on Wed 27 Nov 13

AlanA

24th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 20.49hrs on Thu 28 Nov 13
Before you ask… 500. 150 coach to start. 150 coach from finish and 200 entry only.

Also… the man who creates the Tour of Britain route has been inspired by it.

Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:2 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: