You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
JanA

Last Visited: 15:03
10th Apr 2017
Re: Resort, location and advice on everything please.
Date Posted: 09.33hrs on Wed 15 Jan 14
The up-to-date piste map is this one; the map above is just memories/wishful thinking and a certain amount of scrap metal. [www.cairngormmountain.org]

Don't venture out of the area (marked in pale green - lifts 13/14) on the left hand half of the previous map unless you are confident on a fast poma with a flying start...or you will have a long walk back as that is now the only uplift on that side of the hill!

SYHA_Cairngorm_Group

Last Visited: 17:26
18th Jan 2014
Date Posted: 17.01hrs on Wed 15 Jan 14
Hi there, If you are coming to ski/ride Cairngorm Mountain then may I recommend either Cairngorm Lodge SYHA or Aviemore SYHA for budget accommodation.

Long gone are the days of having to do a 'chore' at a hostel... We are keeping up with the times and both hostels offer warm, comfortable accommodation, hot showers, private rooms (starting at £45 for a twin room) or shared dorms (at £18 per night), great drying rooms for wet gear, friendly knowledgable staff, locally brewed beer, well equipped self-catering kitchens and breakfast options. Cairngorm Lodge also offers evening meals if you prefer not to cook!

Cairngorm Lodge is located in Glenmore which is right at the base of the mountain on the ski road. With the top car park being 4 miles from the hostel (per google maps!) we are the closest accommodation to the slopes. Evening 'action' would be chilling at the hostel (we sell beer or welcome to BYO!), then heading to the Pinemarten Pub across the road for some live music or a wee walk up to the bar at Glenmore Lodge.

Aviemore Hostel although further from the slopes, has the benefit of being 'in town' and a short walk to the variety of pubs, clubs & shops that Aviemore has to offer.

Hope this helps but whatever you end up doing I'm sure you will have a great time here in the Cairngorms. Don't hesitate to drop me a line if you need any more info.

Cheers,
C.

on behalf of SYHA Cairngorm Group.

Cairngorm Lodge Hostel, Aviemore Hostel, Braemar Hostel, Pitlochry Hostel
JanA

Last Visited: 15:03
10th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 19.17hrs on Wed 15 Jan 14
Great to see you people on the forum
We are lucky enough to have lost count of the number of times we’ve stayed at Aviemore (and a few times at Glenmore) SYHA over the last 9-10 years. Basic accommodation but you get what you need, drying rooms, well equipped kitchen etc and you don’t end up paying for the ‘hotel’ frills that you don’t need for a couple of days ski-ing.

SYHA_Cairngorm_Group

18th Jan 2014
Date Posted: 20.16hrs on Wed 15 Jan 14
Thanks JanA - Very encouraging reply for my first post as SYHA smiling smiley

I'm trying to dispel the myths about youth hostels and focus on the positives that I (and you) outlined above.

Also, all the hostel staff live in here at Glenmore so we just look right out the window or step out the door and we can see the weather first hand, check the line-ups at the ski gates, check if there is snow on the ski road etc so I'll try to be as helpful as I can and pass on all the info as I find it.

If you (or any other winterhighlanders for that matter) are at the hostel this season please say hi!

Cheers,
C.

Nude_Model

Last Visited: 09:39
26th Jan 2014
Date Posted: 21.48hrs on Wed 15 Jan 14
I cant shake the image of The Village People doing YMCA our of my head
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.19hrs on Thu 16 Jan 14
Can you (SYHA) post if the snow gates are closed or a massive queue is developing? That would be very helpful.
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.47hrs on Thu 16 Jan 14
The SYHA has done some great 3 for 2 deals over the past years. I'd echo everything said about staying at SYHA in Aviemore.We had a family room which worked really well,no frills but good solid warm accommodation with easy access to pubs and restaurants,too.Pretty much everyone staying there is sking or walking/climbing too, so there is some great craic.
Blockzzz

Last Visited: 20:34
15th Mar 2014
Date Posted: 10.06hrs on Sat 18 Jan 14
Thank you all.

I have already looked at the Hostel!
When i read about the Funicular railway it says you are only allowed to leave it if you are with a guide. Is this then not the case if you are there snowboarding? does the lift pass allow things to be different?

Thank you once again.

Gartcoshyy

Last Visited: 12:16
19th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 11.07hrs on Sat 18 Jan 14
Funicular is for skiers and boarders too
SYHA_Cairngorm_Group

18th Jan 2014
Date Posted: 17.28hrs on Sat 18 Jan 14
Your lift pass allows you access to all uplift (T-bars, pomas & funicular) that Cairngorm has to offer.

With regard to 'only allowed to leave if you are with a guide'... Thats applicable to people who are buying a sightseeing only day pass for the funicular (i.e. foot passengers who are not doing any snowsports). These passengers are restricted to the Ptarmigan Lodge & a limited area outdoors surrounding the Ptarmigan unless they book a guided walk.

Hope this helps,
C.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.48hrs on Sat 18 Jan 14
When i read about the Funicular railway it says you are only allowed to leave it if you are with a guide

The Funicular is an open system when the mountain is open for snowsports. (Though conditions of tickets requires non skiers to remain within the ski patrol area).
Blockzzz

Last Visited: 20:34
15th Mar 2014
Date Posted: 22.40hrs on Sat 18 Jan 14
Yes it helps thank you.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: