You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Hipennine

Falcon and Harrier at Lecht
Date Posted: 10.29hrs on Sat 8 Feb 14
This may be entirely subjective, but anyone know why the Falcon and Harrier never seem to be open?

I remember lapping them continuously one day many years ago when Cairngorm was shut, and being very pleasantly surprised that they had a more demanding pitch than the rest of the place (and also biggest vertical ?), but I can't remember ever seeing them as marked open ever since.

Had they been opened today, I migt have been inclined to make the journey that far north.
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Re: Falcon and Harrier at Lecht
Date Posted: 11.49hrs on Sat 8 Feb 14

Coincidentally, I emailed the Lecht yesterday and asked them this very question. I will post any reply I get on here.
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.16hrs on Sat 8 Feb 14
Falcon is open today, i went for a short tour, after towing a stuck car out of carpark with my scooby

It started running about 12ish
harrier not running, but black slope was groomed as i skied down behind piste basher
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 09.43hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14

The Lecht haven't responded to my email (after 1 week) so I re-sent today. There does seem to be a serious lack of will to run these tows.

The Lecht claim 205 metres of veritcal, which I assume is the vertical from top to base of Harrier, but this vertical is hardly ever available (at least via the lifts) becasue the lifts hardly ever operate.

In fact, looking at the OS map I can’t seem to get up to 205 metres! 188m seems to be the max. Without the Harrier and Falcon, the Buzzard seems to have the next biggest vertical with about 125m.

So it's a bit mis-informing to claim 205 m vertical because for the vast majority of time the most you get is 125m

Dunc
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 16.53hrs on Fri 21 Feb 14

Does anyone know what / where is the Railpark lift at the Lecht? It's shown as number 13 on the Winterhighland status. I thought it may have been up towards the top of Harrier/Falcon, but the Lecht ticket office lass said it wasn't. A phantom mystery lift?
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.20hrs on Fri 21 Feb 14
There are some permanently installed rails under the Snowy Owl Chair, they can be accessed by the Magic Carpet directly or the Chairlift from above.
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 23.35hrs on Fri 21 Feb 14
alan Wrote:
There are some permanently installed rails under the Snowy Owl Chair, they can be accessed by the Magic Carpet directly or the Chairlift from above.

That's true, but there is another lift listed on Winterhighland lift status. You can't count the Magic Carpet twice.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 00.10hrs on Sat 22 Feb 14
It just refers to the Rail Park now and really shouldn't be in the lift status - but that's how the data is set up on the reporting system (not something we have any control over). There was once 4 of thoese handle tows, the Bunting Tow and one that for a time was up by the top of the Harrier. The Bunting Tow did come out from time to time after the Magic Carpet went in but not in recent times.

Have made some code updates to make it clearer than this isn't a lift and removed the lift number which further confused the issue.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.32hrs Sat 22 Feb 14 by alan.
WebCT_Guru

Last Visited: 14:32
21st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 15.02hrs on Mon 24 Feb 14
On Saturday 22nd Feb, the Falcon was running from mid-morning and noticed the Harrier was running in the late afternoon (was spinning at approx 4pm as I left, but didn't have the opportunity to try).
teleshred

Last Visited: 13:22
10th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 22.00hrs on Mon 24 Feb 14
Falcon spun most of the day on Saturday and Harrier was on from around 2pm. Good to see!
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 17.46hrs on Fri 28 Feb 14

After a couple of days during the busy half term period when these lifts partially ran (never a full day, and never both on at the same time AFAIK), the Lecht seems to have gone back to not bothering. They should change their stated vertical to a miserly 125m (Buzzard). They shouldn't be claiming 180m (or 205m which is impossible for the Lecht but which they sometimes claim).
I like the Lecht, but the operation of these two lifts is starting to p me off. They never responded to my original email asking about this despite sending it to them three times.
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.20hrs on Fri 28 Feb 14
Yeah midweek skiing at lecht can be a gamble if you want to ski the steeper runs
as they often seem to wait to see how many punters turn up before running buzzard, falcon, harrier
so i dont risk it anymore midweek
hector

Last Visited: 13:35
19th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 21.53hrs on Fri 28 Feb 14
I've had good luck asking them to run the buzzard on a quiet day in the past?

Not sure if they were already planning on getting it going anyway and were just humouring me but we were the only ones really using it all afternoon!
Maf

Last Visited: 15:44
3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.03hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
I was at the Lecht last Tue...Falcon and Harrier not running. The ticket lady said there wasn't enough snow. They did run Buzzard from mid morning though. From that vantage point you could see that there was one very narrow bit on the steep bit approaching both lifts. Half an hour with a shovel and a sledge could have sorted that, but they didn't bother. It's a shame because those are their 2 best runs.
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 16.55hrs on Thu 13 Mar 14

Looks like the Lecht might be finished for the season. Not a good one for them.
Is this divine punishment for very often promising the Falcon/Harrier will run, then almost always not bothering?
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: