You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
TallPaul

Last Visited: 08:09
27th Mar 2016
Should Cairngorm be charging full price for limited uplift?
Date Posted: 09.32hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
I notice on their website that limited uplift will be available today, but no mention of reducing ticket prices to match what they're offering

I went to cairngorm a couple of weeks ago (on a Wednesday) and they had limited uplift in atrocious winds, they were charging full price of £33.50 for a ticket. I bought a ticket but wished I hadn't and I'm now voting with my feet in similar situations and not going when they can't offer full mountain and full uplift but are still charging full price

I heard on the Wednesday in question that the only reason they opened was because they had over 90 people booked in at ski-school, so they were eager to still take their money

Nevis range reduces their ticket prices down when they can't offer full mountain/uplift and glencoe offer cheaper tickets mid-week

Are Cairngorm shooting themselves in the foot with their "grab the money" policy?

they certainly don't get my money anymore when they are charging full price for limited uplift

walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Re: Should Cairngorm be charging full price for limited uplift?
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
The business strategy is to reduce demand to a level they can cope with.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 11.57hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
Sssshtt !!

You better watch Daveski doesn't come on the Forums and give you a ticking off for raising a valid point - again.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.15hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
So the argument now goes, to paraphrase...

Any day ticket is not activated until it passes through a lift gate for the first time. Thus a reduced price ticket bought one day may not be used until a later date in the season when the full area is open. That and the fact tickets are sold off site at the full day rate only mean there will be one ticket price.

TallPaul

27th Mar 2016
Date Posted: 12.38hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
alan Wrote:
So the argument now goes, to paraphrase...

Any day ticket is not activated until it passes through a lift gate for the first time. Thus a reduced price ticket bought one day may not be used until a later date in the season when the full area is open. That and the fact tickets are sold off site at the full day rate only mean there will be one ticket price.

If it can't be used at a later date then what's the problem?
TallPaul

27th Mar 2016
Date Posted: 12.44hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
Am I correct in thinking that since they're lumbered with the joke that is the funicular and the huge debt that goes with it, they're desperate to get as much money as possible to keep up the debt payments?

No chance of reduced tickets because of train debt, even when conditions and uplift would strongly suggest reduced price tickets would be correct?
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 12.44hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
If it can't be used at a later date then what's the problem?

A ticket does not get activated for a specific day until it passes through a gate - that is the argument being made.
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 12.48hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
TallPaul Wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that since they're lumbered with the joke that is the funicular and the huge debt that goes with it, they're desperate to get as much money as possible to keep up the debt payments?

No chance of reduced tickets because of train debt, even when conditions and uplift would strongly suggest reduced price tickets would be correct?

There isn't and never has been a huge debt on CML from the construction costs of the Funicular. The Funicular was procured by, funded by, built for and owned by HIE, who in turn leases it to the operating company.

CML is not in debt and indeed has generated a £1.5m surplus for HIE since the company was taken into public ownership.
TallPaul

27th Mar 2016
Date Posted: 12.53hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
So why not cancel the lease and build something better?

TallPaul

27th Mar 2016
Date Posted: 12.56hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
How very convenient for them that they implement a ticket system that means they can't discount tickets

"So sir, we can't reduce the price, its out of our hands"

How very convenient (they've lost my money, but they won't care about that)
sredna100

Date Posted: 15.08hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
A reduced ticket could be activated at the sales desk on a poor snow/limited uplift day simply on a use it or loose it basis, as opposed to the first turnstile?

Cairngorm are best financially equipped to present such an offer of the five areas being the only one to increase prices this year (I think?) by about 8%, roughly 3 x annual inflation?. That along with ski lift tickets having VAT REDUCED by 15% to only 5% this year gives them about 23% better off than last year (approx).

Now in my book 23% more income for doing nothing extra = a lot lot lot more than 23% profit increase, has to be?

Looks to me like the public recently forked out £25 million on this white elephant resort and then get shafted for using it ?
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 17.52hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
It does scare punters to other resorts.....silver lining

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
cammyammy

Last Visited: 21:43
8th Dec 2014
Date Posted: 18.19hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
At this day and age surely they can tell a high tech electronic ticketing system to handle tickets that are valid for one day only. And then simply sell these tickets at a reduced rate. It's not rocket science in fact I bet they can do it at the click of a button.

There's no excuse, in reality they charge that because they can and will still have a full car park.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.20hrs Sun 9 Feb 14 by cammyammy.
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 18.58hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
Gorminator Wrote:
Sssshtt !!

You better watch Daveski doesn't come on the Forums and give you a ticking off for raising a valid point - again.

No need Gorminator it's a new topic and it all seems related
snmartin

Last Visited: 06:22
4th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 19.40hrs on Sun 9 Feb 14
The price is still a bargin,however do people not understand that this is what we have got,it will not get better and no one is going to pay for anything else.
Stop moaning.
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: