You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
TallPaul

Last Visited: 08:09
27th Mar 2016
Is my experience worth less than ski-school people?
Date Posted: 15.27hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
I had an argument last week with a ski-school bloke who tried to push his ski-school learners in front of me at a poma, I had been queuing for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden this instructor comes along with 3 people and just thinks it was ok to push in front of me

I pointed out that he would be using the poma after me

nobody should be pushing in, people learning to ski are not more important than anybody else, their experience is only worth the same as mine, they queue up just like everybody else
gaz5m

Last Visited: 11:56
23rd Apr 2018
Re: Is my experience worth less than ski-school people?
Date Posted: 15.50hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
I'm no experton the subject but I'm pretty sure that its an accepted norm (certainly at any mountain I've been at on my travels and can remember specifically waiting with Ski School) that Ski School get benefits with regards to queing on account of them generally paying by the hour (or other shorter time period).

If theres not a specific Ski School line to alternate with the normal line, then I think its supposed to just alternate as they arrive at the queue.

Could be wildly wrong though.

phatstanley

Last Visited: 23:09
25th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
gaz5m Wrote:

naw...that was always my experience, too.
ratbag

Last Visited: 07:58
6th Feb 2017
Date Posted: 18.49hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
I wonder what TallPaul would have ranted if the instructor was also a female
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.55hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
phatstanley Wrote:
gaz5m Wrote:

naw...that was always my experience, too.

mine too, seems fair enough
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.31hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
I thought it was private lessons only that got lift priority

That said, if you are paying for both lift pass and a ski lesson, I think there is a case for accelerated access through the tows. Can you imagine paying whatever it is say £25 for 1.5 hours and getting 3 runs!

That said, it is challenging for some of the new starts to use the tows and may take a number of goes for them to get started
cammyammy

Last Visited: 21:43
8th Dec 2014
Date Posted: 19.56hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
Theres always going to be debate over this subject but from the point of view of the ski school and the instructor the client is not getting their moneys worth from the instructor if they spend most of their lesson (which is typically just an hour) in a queue. Id welcome some organised ski school priority at all ski centres, particularly at half term when lengthy queues are not just likely but inevitable. I don't think they should be allowed to cut straight in front though, alternating sounds more reasonable.
seocan

Last Visited: 12:35
12th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 20.31hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
I think it is the accepted norm, given the cost of lessons. Can you imagine being in a class at Glenshee yesterday (Sunday) and not getting to the front of the queue, you'd have been lucky to get one run in.
TallPaul

27th Mar 2016
Date Posted: 20.55hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
seocan Wrote:
I think it is the accepted norm, given the cost of lessons. Can you imagine being in a class at Glenshee yesterday (Sunday) and not getting to the front of the queue, you'd have been lucky to get one run in.

but it's ok if everyone else (who have paid full price for their lift ticket)only gets one run in during the hour or so that the lesson is going on for?

sweepy

Last Visited: 08:14
29th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 21.00hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
Its a bit off in my view, we've all paid to be there.
How about if you bought a more expensive ticket that allowed you to barge in without the bother of the lesson?
dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.10hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
So we won't be seeing you skiing in Europe then TallPaul - every European resort I've been to has seperate ski lines for ski school that allows them to skip to the front, usually on a 1 for 1 basis like for racers on the M1 poma.
ratbag

Last Visited: 07:58
6th Feb 2017
Date Posted: 21.53hrs on Mon 10 Feb 14
Wouldn't it be great if we could invent a chill test for would be sliders which could weed out grumpy self interested mysoginists and only allow tolerant well mannered people access to the mountain
cammyammy

Last Visited: 21:43
8th Dec 2014
Date Posted: 00.03hrs on Tue 11 Feb 14
For a second imagine you've just paid 40 odd quid for a one hour private lesson on top of the £29-£35 day ticket. If you only get a couple of runs in with tuition its hard to justify the expense and certainly makes the value of doing so questionable, as little can be achieved with just two or three runs. And to make matters worse if you have beginners/small children in your class it can take a long time to get to the lift let alone up it.

Luckily for us bad queues (with an exception) are not that frequent a problem so normally wouldn't warrant such a thing. But it simply is necessary at times.

To put it very bluntly ski school clients have parted with more cash than the average punter when you look it in a £/hr perspective.

TallPaul

27th Mar 2016
Date Posted: 00.57hrs on Tue 11 Feb 14
cammyammy Wrote:
For a second imagine you've just paid 40 odd quid for a one hour private lesson on top of the £29-£35 day ticket. If you only get a couple of runs in with tuition its hard to justify the expense and certainly makes the value of doing so questionable, as little can be achieved with just two or three runs. And to make matters worse if you have beginners/small children in your class it can take a long time to get to the lift let alone up it.

Luckily for us bad queues (with an exception) are not that frequent a problem so normally wouldn't warrant such a thing. But it simply is necessary at times.

To put it very bluntly ski school clients have parted with more cash than the average punter when you look it in a £/hr perspective.

That's the risk you take when you book private lessons... Sometimes you're going to have a lot of your time taken up in queues. Its irrelivent how much you've paid, you still queue up with everybody else.

You're not "more entitled" because you have paid more.

Its like saying "get out of my way, I've paid more than you therefore my time is more important"

Anybody pushing in front of me gets told to GTFO
Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 06.03hrs on Tue 11 Feb 14
Or alternatively, the risk you take when you pay for the services offered by a ski centre is that you do so according to their terms, whether it's a case of those terms allowing instructed groups priority access to lifts, or not offering you a ticket you think is cheap enough for the uplift on offer.
You are perfectly entitled not to like this, and indeed to do whatever you want to try and change their policies, whether that's writing huffy letters to the management, starting your own ski resort, or stripping naked and lying down on the uptrack in protest.
But I suspect that whingeing about it on an internet forum in an aggressive, misogynistic, self-centred manner is neither the best way to change it, nor to get much support for your views.
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: