You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Muttsnuts

Last Visited: 09:53
31st Jan 2019
Back Corries - Advice needed
Date Posted: 13.19hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
If conditions allow skiing in the back corries, how long does the hike take to get back round to the lifts??? I've had a look on a map but would prefer some real advice please.

Cheers
geeo

Last Visited: 20:04
7th Feb 2019
Re: Back Corries - Advice needed
Date Posted: 14.45hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.22hrs Sat 15 Feb 14 by geeo.
Muttsnuts

31st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 15.19hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
Thanks geeo, i've always said you should check all physical connections first!!!
what...snow

Last Visited: 11:21
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.24hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
Can't believe your mate hasn't shown you, he showed me the way down the Car Park Black at Glencoe, when you gave me a lift - early 2008? That is a way more rarely skied run - I've never done it since!

Its a 20 min bootpack/skin from the base of the Braveheart but I've never gone down without the lift running. If you are in Coire Dubh, just turn off left roughly level with a traverse from the top of the Braveheart and you will end up near the top of the Rob Roy. There are a couple of waymarkers and unless you are very lucky, there will be tracks. There is usually an interesting chicane section on the way round but I expect that is currently under snow. It's not difficult to hold a high enough line on a snowboard, no problem at all on skis. In fact, if you overdo it you can end up half way up the Nid Wall (nearly as steep as the Flypaper), way above the Rob Roy tow. From the top of the Rob Roy a blue traversing piste takes you to the bottom of the Alpha.

If you don't know it well but the avalanche danger is low (ask) and it's on limited patrol and quite quiet, go off Warrens first. Head left to the ridge, find a line you fancy, check you can see the top of the Braveheart and go for it. Probably best not attempted alone, first time round, it feels even more remote than the top of the Flypaper and Spring Run. The top section is the steepest anyway, the last 1/3 that you are missing is a mellow, wide red standard.

Neil
Muttsnuts

31st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 15.36hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
Thanks Neil, hope you're doing well! Last time we spoke you were stressing about your tax return! I remember a few Spring Runs that year but don't remember the car park run. I was probably asleep in the back at that point!I think your profile pic was one of those days?

Thanks for the advice, will feedback if i get a chance to take it on!

All the best.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.24hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
I would say about 10 minutes if you keep your height.
roscoeh

Last Visited: 23:23
24th Mar 2018
Date Posted: 17.38hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
Depends, there are markers which if you follow can traverse you all the way back to the tow.

This shortens the run a bit, but means no hiking. Alternatively you can extend your run a fair bit and go to the bottom of the braveheart. Then you would need to hike/skin back up to the traverse line. Maybe 30 mins of uphill effort.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.39hrs Fri 14 Feb 14 by roscoeh.
sredna100

Date Posted: 19.24hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
From the bottom of Braveheart the average climb out is about 20 mins. You can go up directly near enough below the chair or traverse at about 30 degrees to your right as you ascend and join the traverse out on skis around pinball alley same time appox either way.

On foot it may at the moment be very hard going at the moment due to snow depth, could take a very long time, at the moment it would be well advised to only consider skins as a way out if the chairs not running.

If no skins you can drop in and go down 2 towers from the top of Braveheart before hanging a left and traversing all the way out with skis on no bother.
There is a line of black poles to follow out, bear in mind these may well be completely covered with snow !!, If in doubt keep high and keep left traversing round the hill . Dont really know what its like round there but a lot of things for ref on the way out may be completely covered. I am keen to get round to see how much snow is actually there? Will Pinball alley be completely gone for instance?
Last time I was on the front of the hill about 2 weeks yesterday it was hard to actually tell exactly where you were with fences completely gone you were really making a rough guess by how far you were from the nearest lift and the vis was quite good !

Great care and advise should be taken for the backs, snow depth should be huge over there I think, word on the hill was there had not been much freeze/thaw going on and be equiped for sure.

The hill may start to open up next week as things starting to settle a little at least, fingers crossed.
inchhighj

Last Visited: 21:52
14th Feb 2014
Date Posted: 21.54hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
Slight thread hijack..

Does anyone have a rough time for hiking/skinning to the Nid or Summit from the car park? 2 hours enough?

Thanks, Johnpaul
geeo

Last Visited: 20:04
7th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 23.20hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
Lol that wasn't what I meant to type, Liam doesn't know where the back corries are..honest I wasn't looking here when I should have been working
Oh well the others have answered you now smiling smiley
what...snow

Last Visited: 11:21
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.37hrs on Fri 14 Feb 14
Hi Jon, profile pic was taken while I was queuing for tickets for us. You came with a bacon roll for both of us about a minute later. A fantastic days skiing. I'm not much more organized about tax returns but started planning for a weekend early march. Hopeful of the weather becoming a bit more settled by then. I'll let you know, see if I can show you around. If Nevis are as proactive as the last 2 years with the Braveheart, it might well be running by then.

Neil
Muttsnuts

31st Jan 2019
Date Posted: 21.22hrs on Sat 15 Feb 14
Thanks again for all the advice everyone. Appreciated.

Neil, anytime, give me a shout!
sredna100

Date Posted: 23.54hrs on Sat 15 Feb 14
For Sunday, backs being shown as access from the top of Warrens with some local instabilities .
Check SAIS site !!! for avi info.

LIMITED PATROL

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23.57hrs Sat 15 Feb 14 by sredna100.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: