You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123456789Next
Current Page:1 of 9
Maf

Last Visited: 15:44
3rd Apr 2021
Cairngorm Preferred Bidder - *NR CONFIRMED*
Date Posted: 09.36hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
I was up at Cairngorm last Wed (26 Feb) and it was a shambles.... I can't think why I didn't expect it, going on previous experience. I'm now just wondering what can be done to make sure CML get taken to account for their continuing inability to run a ski area and also to ensure that we end up with an improvement if and when HIE award the management contract for the ski area to someone else ?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.01hrs Mon 7 Apr 14 by alan.
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Re: Cairngorm Preferred Bidder
Date Posted: 11.59hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
I think the operations team do a good job with very poor facilities and few lifts. The management is another matter in my view.
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 17.07hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
Hopefully Natural Retreats havey an open mind to take the operations forward and improve the general feel of the place. I would like to see them produce a stategy document to show all the customers what they would like to do during their tenure.
Heres a few things I would like to see happen over the short, medium and long term futures.

Short:
Ticketing - I know that the Skidata system has just been setup this year but I would like to see an increase in ticket windows, perhaps relocating the shop elsewhere and putting in the 'winter' ticket windows there. Maybe half a dozen instead of the useless 3 that are currently there.
Catering - Reopening the shieling cafe to its former glory. Many of the punters only want to grab n go. Pie and beans would be more favourable that what is oj offer at the ptarmigan. Perhaps reopening of the Tbar restaurant too for peak times rather than a wasted floor space showing paintings.
Parking - Offering a shuttle service from the big car parks in Aviemore to aid the on hill arrangements.
Ski hire - I haven't used this facility at all but maybe relocate hire into Aviemore to allow later pick up and collection to avoid a wait in the mornings.

Medium:
Infrastructure - Major refurbishment work to all operating lifts to extend the life of them.
Ciste Redevelopment - Total replacement of the Ciste/West Wall Chairs, refurbishment is out the window now. Eventually getting the mountain biking and outdoor activities off the ground too.

Long:
Infrastructure - Replacement of various lifts. Mid mountain within Coire Cas for a start. Replacement of the M1 poma (if no life extension works) or new lift to replace the White Lady tow. (Low lying chair or Tbar).

Just a few ideas in the hat but I feel most would agree with these.

SFS

Maf

3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.51hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
Maybe we should all start writing to HIE so they are aware of skiers' issues. If you look at HIE's website (www.hie.co.uk) and look at [www.hie.co.uk] you will see an article with comments from relevant people in HIE who you can put your concerns to. If you then click on "Contact us" then go onto the Directors and Senior Management tab you will find very uesful e business cards giving you the direct e mail addresses to allow you to make your issues known to the relevant senior management.

Surely it's worth a try...I've sent my tuppence worth already.
glenogle

Last Visited: 23:25
1st Jun 2018
Date Posted: 19.34hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
Will the existing management not just TUPE over to who ever the winning bidder is?

In which case it might not be as easy to move forward?
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.43hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
Is it not an operator HIE are Looking for to run the HIE infrastructure? Or are the new operator going to partner with HIE in new infrastructure?

Maf

3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.02hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
Maybe HIE are the ones to answer these questions. They are a public body funded by our money. Try asking them.
Maf

3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.20hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
Here's an extract of what HIE have said on their website

" Charlotte Wright, HIE’s Director of Business and Sector Development, said the mountain resort presented a great opportunity for the right operator.

“Cairngorm is not only well established as one of the UK’s premier snowsports centres, the funicular railway has helped make it a year-round attraction,” said Mrs Wright.

“What we’re seeking is an operator with innovative ideas and the capacity to invest so that a sustainable future can be secured for this important local business..”

Just put Cairngorm in HIE's search box and you'll get what they have to say.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.42hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
The Cho Cho is not much of an attraction this year !!!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.08hrs on Sun 2 Mar 14
Gorminator Wrote:

It seems to be attracting plenty of snow!
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 12.52hrs on Mon 3 Mar 14
alan Wrote:
Gorminator Wrote:

It seems to be attracting plenty of snow!

smiling smiley
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 13.57hrs on Mon 3 Mar 14
The Worlds most expensive Snow Fence !! £17m ?
Hipennine

Date Posted: 19.36hrs on Tue 4 Mar 14
Has anybody looked at Natural Retreats accounts ?

Y/e 31/3/2013

Net Profit: minus £592k !!!!
Net worth: minus £1910k !!!!!!!!!!!
Long term financing (ie debt): £3434k

And this is HIE's preferred partner "with innovative ideas and the capacity to invest so that a sustainable future can be secured for this important local business..” ?????????????????????

chrisski

Date Posted: 20.09hrs on Tue 4 Mar 14
Hipennine Wrote:

Y/e 31/3/2013

And this is HIE's preferred partner "with innovative ideas and the capacity to invest so that a sustainable future can be secured for this important local business..” ?????????????????????

As mentioned in another thread my gut feeling is that natural retreats will be bad and personnally think it will a disaster for them to run cairngorm
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Tue 4 Mar 14
Hipennine Wrote:

Y/e 31/3/2013

HIE could be making a BIG mistake here but what else is new. One incompetent company in charge of a ski area handing the keys over to another. Lovely stuff.
Goto Page:  123456789Next
Current Page:1 of 9
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: