You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
crouch_potato

Last Visited: 21:27
22nd Feb 2019
Touring this week Wed 26th/ Thursday 27th – conditions?
Date Posted: 17.23hrs on Tue 25 Mar 14
Just wondering if anyone has been out this week (or over the weekend) with thoughts on touring conditions. I haven't been out for a couple of weeks but weather forecast looks good for tomorrow and Thursday, especially in the west.

I'd love to do a big day out in the N. Cairngorms, Grey Corries or Creag Meagaidh area but don't think they're realistic with travelling time too so I was thinking maybe about a route from Loch Tulla to the ski centre at Glencoe, or Ben Lawyers/ Glen Lyon area. Any info on the snow line or how much walking these might entail if you've been in the area? And if anyone has been out, how easy is travel at the moment? Last time I was out needed crampons on anything steep as it was all glazed. I'm hoping things might be a bit more “spring” like tomorrow.

Any reports/ advice welcome (and from anywhere else not mentioned too), thanks!
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Re: Touring this week Wed 26th/ Thursday 27th – conditions?
Date Posted: 20.12hrs on Tue 25 Mar 14
You should get yourself onto British Backcountry or Inverness Backcountry on Facebook ! Loads of info freely available there.
crouch_potato

Last Visited: 21:27
22nd Feb 2019
Date Posted: 12.22hrs on Thu 27 Mar 14
Cheers for the tips Gorminator. For anyone interested I ended up around Lawers area - posted a report in the "backcountry" section. Proper taps aff weather for much of the day so a mix of spring conditions and full on thaw. Despite the "cosmetic" loss of snow on some slopes/ ridges there's plenty of fun stuff to go at still (though I'd probably have headed elsewhere if I'd had longer time).

Good visiblity and looked like good cover on all of the higher slopes of stuff further West and South (i.e. East and N facing slopes), Lochaber-direction tops looking great too.
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 12.54hrs on Thu 27 Mar 14
good to know - might try and get up ben heasgarnich next weekend - it tends to hold the snow really well.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: