You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
benim83n

Last Visited: 12:13
17th Jul 2017
Ski touring advice
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Wed 26 Mar 14
Im Currantly working the Ski season in Schladming Austria (sods law i know...)
Anyway im planning on buying some new ski's that will be partly aimed at touring.

Ive been asking advice etc from friends out here but i need some advice on ski touring in scottish conditions as thats where i plan to do most of my touring.

Im intending buying Marker Duke bindings so i can use the ski's on piste (i know these are heavyer than pins and get iced up but im prepared for that)

How wide a ski should i be looking at? Im thinking 98 waste seems an accetable size. Il probably go for rockers as im obsessed with twin tips - will this create any serious problems?

In scottish conditions is it important to have skins the full length of the ski (tip to tip)

any other tips about skis or just genrally????

Thanks
brianwr

Last Visited: 20:09
26th Feb 2021
Re: Ski touring advice
Date Posted: 16.43hrs on Wed 26 Mar 14
Dukes are great bindings but weigh a ton and a half. Unless you are either extremely heavy or spend a lot of time hucking insane drops then consider the lighter alternatives, the Baron, Tour F12 or Tour F10. I have Dukes and the F12s and can't tell much difference between them skiing but can certainly feel the difference hauling the skis uphill!

Skiing in Scotland you will inevitably encounter ice so torsional stiffness is important. I personally like a ski with a bit of beef for crud busting etc but where you draw the line in weight vs downhill performance is very personal. Given you want to use them on piste, maybe weight not such a huge factor?

A bit of tip rocker, not a problem but remember you want them to hold an edge on that ice. :-)

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: