You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
firefly

Re: Work on installing the average speed cameras on the A9 starts on Monday...
Date Posted: 14.18hrs on Thu 30 Oct 14
My biggest worry is that the SPECS system will mean the traffic police just ignore the A9 and stop enforcement activity there. Also, having a police presence on the road acts as a deterrent to folk who'd otherwise drive like idiots. I suspect that'll now happen. Bad driving is bad driving, no matter what the speed.

I've driven the A9 three days on the bounce now, and noticed far fewer people willing to overtake the 50mph lorries on the single-carriageway sections. The bunching was worse than I'd normally expect, no doubt due to this reluctance. People seemed resigned to trundling along at 50mph.

Echoing Helen's comments, the overtaking 3 lane sections did not clear anything like the amount of traffic you would normally expect them to. Usually you'd get a few people 'making progress' on these overtaking manoeuvers, facilitating more cars being able to overtake the lorries and buses. What I actually saw were people trundling past and pulling in as soon as they were able. This meant queues remained which would normally have cleared.

What I'd like to see is a really smart SPECS system, in conjunction with a variable speed limit (similar to the ones you get on the M25). Depending on the volume of traffic (which the SPECS cameras could easily count), the speed limit varies.

Also, at 6 o'clock on a dry June morning, sections of the A9 are better and safer than many motorways. Why not turn the SPECS off and just have occasional police patrols?
Dunwerkin

Last Visited: 11:01
9th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 15.39hrs on Thu 30 Oct 14
What I would like to see are police patrols pulling over drivers who travel far too close to the vehicle in front to permit safe overtaking.

This especially applies to drivers of artic type vehicles, where the combined length of two artics is far far too great to overtake in one manoeuvre.

This is the cause of most frustration, in my humble opinion.

But, I rarely see police on the A9, apart from when they are lurking up a side road…………...

bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 15.54hrs on Mon 17 Nov 14
Dunwerkin Wrote:
What I would like to see are police patrols pulling over drivers who travel far too close to the vehicle in front to permit safe overtaking.

This especially applies to drivers of artic type vehicles, where the combined length of two artics is far far too great to overtake in one manoeuvre.

This is the cause of most frustration, in my humble opinion.

But, I rarely see police on the A9, apart from when they are lurking up a side road…………...

100% agree with this. Lines of 'ants' bunched up behind slower vehicles cause unnecessary frustration.
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.27hrs on Mon 17 Nov 14
I've driven the Inverness to Newtonmore section a few times since the cameras were switched on and can't say I noticed any problems. It felt slower and safer.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.10hrs on Mon 17 Nov 14
Donald...I'm giving you an open invitation to travel from Inverness to Newtonmore with me to see if I can switch you on and perhaps take care of some of your problems !! Then you can see if it feels safer etc.

Signed....George from Harris
bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 11.00hrs on Tue 18 Nov 14
To be fair it's the more southerly A9 with the higher traffic volume which is worst affected
firefly

Date Posted: 12.57hrs on Tue 18 Nov 14
Speed cameras in general are a lowest-common-denominator option to an intractable (or even insoluble) problem. Money doesn't exist to put police patrols on the road (it's been years since I saw Traffic Police cars on the road, and I don't mean mobile enforcement vans) to anything like the extent they're required, given the notorious reputation of the A9. The authorities' answer is to take the sledgehammer and crack the nut. However, when you apply such simplistic tactics you need to accept that there will be consequences to that. And those consequences are longer journey times and more frustration for drivers: particularly 'locals', who know the roads and where best to overtake. Prohibiting safe overtaking, even if this means exceeding the limit for a period, has to be safer than a dozen cars bunching up behind a lorry and their drivers getting frustrated. This is no longer an option.

Also, who - through not fault of their own - has been delayed by a road accident or similar, and finds themselves late for an appointment or a flight? Is it reasonable for that person, who normally drives at/about the speed limit and has a clean licence, to in this instance exceed the limit to make that appointment? In the world of binary enforcement, no, it's not.

In the old days pre-speed cameras, an individual's chance of being caught was balanced against the risk that person posed to society. In other words, if someone sped at all times then he or she would be caught by police patrols fairly quickly. But, the sensible driver who obeyed the limit the vast majority of the time (exceeding the limit only when it was absolutely necessary), would most likely evade being caught because of this occasional transgression. However, unlike police patrols, cameras cannot detect defective tyres, driving without due care and attention, dodgy brakes, poorly maintained vehicles etc. They deal only in miles per hour, and as such are a very poor substitute for genuine road safety. But, in 21st century Scotland (as the rest of the UK), cameras are headline grabbing and a cheap alternative to proper enforcement.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.27hrs Tue 18 Nov 14 by firefly.
pinhead27

Last Visited: 10:03
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.35hrs on Tue 18 Nov 14
Gorminator Wrote:
Donald ... to see if I can switch you on and perhaps take care of some of your problems !!

It doesn't appear to be Donald who has the problem?!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.36hrs Tue 18 Nov 14 by pinhead27.
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 16.42hrs on Tue 18 Nov 14
I travelled down the A9 on sunday afternoon. I was of the opinion that the cameras had help traffic until I drove past Bruar. This nutter in a Saab was weaving in and out causing the issues that plague the road.

Impatient driving.

How much time is saved by driving in this ridiculous manner?

I do wonder how many lives will be saved in the first year of operation. I dread to say it but I don't think it will have the effect that the government hope.
Gorminator

11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.27hrs on Tue 18 Nov 14
What do you mean Pinhead ?
DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.18hrs on Tue 18 Nov 14
I drove down and up again today Gorminator. This time to Aviemore and then back from Kingussie. Again it felt safer I thought.

It really isn't the huge issue that people are making out.
Gorminator

11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.33hrs on Tue 18 Nov 14
I was on it today and there was some dodgy overtaking at Slochd Cottages junction and again at Kinveachy Quarry ! Not to mention the Inverness Taxi that never checked his mirror and pulled out as I was overtaking....just south of the Carrbridge junction.

So it's situation normal !!! On the ball driving still required !!
mdearman

Last Visited: 07:28
11th Jan 2019
Date Posted: 10.26hrs on Tue 25 Nov 14
I drove Aviemore to Perth and back in my Transporter recently. i have never driven at 50 on single carriageway and it sucks but I have little doubt that there will be less accidents and the road did seem safer. We collectively brought this on ourselves by driving like assholes, live with it.
DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.29hrs on Tue 25 Nov 14
Very well put.

I have a Renault Trafic which was an LCV but is now re-registered as a "motor caravan" so I think I can go at 60mph.
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.28hrs on Wed 26 Nov 14
Hi

It's worth stating that if you drive a van between 2000KG GVW and 3500KG GVW then your speed limits are 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on duals.

If you drive a motorhome (maybe a self build) that is not registered on the V5 as 'motorcaravan' then you speed limits are as above. Note that some smaller manufacturers using pre-registered vehicles do not re-register. Check your V5.

If you have a motorhome that is registered as a 'motorcaravan' on the V5, then your speed limits are the same as cars PROVIDED that the MAM is 3050KG or under. The MAM is the weight after conversion, but before you put your stuff in it. If your motorhome has a GVW over 3500KG i.e 3650,3750,4250,5000 then it is unlikely that your MAM is under 3050KG if you get a ticket, based on vehicle weight (ie get done for doing 60 on single carriageways) you could goto a weigh bridge to find your MAM and use the official ticketing from weighbridge to challenge the speeding ticket.

Nigel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23.34hrs Wed 26 Nov 14 by veletron.
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: