You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
tim1mw

SkiTracks App
Date Posted: 18.40hrs on Wed 2 Apr 14
Has anybody else here used this App? I'm thinking about getting the Android version. I currently use ViewRanger to record my Skiing days, but SkiTracks looks like it would do a nice job of analysing the day and providing a more detailed record.

Python, Monty wrote:
My philosophy, like colour television, is all there in black and white

EhanBlake

Re: SkiTracks App
Date Posted: 20.54hrs on Wed 2 Apr 14
Never used it. Personally I use Alpine Replay which seems really accurate with the stats and it has a nicer layout that Ski tracks. Not to sure if it's on android but if it is it should be free like the iOS version.
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.23hrs on Wed 2 Apr 14
I've used it. its not too bad and the developer is very proactive in sorting issues out.

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.20hrs on Wed 2 Apr 14
It's good for telling you where you have been, but it does have "issues" about it's stats. So max speed at lunch time a couple of weeks ago in Tignes was 104km/h. Gained in a schuss, I hasten to add, a welly or walk situation and I am lazy. I don't ski like that on normal pistes. However at the end of the day it was apparently only 90km/h. Which was actually another schuss, the one down to the cable car in Le Fornet.

Then there was the couloir we skied down that was allegedly a 29° slope, yeah if that was 29° I am a banana.

Another issue was starting it outside the hotel in the morning, and stopping it at the same place in the evening, my ascent and descent did not match up. I think that is down to rounding errors, but it looks daft.

Other than that is is rather good. At least I know where I have been on my last holiday which is more than can usually be said. The result of following mountain guides around I hasten to add.

My Xperia Z1 Compact battery was only down to ~80% at the end of a day's skiing, though I had it in airplane mode so as to avoid interfering with transceivers. What it is like on other phones I don't know.

My only gripe is that it does not identify "climbs". Stats on how long and how far I climbed would be nice. Needs a "touring" mode where it notices slow uphills are not lifts.
kevinboyle82

Last Visited: 14:25
6th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 10.19hrs on Thu 3 Apr 14
EhanBlake Wrote:
Never used it. Personally I use Alpine Replay which seems really accurate with the stats and it has a nicer layout that Ski tracks. Not to sure if it's on android but if it is it should be free like the iOS version.

I use Alpine Replay too. It's knowledge of the lifts / runs is obviously better abroad, but it's been good at stat tracking in shee.
Piperfraz

Last Visited: 17:36
3rd Mar 2017
Date Posted: 16.48hrs on Thu 3 Apr 14
Can anyone give some info on how it affects battery life? Interested but can only imagine that it would use a lot of power.
EhanBlake

Date Posted: 17.11hrs on Thu 3 Apr 14
I lost about 50% on an iPhone 5c while listening to music all day. I can only imagine older phones losing a lot more.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 08.09hrs on Fri 4 Apr 14
Thanks guys tips! I wasn't aware of Alpine Replay, so I'll check that out as well before making my final choice.

jabuzzard Wrote:
It's good for telling you where you have been, but it does have "issues" about it's stats. So max speed at lunch time a couple of weeks ago in Tignes was 104km/h. Gained in a schuss, I hasten to add, a welly or walk situation and I am lazy. I don't ski like that on normal pistes. However at the end of the day it was apparently only 90km/h. Which was actually another schuss, the one down to the cable car in Le Fornet.

I do the same, I have a GPS armband logger which records maximum speed and I've hit ~90kph on that same schuss.

EhanBlake Wrote:
I lost about 50% on an iPhone 5c while listening to music all day. I can only imagine older phones losing a lot more.

My old Nokia X6 lost about the same running Viewranger. However, that phone had pretty remarkable battery life so it probably did better than other phones of a similar age.
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.42hrs on Fri 4 Apr 14
I use the Ski Tracks App and I think it's brilliant. Finds all lifts at Glencoe and Glenshee in my experience. I haven't had many weird results at all. Maybe one or two excessive speeds but I've seen some short runs not recorded (like between 2 ski lifts) - again not too significant.

It works on GPS alone - so turn off WiFi and Mobile Data - they are way bigger drains on your battery. On a day with say 25 miles of skiing I find it leaves me with (usually) at least 30% battery, with a quieter day (e.g. a v busy Saturday with queues and my son with me) I may get only 6 or 7 miles and have 60% battery left

It provides great dumps of photos and tracks to facebook .. not sure if setings will let you see this (tried to open up but didn't see an option, so this may not work) ... have a look at [www.facebook.com] for examples
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: